User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unlocking with Key sets off alarm

On our 2010, I can't figure out how to unlock the doors with the key without setting off the alarm. I need to unlock using the key cause when we go out paddling sometimes I take only the key and leave the fob behind in the car on the theory that the key can stand a dunking while the fob probably can't. Locking the car either by using the fob or using the button on the inside driver door results in the alarm going off when I use the key to unlock the door. I tried to lock the car using only the key, but locking the driver door with the key does not lock the other doors; if I lock them with the button, then the alarm will be activated when I unlock with the key. Apologies, probably the answer to this is staring me in the face, but can anyone tell me how to unlock the car using only the key without the alarm going off?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm not sure if you can but on my '01 I got really good at doing the turn the key 4 or 5 times in the ignition to turn off the alarm. My key fob went with me into the water park and spent a good amount of time in the lazy river under water. Amazingly it kept working for quite a while and then it was intermittent. I never did figure a way to not set the alarm but if I needed to sometimes I'd hide the fob on the car somewhere so I could get it when I got back.

2014 2.0XT, finally entered the world of turbos
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I think you can lock all the doors with the key if you give it a second twist.

2005 Obsidian Black Pearl XT w/4eat

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if you are using the fob it should be 1 push to lock drivers door, 2 pushes to lock all doors, 3 sounds horn and activates alarm. using the button on the door shouldn't activate the alarm. i'll try my 09 in a few min and let you know what happens. i always use the fob so not really sure.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Forum Member

Same problem here...

I was going to post this question myself. You beat me to it. (thanks!)
There is nothing in the Owner's manual that I can find.
Unlocking the car with the key always sets the alarm off.

Surely there is a solution to this, without disabling the alarm.

-Berk
2010 2.5X "Premium" 4EAT (SnowBall)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The key will always set off the alarm if you lock with the fob or the buttons. The key should lock all doors with 2 twists though, and won't set off the alarm.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
like I said above you can turn off the alarm with just the key but I still don't think there's a way for it to not go off at all when only using the key.

2014 2.0XT, finally entered the world of turbos
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2010 2.5X AT Premium
I have a 2010 Forester and the same problem -- yes, the user manual goes on at great length about all sorts of things but there's really nothing I can see that allows me to do what I can do with my 17-year-old Pathfinder: if I arm the alarm on that car with my key, I can unlock the doors with just the key and get about 15 seconds to disarm the alarm by putting the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off. If I arm the alarm with the Pathfinder's fob, the alarm will sound instantly as soon as the door is opened.

I like the Pathfinder model -- arming with a key is silent, so you don't irritate everyone at 2am (or whenever), and if you don't have a fob, you still have pretty much full functionality. The Subaru song and dance to enable silent fob operation is quite irritating by comparison (but also quite funny to watch if you're a bystander, apparently).

(Lack of...) attention to detail, is what I'd call this.

'10 Forester 2.5X AT
'92 Nissan Pathfinder
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
This was bugging me, too, because I fish and don't like setting the alarm in case I go in.

On my 2001 Forester if I lock the door with my key the alarm isn't set. I can't lock all doors with two twists so I just make sure they're all locked first then lock the driver door with the key and I'm good to go without the alarm set.

Thanks for pointing this out!!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5X
Transmission: auto
Put the key and fob in a zip-lock bag

I've struggled with this problem. Without completely turning off the alarm I couldn't find any simple way (that didn't require a special non-habitual locking routine) to unlock with the key without triggering the alarm. Zip-lock sandwich bags work great! Protect your wallet and cell phone the same way whenever venturing near the water. Replace the bags before they wear through. Keep a box of them in the car. My number-one rule is LOCK AND UNLOCK ALWAYS (AND ONLY) WITH THE FOB!

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester L.L. Bean
Transmission: 4EAT Auto
Why not put the car in valet mode when not in a high crime area and then you should be able to lock/unlock with the key and not set the alarm off, because the alarm is disabled in valet.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Catch 2012

I've got a new 2012 Forester. I have a key that operates the ignition and the driver's door lock. I cannot lock the entire car using the lock on the driver's door. I can only lock/unlock the driver's door!!!??? I can only lock all the doors using the fob or the lock door switch inside on the driver's arm rest. Once all the doors are locked using either method the alarm is armed and I cannot open the driver's door using the key without setting off the alarm. So, my question is why is there a keyhole built into the driver's door handle? It seems useless. Was Mr. Fuji's son in charge of this feature? I think Joseph Heller could have written a very good short story about this. You can avoid opening the door with the key if you are crazy but if you realize the problem then you cannot be crazy!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: 2006 & 2010 Forester
Transmission: automatic
The answer I got...

I asked the dealer when I was last there about why you can't unlock our '10 with the key...

"Oh, the only reason why you still have a door lock is in case the battery is dead."

One of my nieces bought a "keyless" Infinity. They got 3 "credit cards" and 2 "fobs". They have 5 drivers in the house that "might" use it(two adults, three teenagers). They got 1 key with it with the instructions..."Only use the key when the battery is discharged"

By the way, this Infinity "remembers" the three credit cards. It has three presets for the drivers seat and steering wheel. So, you walk up, touch the door handle...a click later, open the door, get in...once sat the seat and steering wheel move...press start(can't press start till the seat and steering wheel are done moving). If you are using one of the fobs, you have to move the seat and steering wheel yourself.

'06 For X Prem, '10 For X Prem + WP, both 4EAT

Last edited by schan1269; 07-06-2012 at 10:41 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Transmission: AT
On my 2012, one way mentioned is to lock the driver's door manually(Not using key fob or power lock button) by pushing the inside door lock to the lock position. Then unlocking driver's door with key will not set off the alarm.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Alarm sounds without fob

On my wife's 2009, if I lock the doors with the button on the door console, I can open it with the key and no alarm. At least, within 10-15 secs of locking it. If it takes the security system longer than that to arm, then I guess I'll find that out soon enough.

That nonsense about turning the ignition back and forth is lunacy. I would never even try that. Also, on this 2009, turning the key twice, three times, etc. in the door lock has no effect. If I want to lock all the doors I have to do it from the button on the door. I will also confirm whether or not the key I'm using is a valet - it's a used car and we got 2 keys and 1 FOB.

The double twist works with my '02 Toyota truck - it unlocks only the driver door, or both if you twist it twice when opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode