USB port on My10 forester - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile USB port on My10 forester

Can anyone tell me is it possible to use a USB flash drive in the USB port of a 2010 Forester. The USB port is located on the end of a 12v cigarette lighter jack. Unfortunately they did not have a Media hub in my model!!!!
I have tried but it will not allow me to access it thru the Aux in the Radio.
Is there another cable I could use ???? Why wont it work???
Or do I have to purchase a MP3 player with a earphone jack connection?
any advice is greatly appreciated!
barri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
B&B
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Touring
Transmission: 4EAT

Have you tried repeatably pushing the AUX button to see if it picks up your USB stick?
B&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester Diesel
Transmission: manual

Do you get a message such as "Check Device" and does the stereo display (when you cycle through with the Aux button) actually show "USB" as a title for the source?

On a 2012 Forester if you use the USB with a USB flash drive that it can't read (eg. wrong format) it will display a "Check Device" message. You typically need to reformat the drive (eg. FAT32) and reload the MP3s. Not sure of the 2010 unit though.
kidhazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Barri

Thankyou...but it wont even let me use the Aux button .
The USB flashes as if it has registered, but does not connect with Aux

If I use the earphone jack then it immediatly lets me use the Aux button on the Radio controls & recognises the Mp3 player.

My friend has a 2011 model with a media hub & when he puts the usb stick in the Media Hub port ( that does not need the 12v cigarette port) the radio notes it is a USB...but as I dont have the Media hub it will not recognise it.

I contacted Subaru direct & they said there is no cable that they know of that can connect it.
re formatting to Fat32 doesn't work either!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: S-Edition
Transmission: 5sp A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri View Post

My friend has a 2011 model with a media hub & when he puts the usb stick in the Media Hub port ( that does not need the 12v cigarette port) the radio notes it is a USB...but as I dont have the Media hub it will not recognise it.
Did you not just answer your own question? You don't have the media hub. I have not used the setup you are describing but it seems that the USB plugged into your 12v plug is purely that.. a 3rd party USB port - that is for charging USB powered items.. The ability to play through it is a different issue. Unless the USB port is actually installed into the car and wired to the stereo & media hub how is the stereo supposed to connect to the USB? Instead of just being placed into the 12v jack I think the only way you can play it through the stereo is through a 3.5mm AUX cable - one end into the AUX jack and other into the mp3 player 3.5mm headphone jack. Hope this helps.
AndyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default USB Port on forester 2010

Yes I know but I thought the very smart tech guys may have made a cable of some sort that we can use?????
I mean things are changing all the time......eg the simple cig lighter hole. Once upon a time it was only for lighting Cigarettes...now look what we can do charge everything!!!!!!
Maybe some one will work out how to connect the USB stick so the stick will connect up with the radio or make a connection that will do it??????
I guess its wait & see?????
Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
New User

Car Model: Subaru
Transmission: Automatic
Default I'm wondering the same thing.

Not being very technical, I was trying to avoid data charges by using the Bluetooth to play music from my iPod instead of my iPhone. I wanted to play music from my iPod or a laptop sitting on the passenger seat next to me. I was wondering if there's a cable that has a microphone-type jack on one end to plug into my AUX port (I don't seem to have a USB port) and a wide sticky-inny thing on the other end for my iPhone or iPod. I have a 2010 Subaru Forester SUV.
TheDreadedWoodenSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Welcome aboard!

I have 2 ways to play my iPod (an old one); one is an output jack from iPod into the AUX output (in my Triton) and the other is the "wide sticky-inny thing" you described which plugs into the iPod and the other end plugs into a cig lighter to charge - this device transmits an FM signal that you pick up on your radio..

FM transmitter is first one here (Belkin): http://www.cnet.com.au/best-fm-trans...418.htm#image0

For other cables just google search "AUX cable iPod iPad" and you'll see many that are suitable.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester XS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

For what it's worth, if the music is on the iPhone and not a streaming service (like Pandora) then you don't use any wireless data when playing over Bluetooth. No charges to worry about.
John Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadedWoodenSpoon View Post
Not being very technical, I was trying to avoid data charges by using the Bluetooth to play music from my iPod instead of my iPhone. I wanted to play music from my iPod or a laptop sitting on the passenger seat next to me. I was wondering if there's a cable that has a microphone-type jack on one end to plug into my AUX port (I don't seem to have a USB port) and a wide sticky-inny thing on the other end for my iPhone or iPod. I have a 2010 Subaru Forester SUV.
Just for a bit of information, a "microphone-type jack" is called a 3.5mm stereo plug. Also, a plug is the male end a jack is the female end. The "wide sticky-inny thing" is a proprietary Apple cable just named "30-pin cable." If you have an iPhone 5 it is called a "Lightning cable."

So you're asking about a Apple 30-pin plug to 3.5mm plug. This would not work as the signals used are different. You could us a 3.5mm cable that would plug into the AUX port in your car, then into the headphone jack of your iPhone or laptop. The only thing is that this will not charge the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
For what it's worth, if the music is on the iPhone and not a streaming service (like Pandora) then you don't use any wireless data when playing over Bluetooth. No charges to worry about.
This is correct and should solve your initial problem. If you want, you can get a car charger that connects your phone to the 12v cigarette lighter to keep your phone charged while you use Bluetooth to play your music. But if you're using Pandora, Spotify, etc, you will be using the network and will be charged for data.

Hope that clarifies things and doesn't make it even more complicated!
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics