Car Year: 14
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Stick Shift
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My new tweeters :-)

original tweeter

new tweeter without capacitor

new tweeter with new Mundorf Capacitor 3.3µF

But I will add a 2.2 Ohm resistor because the new tweeters have much more power than the originals...

post #198 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Subaru Forester Prem
Transmission: CVT
New Speakers

Just finished installing JL Audio TR 650-CSi in the front and TR 650-CXi in the rear, what a difference the new speakers make. Used the adapters by Phenryiv1 and the Metra 72--8104 wiring harness. Still using the stock head unit, music now sounds like music. The only difficult part was trying to disconnect the electrical clips on the front doors, ended up raising the door skin and tying it to the top of door, this allows enough room to replace the front speakers. Thanks to all who have posted and gave me the courage to do this.

post #199 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
Sorry for a ridiculous question and I hope I explain this properly. So I bought polk DXi6500 for the front, Dxi650 for the rears, and the alpine KTP-445U amp. What is the proper way for me to hook this all up with the speaker wires, amp and crossover? I'm using the stock HU for now, so do I wire the front dash speakers through the crossover to the tweeters and the amp only for the four door speakers? I believe the crossover is usually built for a single input and then you route the wires for the tweeter and the speaker. But with the dash speakers, do you just route the front speaker wires to the crossover and then route that to the tweeters and leave the other terminals alone? Also, if someone is familiar with the crossover tweeter attenuation or with the alpine amp that has "High Pass Filter Frequency Selector Switches" and what the ideal setup would be for my configuration I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!
post #200 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: Auto
Adapter Template

Does anyone have any paper/image template for the speaker/tweeter adapters to share.
post #201 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: WRX
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrozdek View Post
Does anyone have any paper/image template for the speaker/tweeter adapters to share.
I make the adapters based on my own templates. I had to reverse engineer them. You could do the same or just drop me a line if you want a set. To buy the material alone you'll pay about the same as what I charge (and have leftover material) unless you get it wholesale.
post #202 of 216 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT Premium
I'm looking at Polk db651

Would coaxials for the doors AND polk tweeters for the dash be too bright?
Is it better to just get a component set and spread them between door and dash?
post #203 of 216 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
I'm looking at Polk db651

Would coaxials for the doors AND polk tweeters for the dash be too bright?
Is it better to just get a component set and spread them between door and dash?
I'd go with components up front and coaxials in the rear. Doubling up on the highs won't do you any favors. When I tried that in my Legacy I ultimately disconnected the tweeters and stuck with coaxials in the doors. I should have done components right from the start.
post #204 of 216 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 PM
New User
Contributing Member

Car Model: XTP
Transmission: Fancy Rubber Band
An easy way to decide tweeter placement is to just use some double sided tape and place them both at the door location and the dash, listen to them for a while and decide which one you like best. If you decide to go with both in the door, and your soundstage is too low for your tastes, a tweeter in the dash that's attenuated (-6db is good starting point) with a high crossover point (12k is a good starting point there) will help raise it. Full power tweets in doors and dash would be downright annoying...

Personally I've yet to remove the factory system, although I'm considering my options, guess it's just a matter of priorities. I used to compete in IASCA w/ Kicker as a sponsor, as a finalist in 2000 - three kids later, the stock Subie system is working ok - for now; then again I barely ever turn it over 10, silence is golden anymore.
post #205 of 216 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Forum Member

Got the db651 and 6501's installed along with the Alpine KTP-455u amp. The amp and crossover's fit neatly in a little space below the climate controls and behind the little storage bin. It sounds fabulous! 10x's better than stock.

phenryiv1's adapters http://www.subaruaudio.net/subaru-sp...acers/pricing/ and SVXdc's harness http://ae64.com/combinedharness-install.htm took a bit of the headache out, though it still took several hours. In particular, feeding the wire through the door tubing was quite tricky.

There did seem to be a little whine and hum when the amp level's were increased. I'm pretty sure it is leaking from the OEM HU, but I only notice it when I'm sitting inside the garage with the doors closed and everything else off.

Last edited by scottl; 07-09-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #206 of 216 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Got the db651 and 6501's installed along with the Alpine KTP-455u amp. The amp and crossover's fit neatly in a little space below the climate controls and behind the little storage bin. It sounds fabulous! 10x's better than stock.

phenryiv1's adapters Pricing & Shipping | Subaru Audio and SVXdc's harness Combined forward/reverse breakout harness installation took a bit of the headache out, though it still took several hours. In particular, feeding the wire through the door tubing was quite tricky.

There did seem to be a little whine and hum when the amp level's were increased. I'm pretty sure it is leaking from the OEM HU, but I only notice it when I'm sitting inside the garage with the doors closed and everything else off.
I am curious, why did you have to feed wire through the door tubing? Did you run new speaker wires?

I am thinking about adding either the Alpine or Clarion powerpack and probably a low profile sub under the passenger seat (Kicker Hideaway). I already upgraded the (4) speakers to Polks. I am keeping the stock HU, I am hoping these additions meet my needs.
post #207 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Forum Member

yes, I wanted to leave the original speaker sockets intact just in case.
post #208 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
Garage
Hello! I'm new to this forum and Subaru. Just got a 2015 Forester 2.5 Touring with Eyesight and Nav/HK system. Id like to replace the front components. Has anyone tried the Focal K2 165KR components? Will they fit with your cool custom spacers? I'm also toying with adding a small 75x4 amp under front seat to wake up the system. Will I need anything special due to the Nav-H/K system?

I used to install/compete and judge for many years - before all new the new onboard computers.

Thanks in advance
John

Sounds Great!
post #209 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterNewBee View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum and Subaru. Just got a 2015 Forester 2.5 Touring with Eyesight and Nav/HK system. Id like to replace the front components. Has anyone tried the Focal K2 165KR components? Will they fit with your cool custom spacers? I'm also toying with adding a small 75x4 amp under front seat to wake up the system. Will I need anything special due to the Nav-H/K system?

I used to install/compete and judge for many years - before all new the new onboard computers.

Thanks in advance
John
Congratulations on the new Forester. There is really nothing extra needed to change speakers in the H/K system, at least nothing more than what is needed for the regular audio system.

My adapters will work with those speakers. 2014+ Forester | Subaru Audio

See that page for more info.

Thank you!
post #210 of 216 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
Garage
Thanks! I just got the Focal K2 165KR components and will try to photograph my install. While Im doing this is there some info you guys need? I thought I read someone forgetting to measure before reinstalling the door panel.

Sounds Great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode