Window motor removal and replacement? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 03
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Window motor removal and replacement?

How exactly do you remove the driver's side window motor? I've removed the trim and can see the motor but it appears that the screws are inside the door structure and only visible with a mirror. I don't want to undo anything and risk releasing tension in any springs. Is there a procedure for removing this motor posted anywhere?

2003 Forester
Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

This might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Regulator and Motor Assembly.pdf (47.1 KB, 5950 views)
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default How to remove Window Glass?

Thanks Silke. Do you have information on the window removal referenced?

"Remove the door glass. <Ref. to GW-16, REMOVAL,
Front Door Glass."
Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

Here ya go...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Door Glass.pdf (107.8 KB, 4042 views)
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Can you remove window motor with glass in place?

The instructions for removing the window motor have you first remove the glass. The problem here is that it tells you to drive the window down to access screws to remove the sash. If the motor doesn't work, you can't access them! Is there another way to get this motor out? I've tried reaching in and loosening the mounting screws but they're too tight and with a Philips head you don't get much leverage. Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Default How did replacing your window motor go for you?

This is exactly what I'm spending my day doing today. I've got a 2003 Forester X that I need to replace the drivers door window motor.

I know I've got to remove the glass first, but then there seems to be a wound spring coil that's putting tension on the linkage inside. That makes me nervous. I don't want to unscrew stuff that's going to be impossible to put back together.

How did you go about doing this? I'm literally getting my tools together now and heading to my car to to check it out. I've got my replacement motor and I'm all ready to go.

Please let me know!

thanks so much
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XS

Thank goodness it's summer. The right REAR motor on my 06 just died today with the glass in the fully down position. I have isolated the problem to the motor. Do any readers have instructions on replacing the motor when the window is stuck DOWN?

Thanks to all!

Chris
Portland, OR
Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: GM67 + 03 SG
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I just recently completed this task and it took a bit longer than I wanted. However, it is done, the re-manufactured motor is in and the window works and the OEM is headed back for a core charge rebate.

I did everything BUT remove the glass, though I did try that route for a while. I wanted to remove the motor and slider assembly, but the only way to do that is through the top of the door. This means removing the glass. That wasn't happening with the bolts and everything holding the glass to the slider. So, I went a different route.

With a screwdriver bit and a mirror, I removed the three screws that hold the motor to the assembly and popped it out through the speaker hole. I also loosened the 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the inner door skin in order to pry the motor from between the assembly and the door skin. You can't get the motor out without pushing the assembly towards the outer door skin, and this cannot be done without removing/loosening the 4 bolts that hold the assembly in place.

A bit of finagling with the new one, some bumping of the motor to get the gears to seat correctly and everything went back together perfectly.

This was after two days of removing bolts, nuts and other parts and trying to get the square pieces out of the round holes. Without removing the glass, there is just no easy way to remove the whole assembly. With the window pulled all the way up (which was something I could do by hand, not sure if others are similar) I had zero risk of the spring giving me any issues. It only helps pull the window up, so with the window up, the spring is not exerting any force on the assembly.

It took some extra time, but just removing the three screws and the 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the door skin proved the best route.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5 speed

HAHA I tried doing AJ711 way but stripped the dumb screws haha. So now i have to take the glass out somewhere. What a pain this has been for me.
sumpunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X MT Dual Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ711 View Post
I just recently completed this task and it took a bit longer than I wanted. However, it is done, the re-manufactured motor is in and the window works and the OEM is headed back for a core charge rebate.

I did everything BUT remove the glass, though I did try that route for a while. I wanted to remove the motor and slider assembly, but the only way to do that is through the top of the door. This means removing the glass. That wasn't happening with the bolts and everything holding the glass to the slider. So, I went a different route.

With a screwdriver bit and a mirror, I removed the three screws that hold the motor to the assembly and popped it out through the speaker hole. I also loosened the 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the inner door skin in order to pry the motor from between the assembly and the door skin. You can't get the motor out without pushing the assembly towards the outer door skin, and this cannot be done without removing/loosening the 4 bolts that hold the assembly in place.

A bit of finagling with the new one, some bumping of the motor to get the gears to seat correctly and everything went back together perfectly.

This was after two days of removing bolts, nuts and other parts and trying to get the square pieces out of the round holes. Without removing the glass, there is just no easy way to remove the whole assembly. With the window pulled all the way up (which was something I could do by hand, not sure if others are similar) I had zero risk of the spring giving me any issues. It only helps pull the window up, so with the window up, the spring is not exerting any force on the assembly.

It took some extra time, but just removing the three screws and the 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the door skin proved the best route.
Awesome post, thanks for doing the hard work for us! Mark this one guys.

Mine in progress:

It was stuck in the upper position, thought the motor was fried. Took out the motor with the above method, and it was working. Put it back and suddenly everything works. Think the mechanism was just stuck.
LoopSoosStroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2003
Transmission: Automatic
Default How Do I

Earlier today I rolled my drivers side window down with the aut roll down feature and shortly after my window would not go back up could someone help me by telling me how too fix this and if it is the motor or something else that may be wrong thanks for viewing
Brentaustin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: '08
Car Model: SGM FSXT
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I just had the driver rear window motor go out on me. Never had one go out on a car this new.

Pleiad7: Do you have literature on this door?
TwoupTwodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000

It would be best to test the switch first, I thought I had motor failure, thankfully it was the switch.
H-Stock #78 --- f --- Omz's Foz
onemanzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: '08
Car Model: SGM FSXT
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I was hoping mine was the switch. I swapped over the switch from the passenger side and it still didn't work. You can hear it click when you try to go down but when pulling the switch up, nothing. Circuits are fine but the motor is done. Kind of disappointed that my 2008 is broken already.
TwoupTwodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: 2.0X
Transmission: Manual

Hi,

Last weekend took the panel off to try and replace this motor and am amazed at how complex these things have become - well it's been 20 years since I last had to replace a window motor.

Don't fancy whipping out the glass so am going to try and get at the motor from the inside using the method described above. Just one question before I start - can you let me know which size philips driver to use - and what type of driver will fit in that gap?

Thanks,

Will
Foxescross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics