('14+) 2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced! - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had aftermarket glass installed and have eyesight. Hasn't been a problem for me. I do have a few rattles and a new chip but nothing serious to the eyesight system at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Luckily I haven't had a broken windshield yet, but it's only a matter of time. I would like to have some of the parts mentioned in this thread handy for when it breaks in the event the installer doesn't have them.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the cowl clips and the corner covers. I tried to find them on subaruonlineparts.com in their repair parts section. I looked under 'body parts' then the 'windshield' and 'cowl' sections and can't seem to find them. I also couldn't find the foam gasket on the dashboard either(the diagram doesn't match the OP's one but it does mention a cushion as #12 , maybe it's the one). Hopefully someone here can help me.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1950
Car Model: nunya
As a followup, I want to say how many little things Safelite screwed up.

1. They replaced all of the trim clips with cheap, loose parts.

2. They glued two trim pieces back on, with black goop oozing out from the edges.

3. They placed the wipers back on at the wrong angle

4. They forgot to reconnect the windshield wiper spray nozzles, which we didn't figure out until we tried to clean off the pollen while driving and nothing came out. The engine bay was nice and soaked, though...

I called USAA and Safelite and they fixed most of the issues. The cheap clips are still there and the trim still seems looser than it should be.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT Ltd Tech
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just had the glass replaced on my '16 XT.

The dealer-contracted folks did a decent job (thankfully, the glass came w/ the moulding pre-applied at the factory), but broke the cowl side trim piece on the driver's side. Dealer is ordering the part, so hopefully it won't be broken for too long. Being held in place with some dealer-provided sticky tack at the moment...
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT Premium
Garage
I had Satellite do mine happy no problems.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 AM
New User

Car Model: Forester
Safelite just replaced mine. I wish I'd have known about all of the widespread issues Subaru owners are having with the windshields so that I could have asked for more information from the repairman. He seemed to do a good job, but do have some plastic things that are loose in the corners of the windshield near the wipers. Only time will tell, but if I have to get another one replaced soon I feel like all hell will break loose.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
Bumping an old thread...

I have a 2015 with Eyesight and getting my windshield replaced next week with OEM.

My insurance claims adjuster was a real douche, and basically refused OEM (Even after I explained the whole Eyesight needs Subaru glass and whatnot) she continued, saying the aftermarket was "just as good", even went so far as saying I would have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed if I went somewhere out of their network (Sefelite) NOPE, Unacceptable!

I've been with this insurance company for about 10 years and never filed a claim, so this experience was a real eye opener.

Anyway, a phone call to their corporate office... I'm now getting OEM with the molding installed - thanks to the helpful tips from the original post - and getting it installed from the dealer recommended installer who has experience replacing windshields with Eyesight.

As a side note, the main insurance claims adjuster I spoke with and the recommended installer both mentioned that there is NO equivalent aftermarket glass for the Forester equipped with Eyesight.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Forum Member

I have aftermarket glass with eyesight and it's completely fine. It definitely works because it prevented me from bumping into a person in front of me recently. Safelite did the work for me.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSub View Post
I have aftermarket glass with eyesight and it's completely fine. It definitely works because it prevented me from bumping into a person in front of me recently. Safelite did the work for me.
Eh, who knows... I'm definitely not saying aftermarket glass wont work, just saying that I was told there is no equivalent.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT Touring
Three weeks in... :( guess I'll be figuring this out for our Forester.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 2.5i CVT
I had my windshield replaced by USA Replacement Auto Glass today.
I requested OEM from my Insurance (Ameriprise).
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Jundi View Post
Eh, who knows... I'm definitely not saying aftermarket glass wont work, just saying that I was told there is no equivalent.
So funny that you say this. Since I last posted this I have gotten 3 chips and a 2 foot long Crack along my wiper blade Haha.

Safelite replaced it this morning and when I got it back I noticed that the molding on top is all folded. It looked horrible. I couldn't believe they even tried to pass this on to me. They also melted one of the moldings that goes along the bottom of the windows on both driver and passenger side. I knew something was fishy when they handed my keys and didn't walk me out to show me the worm.

The manager was very apologetic and they even agreed it needs to be replaced.

On another note they told me they get a lot of wranglers and foresters in constantly and the oem glass isn't any better regarding durability. They didn't care if I wanted to order oem but it would just take longer to get. Folks that replace it with oem are having issues even with them.

Last edited by TheSub; 10-13-2015 at 08:43 PM.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Forum Member

I just got my second replacement now, this time they actually called me and told how bad the previous install was and asked if I had wind noise and other problems. (another firm did previous install)

Its perfectly centered this time also.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Wiper De-Icer / Deicer

For those who have the Eye-Sight and Winter Package (i.e. Wiper De-icer), the aftermarket windshields do NOT seem to have de-icer capabilities.
So I guess OEM is the only way to go.
Hope this helps. I'm currently in the process of getting this sorted out. :/
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Hmm, actually, maybe I'll try this tomorrow...

----------------------------
04-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Mtech1
New User
Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Subaru Forester
Transmission: automatic 4 speed
I just had the windshield replaced on my 2012 Forester and wanted to make sure the wiper deicer was connected and working. My vehicle has the automatic temperature control with dual temperature settings. The right hand control knob on the Heat/AC panel is labeled front defrost on top and rear defrost on the bottom. The ambient air temperature for this test was 65 degrees F.

After some research this is what I did: 1. I turned the ignition switch to on and pushed the rear defrost button--the light came on. Using an infrared thermometer a few minutes later the temperature was 80 to 82 degrees F. I checked the wiper area and it stayed at 65 degrees. I turned everything off and returned to the computer.

Someone mentioned that the temperature had to be below 40 degrees F for the wiper deicers to work, but they also mentioned that holding the rear defrost button down for 3 seconds would turn on the wiper deicers bypassing the 40 degree limitation--so;

2. Turned on the ignition switch and held the rear defrost button down it stayed on for about 2-3 seconds, then blinked and came on again. After a few minutes I checked the wiper area with the infrared thermometer and the temperature was at about 100 degrees F.

So if you use 2 above you can verify if your wiper deicers are connected and working.

Hope this helps.
Mtech

--------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode