Subwoofer??? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Subwoofer???

I was just wondering if any of you have the subwoofer that is made by Subaru and sold specifically for the forester. I was just about to get one and install it myself, but then thought; what if there are much better powered sub that I can put under my seat for around the same price ($220).
So yea guys what are your recommendations? I'm not looking to spend more then 300 on the sub + amp I will install myself. (also preferably under the seat) Should i just buy the Subaru sub or are there better alternatives for same price? Thanks!
Keyboardhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: Automatic

I recently installed the kenwood powered underseat sub in my 2004. I'm happy with it. And its in your price range.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Xt LTD

Just spent 160 on the sound ordinance b8ptd from crutch field. Heard excellent things on it, finishing up install tomorrow so I can give feedback. Installing under front passenger seat.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboardhooligan View Post
I was just wondering if any of you have the subwoofer that is made by Subaru and sold specifically for the forester. I was just about to get one and install it myself, but then thought; what if there are much better powered sub that I can put under my seat for around the same price ($220). So yea guys what are your recommendations? I'm not looking to spend more then 300 on the sub + amp I will install myself. (also preferably under the seat) Should i just buy the Subaru sub or are there better alternatives for same price? Thanks!
I have a Kenwood sub and I'm pleased with it. Whether it is 'right' for you depends on several factors.

First, do you plan to keep your OEM head unit? If so, then the factory sub would be a fairly simple plug-n-play install. It probably won't sound as good as the Kenwood or Sound Ordnance units, but it will sound a lot better than no sub at all. And, it's . . . plug-n-play - nothing else required.

If you plan to change the head unit, either now or in the foreseeable future, then things are a bit more complicated. First off, you won't be able to use the factory sub (but you can re-sell it on eBay). And, your aftermarket head unit will give you a couple of options as to how to send sound signals to the aftermarket sub - low level or speaker level (go with low level taps on the head unit!).

The Sound Ordnance and Kenwood units are quite different in design and function but both fit under the seat and both should work quite well. Both require some effort installing. Specifically: both require a single line to the + side of the battery, a harness to low-level taps on the rear of the head unit OR a harness to tap into the existing speaker harness, and a control module with harness to adjust volume and crossover frequency. Both companies supply a wiring harness kit to make this task easier. It's a good afternoon task, depending on how handy you are.

There is a market for used sub-woofers - both the OEM variety and aftermarket flavors. Try eBay or Amazon. If you are unsure about which way to proceed, a used unit might give you more experience for less money. If you're not pleased, you can re-sell it.
dave5358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: AT
Gallery: 3

i have the OEM sub under driver seat, but added a Kenwood KSC-SW10 Dual 5x7" Powered Subwoofer Enclosure under passenger. it really fills my bass needs perfectly

got the kenwood from ebay for like $155
Old 10-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
i have the OEM sub under driver seat, but added a Kenwood KSC-SW10 Dual 5x7" Powered Subwoofer Enclosure under passenger. it really fills my bass needs perfectly. Got the kenwood from ebay for like $155
You might find one in the $130 price range. Be sure the wiring harness is included - it's pricey to buy one from the maker. Also, watch Amazon. Both new and used Kenwood and Sound Ordnance models are listed with some regularity.

Kenwood makes (has made) several different models of underseat subs but the main difference is exterior styling (very important for something that will go under a seat and never be seen again). They all work about the same way, so, go for price.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
i have the OEM sub under driver seat, but added a Kenwood KSC-SW10 Dual 5x7" Powered Subwoofer Enclosure under passenger. it really fills my bass needs perfectly

got the kenwood from ebay for like $155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5358 View Post
You might find one in the $130 price range. Be sure the wiring harness is included - it's pricey to buy one from the maker. Also, watch Amazon. Both new and used Kenwood and Sound Ordnance models are listed with some regularity.

Kenwood makes (has made) several different models of underseat subs but the main difference is exterior styling (very important for something that will go under a seat and never be seen again). They all work about the same way, so, go for price.
That is a great idea!! Putting in both a OEM and after market sub. How would I go about doing such a thin? Installing the OEM sub is easy enough, but would you hook up the second sub totally separately like you would if it where alone; or do u somehow connect it to the OEM one? (sorry I'm new at this)
Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
That is a great idea!! Putting in both a OEM and after market sub. How would I go about doing such a thin? Installing the OEM sub is easy enough, but would you hook up the second sub totally separately like you would if it where alone; or do u somehow connect it to the OEM one? (sorry I'm new at this)
Aftermarket subs come with their own wiring harness. Generally, you can wire the sub to low-level ports on your aftermarket head unit but NOT the factory head unit (because it doesn't have low-level outputs).

Or, you can wire the aftermarket sub into the exisiting speaker harness - say, the front speakers. The subwoofer speaker harness permits either option. You would still need to run power to the sub and most likely wire the control box.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Aftermarket subs come with their own wiring harness. Generally, you can wire the sub to low-level ports on your aftermarket head unit but NOT the factory head unit (because it doesn't have low-level outputs).

Or, you can wire the aftermarket sub into the exisiting speaker harness - say, the front speakers. The subwoofer speaker harness permits either option. You would still need to run power to the sub and most likely wire the control box.
lost me on the second part. If you connect it into the front speaker harness then would your front speakers work? Sorry again im a noob.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Xt LTD

Quote:
lost me on the second part. If you connect it into the front speaker harness then would your front speakers work? Sorry again im a noob.
He is talking about splicing into the front speaker wire. In a nut shell, it is an input for the subwoofer. Kinda for timing on when and how much noise to make.

The front speakers will work the same as they have been. You keep them plugged into the original speakers like always. Just splice into them. Or go aftermarket head unit, the you have a separate set of plugs as an input to the subwoofer in most cases..

Look up high level vs low level subwoofer inputs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Sure. You just tap into the speaker harness - vampire connectors or something similar - but you don't disconnect the front speakers.

The aftermarket sub makers will also tell you that you must chose one method of connection or the other - but not both. If you use the factory head unit, then you are limited to tapping into the speaker harness.

If you have an aftermarket head unit, then you (almost always) have the choice. And, it's easier to use the low-level outputs - basically 2 RCA-plug cables. And I think they work better - gives the subwoofer more to work with.

All of this may sound complicated but it's not - easier to do than to write about it ;-)
Old 10-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Sure. You just tap into the speaker harness - vampire connectors or something similar - but you don't disconnect the front speakers.

The aftermarket sub makers will also tell you that you must chose one method of connection or the other - but not both. If you use the factory head unit, then you are limited to tapping into the speaker harness.

If you have an aftermarket head unit, then you (almost always) have the choice. And, it's easier to use the low-level outputs - basically 2 RCA-plug cables. And I think they work better - gives the subwoofer more to work with.

All of this may sound complicated but it's not - easier to do than to write about it ;-)
I think I get it now. I really don't have any reason to replace the head unit. It looks fine and does everything I want it too. Thanks a lot for the help! Il just buy a factory sub and maybe add another if it isn't enough. Again thanks to everyone who responded!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Kid View Post
Just spent 160 on the sound ordinance b8ptd from crutch field. Heard excellent things on it, finishing up install tomorrow so I can give feedback. Installing under front passenger seat.
How is it???
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
How is it???
I've had the Sound Ordnance under seat sub for about a year now and am very happy with it.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
... I really don't have any reason to replace the head unit....
Subaru head units are sworn by by a few.... sworn at by many... and for good reason. For whatever reasons, Subaru head units over the years have been consistently not good.

Aftermarket head units sound a lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics