Does the rear spoiler serve any purpose? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester XT
Does the rear spoiler serve any purpose?

I bought a 2011 XT that already had the spoiler installed. It looks ugly. Does it do any good? Or is it merely a go fast looking bauble?

2011 Forester XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

I don't really understand why but the spoilers they say that have brake lights in them don't, at least for 2009 and up. The 2008 and below had some spoilers with brake lights IN THEM.

It irks me when even the own car manufacturer's site is wrong about the car's features or whatever. That information is coming from the camel's mouth, after all.

It provides more weight albeit not a significant amount. As for aerodynamics, I'm pretty sure it doesn't serve any significant benefit like the spoiler does for the Nissan GT-R. But what do I know? I didn't design the Subaru Forester :D!

Until I finally gain enough interest to study the mechanics of the spoiler on the Subaru Forester and what benefits it offers, I'll keep my desire for having one. I like how the Subaru Forester looks with the spoiler. It looks a bit less attractive without it since, to me, slopping rear windows with a rising belt line is a huge no-no and obvious blindspot creator. The rear spoiler sort of evens it out and helps regain what compromise the Subaru Forester had to make to have that style of windows. Hopefully Subaru DOESN'T start slopping the windows more and more and rising the belt line more and more. Might as well call it the Honda CR-V's cousin by that time.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Kia Rio
Transmission: Automatic
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoken View Post
I bought a 2011 XT that already had the spoiler installed. It looks ugly. Does it do any good? Or is it merely a go fast looking bauble?
It's a G.F.L.B. (go fast looking bauble).

Peeps like the look (you obviously don't, hehe).

Whatever 'gain' you might get from it is negligible.

...just my 2 cents, which isn't worth 1 cent anymore...

2013 Kia Rio EX
Signal Red
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 AM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
If anything, it helps keep your rear window a little cleaner, although the actual rear dust deflector (do they still offer that on the new models?) probably does a better job at it.

My husband swears up and down that the rear spoiler helps stabilize the car in strong crosswinds when you go fast enough (i.e. fast enough to get you ticketed - think 3 digit speeds), but honestly I think that's just the result of displacing enough air from the front of the car to create a buffer around the sides.

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Sports XT
98% of spoilers you see on average roadgoing cars have no actual effect on performance. The Forester is no different. They are primarily for looks, so if you don't like the look it doesn't do you any good.

It does direct a little bit of air over the back window which helps get dirt/water off of it, but even that is pretty negligible.

'07 FSXT WRB protuned VF39
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
The initial purpose of a spoiler is to break up the airflow from the back of the car to reduce drag. However it is mostly now done for looks as it is an optional accessory, same as the front bumper lip etc.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
has awakened!

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
I personally feel the rear dust deflector is very functional for keeping the rear glass clean & it was my first choice for my '07, but I did this. IMO the rear spoiler breakes up the squareness of the SG Forester & does channel some of the air flow over the glass.

If my '07 was a darker color, I would have gone for the rear dust deflector. We the rear dust defector on our '03. It looks great & does a much better job of keeping the rear glass clean.

As I see it:
  • If you want functionality, go for the rear dust deflector.
  • If you want appearance, go for the rear spoiler.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester X Premium
If you don't like it, get rid of it. If you ever put a box on the roof there are problems opening the rear hatch.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 0408
Car Model: Forester XT Sports
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
98% of spoilers you see on average roadgoing cars have no actual effect on performance. The Forester is no different. They are primarily for looks, so if you don't like the look it doesn't do you any good.

It does direct a little bit of air over the back window which helps get dirt/water off of it, but even that is pretty negligible.
Wouldn't it have to continue across the entire car to the end of the spoiler to have any effect? As far as mine goes, there's a fat 3 inch+ gap that spans most of the width of the car between the rear hatch and the inside edge of the spoiler.

I want mine gone, it's ugly; I don't want two holes in the hatch though either =[
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoken View Post
The splash guards, bumper underguard and spoiler on my 2008 LLB were installed at the Port-of-Entry accessory installation facility, and printed on the window sticker. I didn't like the cost or the looks of the spoiler, either.

Like all SUVs, the Forester already is a Kammback for which a spoiler serves no aerodynamic purpose.
Kammback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The slot between the spoiler and the body does work well as an air deflector to keep the rear window relatively dust-free.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X Sport
As everyone noted, it is not functional in the aspect of reducing lift or adding downforce. In fact, spoilers on most cars actually creates drag and has been tested by a few people to actually hurt gas mileage. It's mainly a just for looks thing.

Those gaps on the spoilers for SUV/CUV's and hatchbacks probably serve the purpose of deflecting dust off the rear window. Like Bobby pointed out, a dust deflector would work a lot better.

'09 Sports 2.5X 4EAT
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1980 View Post
... it is not functional in the aspect of reducing lift or adding downforce. In fact, spoilers on most cars actually creates drag...
Those gaps on the spoilers for SUV/CUV's and hatchbacks probably serve the purpose of deflecting dust off the rear window. Like Bobby pointed out, a dust deflector would work a lot better.
Wings are what reduce lift and add downforce.

Spoilers reduce drag on cars that have rounded rear ends.

Wings add drag, and spoilers reduce drag.

The slotted "spoiler" on the flat-ended Foresters is a cosmetic item that is only effective as a dust deflector.

The Forester's slotted spoiler does keep its rear window cleaner than our two other very different cars: a Buick sedan, and a Scion xB that does not have a slotted spoiler that I could have bought.

Inasmuch as my Forester's slotted spoiler keeps its rear window cleaner than either of those two cars, I cannot say that a dedicated dust deflector would work a lot better.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: forester
the spoiler reduces drag (not sure how effective)

The design is to pull air from the turbulent stream as it flows off the roof edge and force it down into the low pressure zone created by the car. Not only does the high pressure air in front of the car contribute to drag but also the low pressure behind the car.

honestly I dont think anyone would notice much of a difference driving with or without it and it may only be 'effective' at high speeds for long duration...i left it on my lunchbox because i think mostly stock look is hot

02 forester S, 5mt, 2.5L n/a
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by souz4402 View Post
the spoiler reduces drag (not sure how effective)...
The Porsche body shape needs a spoiler to reduce drag, and Porsche went to great expense to provide one.
The Forester box-ended body receives no additional aerodynamic benefit from its "spoiler".
Spoilers work not by deflecting air downward, but by breaking up (spoiling) any smoothness of the air flowing off the rear of the car. The lips added to trunk lids of sedans actually deflect air upward to do this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
curious to what this rear dust deflector looks like for the 09+

dont have much experience with the forester, just got it less than 2 months ago, but my experience with hatchbacks and spoilers it helps to keep the rear hatch cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.