('14+) 2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
New User
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: XTP
Transmission: Fancy Rubber Band
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced!

So I go thru windshields like they're made of candy it seems... My 2014 is now on its 5th one if I have the count right, this one due to improper install of the last one a couple months ago (tech cracked the corner of tyhe glass installing the cowl trim cover). So some things I found from the new tech that may be useful to anyone having it done...

1) Try to insist on having a windshield put in that has the molding (rubber trim on sides and top) pre-installed from the factory. If the installer has to install the trim and has does not have super steady hands, the molding will not be straight on the windshield, and once installed it will never look right. It will appear to be uneven, this is especially noticeable across the top.

In this photo, is an example of the molding not being applied correctly. If you look from side to side you'll notice the black area gets larger from passenger to drivers side. From the front it is very noticeable, and looks very crooked all the way across.
2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced!-1421131734375.jpg

2) Ensure the tech has replacement clips for the cowl panel, the ones across the center are extremely easy to break and you'll develop rattles if not installed. The tech that did my last one left out 4.

Cowl clip:
2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced!-1421131783859.jpg
Empty clip hole (yes my engine is dirty, it is an off road vehicle!)
2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced!-1421131800730.jpg

3) There is a foam gasket that goes between the dash panel and the windshield, ensure its not damaged when the old window is cut out, if they use a pull knife around the edges from the outside it should be alright. If they use a wire cutter from the inside out, odds are 99% that it will be damaged. Insist that the gasket gets replaced, you'll thank yourself later (no rattles). If they don't have or know about it, self adhesive weatherstrip about 1\4" wide will work.

This is my dash redone with home depot weatherstrip (cheaper and easier then the dealer part):
2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced!-1421131754643.jpg
Foam gasket is #20 in this diagram:
2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced!-screenshot_2015-01-12-22-39-35.jpg

4) Make sure they properly prime the window channel, mine had a couple rust spots that needed to be fixed because the previous installer did not prime scrape marks from cutting correctly.

5) The cowl side trim panels in each lower corner of the windshield are extremely easy to damage (break the plastic snaps) when removed, make sure they are sitting snug against the body, if not odds are the snaps have been damaged, this will also cause rattles. Also make sure the glass has not been damaged or cracked at the corner, the covers are difficult to remove and the glass is fragile at these locations.

This is a corner cover that was installed one time, the center snap was broken off the first time it came out:
2014+ Windshield replacement notes, read if having replaced!-1421131768030.jpg

That's about it for now... BTW if having a windshield installed in a hot area (Las Vegas etc) ask for a Pilkington EZ KOOL replacement, the interior temps are night and day and it has additional UV protection as well as thermal rejection, also seems to hold up to chips much much better...
Eyesight windshields may have to be Subaru glass only, I have not found a aftermarket manufacturer that is endorsed by Subaru for an eyesight windshield, if you find one please post...

subietoo, Alex.F and admacdon like this.

Last edited by FishingFoz; 03-03-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Transmission: CVT
Subscribed for reference. Once the chip in my windshield progresses to a crack, I'll need to have mine replaced... Hopefully when it's a little warmer out though. Good info. Thanks!

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Admin

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stickied for easy reference.

I had problems with numbers 2 and 5, but my replacement glass (Subaru glass) has lasted longer than my factory glass did.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Forum Member

Same here, issue with item 2 and 5. Safelite did the work. Luckily the OEM parts are cheap at the dealer.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Scion xB
I am on my 3rd windshield and give it a few months before I have another. Had Safelite replace it each time. Will check it out tomorrow morning to see if they screwed something up.

2010 Scion xB 5-Speed
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
#5 was broken when my windshield was replaced but I got a new one scavenged from their loaner car.

Is it possible to inspect the foaming (3) you are talking about?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
New User
Contributing Member

I can't think of an easy method to actually see the foam with the window installed, as the ceramic coating on the glass covers it. Maybe if you got the right angle with a mirror and flashlight. However its really one of those things that will show by symptom (rattles) if you can't check it just prior to the window going in.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFoz View Post
ask for a Pilkington EZ KOOL replacement, the interior temps are night and day and it has UV protection (Subaru glass has none)
At least in Australia all the glass is UV rated and I doubt they do it just for us. The windshield and sunroof glass supposedly blocks 99% of UV, the front side windows 83%, and the privacy glass of the rear sides and back window 93%.

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
New User
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman View Post
At least in Australia all the glass is UV rated and I doubt they do it just for us. The windshield and sunroof glass supposedly blocks 99% of UV, the front side windows 83%, and the privacy glass of the rear sides and back window 93%.
You're correct in that it does block a significant portion of the UV, so I will update the information. Sorry I was given bad info and should have worded it better & done better research..

Although I'm not so sure about the sunroof, is it laminated or tempered? I do know for sure the addition of ceramic tint to the sunroof significantly cut down on the interior heat....
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFoz View Post
Although I'm not so sure about the sunroof, is it laminated or tempered? I do know for sure the addition of ceramic tint to the sunroof significantly cut down on the interior heat....
I don't know as I haven't seen one, but given it supposedly blocks 99% of the UV radiation it is likely to be laminated glass. Heat is transmitted by infrared radiation, not UV.

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
New User
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman View Post
Heat is transmitted by infrared radiation, not UV.
No one is debating science, the suggestion of the tint and alternative windshield was to reduce cabin heat levels. The UV mention was more so as it's damaging to the interior, and us.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1950
Car Model: nunya
My 14 + Eyesight has a long Crack and needs to be replaced. The manual and dealer say OEM only, so I checked with Safelite (USAA insurance) and they said that what they were going to install wasn't OEM, and that they can't put in a request for it.

They also mentioned that the glass they use might require us to have the Eyesight recalibrated by the dealer. It's odd that they knew about the Eyesight before we even mentioned the OEM replacement requirement. To my knowledge, dealers don't mess with the Eyesight calibration... Right?

Any help would be nice.

Also, we had multiple chips on our latest road trip and now this. I've never experienced a windshield so prone to cracking! Three previous Subarus and others...

Last edited by gathermewool; 03-25-2015 at 06:04 AM.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Forum Member

Good news! USAA approved the use of an OEM windshield. We just need to wait for it to get to Safelite, hopefully in one piece.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
New User
Contributing Member

Sorry about the late response, but yes even the FSM says that OEM glass is required. One can naturally assume that the reason would be concerns about optical clarity and distortion as it relates to the system. I reviewed the procedures for the system calibration and verification (can post them if anyone wants some really boring reading), and while the actual test is quite simple, the setup is tedious. The blanket statements regarding OEM only naturally are there to remove any liability on Subarus part when it comes to the operation of the system. Glad your insurance is working with you!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Forum Member

If I knew for a fact that aftermarket glass was superior to OEM, then I'd go with it in a heart beat. So far, the OEM glass seems very prone to chipping and cracking. It could also be that the windshield is pretty much perpendicular to the ground (an exaggeration, I know.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode