('14+) Stereo trim panel removal - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Simpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 51
Location: Uppsala, sweden
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Stereo trim panel removal

Donīt know if I should start a new thread for this, but I try here first.

Does anyone know how you remove the trim panel around the stereo in the XT?

Normally you just use a panel safe tool and pry it loose, but I have tried with no success so far. A bit worried that I will crack something if I pry to hard.
__________________
You say Simpan - you think dirty!!!
Simpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 245
Location: Lansing, IA
Car Year: 2011
Car Model: X Premium w/AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpan View Post
Donīt know if I should start a new thread for this, but I try here first.

Does anyone know how you remove the trim panel around the stereo in the XT?

Normally you just use a panel safe tool and pry it loose, but I have tried with no success so far. A bit worried that I will crack something if I pry to hard.
Pretty sure the dash on the SJ Forester is the same/similar enough to the 2012+ standard Imprezas. Found this on NASIOC: 2012 Impreza stereo replacement - NASIOC

Hopefully that helps.
the_webers_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
Thread Starter
 
Simpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 51
Location: Uppsala, sweden
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_webers_inc View Post
Pretty sure the dash on the SJ Forester is the same/similar enough to the 2012+ standard Imprezas. Found this on NASIOC: 2012 Impreza stereo replacement - NASIOC

Hopefully that helps.
Thanks a lot! It looks as it is the same, so Iīll have a go at it later tonight. Iīll let you know if it ended in tears or cheers!!!
__________________
You say Simpan - you think dirty!!!
Simpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
Thread Starter
 
Simpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 51
Location: Uppsala, sweden
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

It all ended well, floorwell lighting installed!
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo trim panel removal-image.jpg  
__________________
You say Simpan - you think dirty!!!
Simpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
dave5358's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,404
Location: North Bend
Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpan View Post
Does anyone know how you remove the trim panel around the stereo in the XT? Normally you just use a panel safe tool and pry it loose, but I have tried with no success so far. A bit worried that I will crack something if I pry to hard.
I looked at the NASIOC thread mentioned by another responder. Removing the trim in 2014 looks a lot like removing the trim in 2005 or 2006. So, if you go to this thread How To: Install JVC KR-XW610 head unit in a 2005 Subaru Forester - Parts 1&2 there are a series of pictures and instructions on how to do this circa 2005.

Two more thoughts: older (and maybe newer) Foresters had two basic types of HVAC controls - mechanical and electronic (the latter being sometimes referred to as 'climate control'). The link above refers to a vehicle with mechanical control linkage. If you have climate control, it's much easier - just unplug the single electrical connector behind the HVAC panel and forget about the mechanical push wires.

Second: In 2005-2006, basically, the trim 'snapped' out. But, there are two screws at the very bottom that you must remove for this to happen. You have to remove the trim around the shifter first (easy) to get access to the screws. Once the screws are removed, it's snaps-ville from that point on. And, it is probably best to unsnap this trim panel from the bottom up.
dave5358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
Thread Starter
 
Simpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 51
Location: Uppsala, sweden
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Thanks Dave! There are no screws on the -14. I found this http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/697...tteLighter.pdf and on page 4 they show a more brutal approach from the right side. I will try that when I get my iPhone holder from ProClip/Brodit on monday. Today I only needed to remove the parts around the cigarette lighter to get some juice for the lighting, but for the iPhone I need to route the cables in some manner behind the stereo trim.
__________________
You say Simpan - you think dirty!!!

Last edited by Simpan; 03-15-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Simpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 245
Location: Lansing, IA
Car Year: 2011
Car Model: X Premium w/AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default

Glad it worked out!
the_webers_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
Thread Starter
 
Simpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 51
Location: Uppsala, sweden
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpan View Post
Thanks Dave! There are no screws on the -14. I found this http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/697...tteLighter.pdf and on page 4 they show a more brutal approach from the right side. I will try that when I get my iPhone holder from ProClip/Brodit on monday. Today I only needed to remove the parts around the cigarette lighter to get some juice for the lighting, but for the iPhone I need to route the cables in some manner behind the stereo trim.
Now it's confirmed, this is the way to go!

