post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stiffer gas pedal?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it is sort of electrical related I guess. The main thing I have found that I dislike about my 2013 Forester XT vs my old 2005 WRX is the gas pedal doesn't have the same tension. In my WRX once I got to a certain speed the weight of my foot kept the pedal in place and I didn't really have to think about it. In the FXT it takes less effort to push the gas pedal so the weight of my foot resting on it depresses it and it takes a conscious effort to maintain a certain speed.

Anyone else notice this or wish there was some sort of modification that could be made to stiffen up the pedal feel a little? I thought I would have gotten used to it by now but haven't so it's time to try and figure out a solution if at all possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 03
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5 MT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM_WRX View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it is sort of electrical related I guess. The main thing I have found that I dislike about my 2013 Forester XT vs my old 2005 WRX is the gas pedal doesn't have the same tension. In my WRX once I got to a certain speed the weight of my foot kept the pedal in place and I didn't really have to think about it. In the FXT it takes less effort to push the gas pedal so the weight of my foot resting on it depresses it and it takes a conscious effort to maintain a certain speed.

Anyone else notice this or wish there was some sort of modification that could be made to stiffen up the pedal feel a little? I thought I would have gotten used to it by now but haven't so it's time to try and figure out a solution if at all possible.
Is there some sort of spring that returns the gas pedal to its resting positions (and thus also resists it being moved from rest)? You might be able to swap for a stiffer spring that is the same size.

However, they truly never will feel the same. The WRX you have is Drive by cable, and while the Foz is drive by wire.

Messing with the gas pedal too much is very likely potentially hazardous. Proceed at your own risk?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's probably just the drive-by-wire system that feels weird to you. There's not much you can really do about it, honestly.

03 Forester X 5MT 252k
08 Tribeca Limited 95k
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Oh, I am certain it is the DBW that is the culprit. I can live with the more sluggish throttle response but this soft pedal feel is a little annoying.

I saw some people on a Honda Fit forum using S hooks and springs to help with this type of thing but that's a little too ghetto for me. I might have done such a thing in my Honda days though.

I had a similar problem in my old Mustang but thankfully there was just enough room between the pedal and the transmission tunnel to wedge my foot in there nicely.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: XT
I have the same complaint, but there should be pedal return springs on the pedal assembly that could be changed or added to. I plan to add/change mine out to make it stiffer than stock.

2010 Satin White Pearl FXT Limited
Mod Journal
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Let us know if you figure anything out. I won't have a chance to really take a close look at it for a week or so.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Blouch 20G-XTR
Plus 1.

Anyone figure out a good solution or spring type? I tried changing my seating position, but it does not help and a muscle in my leg gets sore from holding my foot up since the pedal is so light.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: XT
Last time I looked closely at the gas pedal it is a closed assembly, not easy to tweak.

Best option I can think of right now would be to set up a spring that simply wraps around the arm of the pedal and attaches somewhere.

2010 Satin White Pearl FXT Limited
Mod Journal
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X+
Transmission: 5MT
Consider it done

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
Plus 1.

Anyone figure out a good solution or spring type? I tried changing my seating position, but it does not help and a muscle in my leg gets sore from holding my foot up since the pedal is so light.
There is a solution to this problem. I found a very helpful writeup in a WRX forum: DIY: Add some "spring" to your stock gas pedal return

That OP's pedal is identical to the one used in the '12 Forester. The problem I ran into is that Amazon doesn't have the springs he used anymore. I did find his 38 lb/in music wire spring at McMaster-Carr, but it was too stiff for my taste. I found a 26 lb/in spring at Century Spring, PN 72410. CSA-50 - Part Characteristics | Century Spring Corp.

The bummer is I had to order $40 worth of springs to make the minimum order. So far it feels pretty good. This mod along with a pedal input remap has really tamed the monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.