Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anyone here in Japan?

24K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  broadbean 
#1 ·
Just curious if any of our members are in Japan? I'm in the middle of nowhere with my SG5 Foz and pretty much rely on strictly the internet and my own intuition. Would be nice to learn of some friendlies who have more experience than I do.
:bananapartyhat:

#36 ·
Mt. Fuji was a blast! It sucks going down because you're walking down at a backwards angle with so much pressure on your knees. I felt like a 90yr old man with bad knees for a week!
Used to be stationed at Yokota AB and it was the best two years of my life! Never going back to Kadena (baby jesus willing) though. Not a fan of all the blanket punishments.

#40 ·
Hi guys! I’m a newbie on this forum but not to Japan, having been here for over 8 years now. I’m in Kanagawa, just south of Tokyo, though can’t help on the car-front as I’m currently car-less. However, I’m hoping to rectify that with a Forester purchase later this year!

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the welcome! I'm fairly flexible as to model, though from a financial point of view I'm probably looking at second generation, early to mid-2000s. For me, Subaru = 4WD turbo, so a turbocharger would be nice, despite the hike in fuel, insurance and tax costs. Ideally, I'd also prefer a manual over an automatic though from what I've seen over here to date, there are far more of the latter, so I may have to give up on that. Dare I say it, I'm also thinking about a Legacy Touring Wagon. Anyway, first thing's first, I need to get behind the wheel of a few, as my only Subaru driving experience was about 18 years ago when I nearly bought an Impreza turbo!

#46 ·
Hey guys!

I'll be in country beginning of May. @Mikku, I'll be in your prefecture so we'll have to get together sometime. I picked up a 97 Vivio RXR, pretty excited to get into country and pick it up.

I also suggest joining this group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/655634874617601/. The guy who runs it just purchased a shop near Zama and he seems to have access to Tokyo USS.

@oneroo; Japan isn't like the US in respect to junk yards. Because it's a small island, space is very desirable. That said, to have cars sitting on land waiting to be picked apart is not very profitable. If you're looking for parts, I highly suggest Yahoo Auction Japan. I'm not 100% sure how to win, pay or get items shipped but you can window shop until I can tell you how to do those things!

#47 ·
Hi Tank,

Yes, found out as much just before I went there. I also didn't make it to any auto parts store, not as commonplace as I thought, plus none close to my destinations. But...car watching is phenomenal!!! Didn't get to drive there, probably for the best : )

Chigasaki is a pretty nice little town. Took a bike ride to Enoshima island, that was a lot of fun! Enjoy your trip.

#50 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in replying. Glad you had a good time over here oneroo. I love Enoshima, which is also going to be the venue for the Olympic sailing in 2020. Anyway, back to cars, I haven't been on here for a while as I've been busy foraging for a Forester in and around Kanagawa and am pleased to report that I have found one!! After looking at half a dozen plus cars and test-driving a couple more, I've bought a 2003 Cross Sports turbo. It's standard spec with approx. 55,000 miles on the clock and full Subaru dealer history, meaning the all-important timing belt change has been done. I have to wade through a mountain of paperwork before I can pick it up but I can't wait!! I've attached a couple of teaser pics below.

I'm not on FB tanktheory, so do you have any more details about that guy and/or his shop in Zama? Thanks!

Attachments

#51 ·
Damn, nice Forester. I can't believe how clean it is.

There are some good shops around here. John Draper owns Iconic Cars, he's the one I mentioned before. I need to get a pin to his shop for you.

There's also STF Tuning, they tune, do body/paint and custom fab work, really great place- Ask for Danny if you ever go. This is the address for STF Kanagawa Prefecture, Sagamihara, Midori Ward, Nishihashimoto, 4 Chome−14−13.

If you're interested in meeting up sometime (I'm in Zama), just shoot me a message. I think a few of us are going to Daikokufuto this Friday if you're interested.

#52 ·
Thanks man! I'll post some better pics when I finally pick up the car.

Would love to hit up Daikokufuto one day but weekdays are really difficult for me as I don't finish work until late, so tonight's out but maybe another time. Thanks for the offer anyway.

If you're in Zama, I guess you've already checked out the Nissan Heritage Collection. If you haven't, you really must make it a top priority, even though there's no Subaru in sight! The motorsport section in particular is pure petrolhead heaven!!

#54 ·
Snow Chains

Following a recent house move, I now travel between Tokyo and Fukui every month. The use of snow chains has just become a legal requirement on parts of the Hokuriku Expressway (that I use), so having just bought a set of studless tyres, I now need to invest in some snow chains!! Having never used, let alone bought any before, has anyone living in Japan got any recommendations for brand, type or supplier? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.