1. Enter from the right hand side with two trim removal tools, go really deep before you start the prying motion. Since the new dashboard is like rubber and therefore more flexible you will even be able to look into the gap and see when you are deep enough to get some grip.

2. Pry gently and the right side will pop loose. Continue by angling the trim panel to the left and up and the whole thing will come loose.

3. Unclip the harness for the hazard switch and the AC and you are done!

The whole procedure was so easy and fast I didn't even get any pics of it!

I now have installed a permanent charger/mount for the iPhone. As soon as I get my hands on a mount for the GPS it will be installed the same way!
__________________
You say Simpan - you think dirty!!!
Simpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
sokalled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 232
Location: PA
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpan View Post
Now it's confirmed, this is the way to go!

1. Enter from the right hand side with two trim removal tools, go really deep before you start the prying motion. Since the new dashboard is like rubber and therefore more flexible you will even be able to look into the gap and see when you are deep enough to get some grip.

2. Pry gently and the right side will pop loose. Continue by angling the trim panel to the left and up and the whole thing will come loose.

3. Unclip the harness for the hazard switch and the AC and you are done!

The whole procedure was so easy and fast I didn't even get any pics of it!

I now have installed a permanent charger/mount for the iPhone. As soon as I get my hands on a mount for the GPS it will be installed the same way!
I am very interested in seeing an end result pic.
sokalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 168
Location: Northeastern PA
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

What am I missing? I got the trim panel loose but something seems to be holding it in the A/C area. Do I need to release those cables they talk about for the manual A/C models?

OK, I'm guessing "yes" by the looks of it.
__________________
2014 Forester Premium
2013 XV Crosstrek Premium
Mike02z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
dave5358's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,404
Location: North Bend
Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
What am I missing? I got the trim panel loose but something seems to be holding it in the A/C area. Do I need to release those cables they talk about for the manual A/C models?
OK, I'm guessing "yes" by the looks of it.
Do you have automatic climate control? Or, do you have mechanical linkage for heat and vent position (the left and right knobs)

If the latter, then stand on your head and start removing the linkage. Follow the thread up above which has a series of pictures on linkage removal. With the cables connected, you can pull the trim panel out an inch or so, but not enough to be really useful. On the bright side, once you get into the zen of how to release the cable linkage, it's pretty easy to do.
dave5358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 168
Location: Northeastern PA
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Got it out, thanks. It is the manual version and I had my son stand on his head to pop the cables :)

May all be for naught. My intention was to replace the factory "B" radio with the NAV from a 2013 BRZ that I picked up cheap. It came with the amp, gps antenna/cable and the maps but not the harness. My car is a 14 Premium so NAV was an option but I'm obviously missing something. Anyone have any ideas?
__________________
2014 Forester Premium
2013 XV Crosstrek Premium
Mike02z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
lcrazyaznl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,143
Location: Queens, NY / LI
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

It took awhile for me to do but my friend got me a trim remover and made my job a lot easier.

I was using a screwdriver to the top trim lol.
lcrazyaznl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
dave5358's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,404
Location: North Bend
Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl View Post
It took awhile for me to do but my friend got me a trim remover and made my job a lot easier. I was using a screwdriver to the top trim lol.
Trim tools make the job a LOT EASIER. Ciminy, there are so many tasks around a Forester (or any modern vehicle, for that matter) that require pulling off some snapped-on plastic trim panel - dash, console, doors, rear hatch - the list is endless. Bite the bullet and buy some relatively inexpensive trim tools. You won't regret it and you will greatly reduce the risk of breaking/denting/gouging some expensive trim panel.

Here are a few el-cheapo tools you can find on eBay or Amazon - worth their weight in gold. BTW, the plastic tools work fine. The metal gizmo seemed like a good idea when I bought it, but I have rarely used it.

dave5358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.