User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Purgatoried

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 5 speed manual
two headunits?

is there any way to run two headunits? i have a jvc headunit with touchscreen and cd capability, but i just found the pioneer appradio for a killer price and i want that too... is there a way to just splice the two wire looms together into the adapter pug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: AT
two headunits?

Well if you want it to look nice IMO no the appradio unit it's double din so that would be the only one you could install in the dash. Idk if you could make a switch to operate one or the other (anyone wanna comment on that I'm not a headunit guru or anything) you have to choice between only using your iPhone for EVERYTHING using your data plan or or having a cd player (does the JVC have iPod connection?) I'd just go for the touch screen cd player but not JVC I've heard that their quality is at best hit or miss.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Purgatoried

i have the double din gauge pod ;) the jvc is amazing but to do anything like select the band/ playlist i have to do it via the ipod. but i like the fact that i can have apps for the pioneer... i guess its kinda pintless to have both but it would also be kinda cool and to not have the ability for cd's makes it kinda unfortunate
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sport
Transmission: 4EAT
Re: two headunits?

It could probably be done fairly easily.

Splice a second connector in, but put the speakers on a switch to select which head unit has control. Get an antenna y adapter and you're set.

Personally, I'd check the wiring a bit on each unit, you might be able to set up the JVC unit as an input to the Pioneer. Or you might be a able to get a CD changer to add to the Pioneer so you can get rid of the JVC.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2008 FSXT
2002 OBS
E . ` ' / . F
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:32 AM
Forum Member

Re: two headunits?

Oh, one other thing, I probably wouldn't run all of the speaker wiring through the switch, I would probably work in a relay so I wouldn't have to worry about a switch handling the loads.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2008 FSXT
2002 OBS
E . ` ' / . F
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: '03
Car Model: Fozzy
Transmission: Eat A Taco
It's not worth the trouble... relays on speaker lines is a good way to blow speakers too...

I've run 3... but only one was actually a HU... lol...

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
Contributing Member

Car Year: 04's
Car Model: 2 FXT's.
You guys are over thinking this way to much, no need for switches, relays or splicing at all!

First question would be what radio are you going to use the most, pioneer or jvc?

Put the radio you are going to use most in double din housing and have it connected to the speakers.

Now you will need to make sure both units have power by using your plug and play harness.

You will need to buy a headphone to headphone or headphone to RCA jack, cut one headphone jack or both RCA jacks off and connect the cut portion to the front outputs of the deck that is in the lower portion of the dash and run the headphone jack up to the radio in the double din housing and plug it in to the aux in on the back of the radio. If your radio has RCA jacks for the aux in portion, then use the RCA jacks you cut off.

Once your finished you will need to make sure the volume on the lower radio is set at zero, select your aux in on the upper radio. Slowly turn th volume up on the lower radio so that it matches the other sources when you go from aux, radio, iPod, and app...

Your welcome and I work cheap, I like Dr Pepper...

joe r

04 FXT manual Platinum Silver "Sti swapped"= Mine.
04 FXT auto Sierra Gold = Hers.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Purgatoried

ive lost interest in doing this a while ago. thx for all the help though lol. i decided to just run a 7" tablet in the double din pod instead. i made a write up on how i did it if your interested.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
ive lost interest in doing this a while ago. thx for all the help though lol. i decided to just run a 7" tablet in the double din pod instead. i made a write up on how i did it if your interested.
"A while ago", man you make it sound like you didn't start this thread just 3.5 days ago.

2008 FSXT
2002 OBS
E . ` ' / . F
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Purgatoried

yea, but i realized how pontless it would be about 30 minutes after i made it lol, and 3.5 days is a long time ago... especially when your waiting on car parts to arive in the mail!.....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepbug View Post
"A while ago", man you make it sound like you didn't start this thread just 3.5 days ago.
This was my instant thought.

I actually stopped myself mid-read and scrolled back up to the first post to double check the date.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: '03
Car Model: Fozzy
Transmission: Eat A Taco
I think I'll refrain from posting in your "help me install my tablet" post... you might change your mind in the middle somewhere..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Purgatoried

reason i lost inerest so fast was i realized shortly after posting (there is no way to delete a thread) that having 2 head units A) was pretty stupid. and B) a waist of time, money, and energy. so its not that i just loose interest in stuff, i just saw it from a logical perspective.

also i dont have a "help me install my tablet" thread, my tablet install thread is a complete, step-by-step how-to on installing a tablet in your din pod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.