Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Smart remote for push button start

('14-'18) 
9K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  DaveB00T 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 XT Tour. I have been wanting to add remote start. Talked to an aftermarket place an they say nothing available as yet for 2014-15 with push button start. They said maybe in next few month.

I can't open or lock doors from house to driveway an if remote start is same there is no point going with OEM. With colder weather here an I have a 20% coupon from my dealer I was hoping to get it now. I have seen a vendor offer for 25% as well this week. Also not sure why they have it shut off the engine after you open the door when the GM I traded with push button start didn't do that.

For those that have the OEM smart remote start is the distance really that limited? Some searching seems indicate that. If so maybe I'll get some other accessories on the coupon an wait see what might develop on remote starters.i would like see a design change in the OEM unit. Increase distance, safely solve the shutoff as you open door an integrate some adjustable user settings such as light an horn notifications. I did write to SOA on this an got a points noted response.

#2 ·
Don't have remote start on mine, but I'm guessing the engine shuts off when you open the door to make sure someone doesn't just hop in and drive off ... will need the fob to restart the car. I also suspect that it's not a big deal after you get used to it.

A lot of the features are different from my GM cars (e.g., GM has the lights come on whenever the wipers are on), but I'm slowly getting used to them.

I'd like to have remote start. Any idea what it costs at the dealer?

#3 ·
There are 2 OEM remote starts depending if you have keyless access with push button start. I have the push button start which uses the shorter distance remote starter. My dealer quoted about $500 installed.

I was planning on buying an installing remote start myself an have dealer activate it.

Understand on safety an remote start but with my GM you had to lock it prior to remote starting it. The car is then running but not drivable in that state. You need unlock enter car with key fob. Press start button on dash then press brake pedal to be able to drive off. It would be nice if Subaru could adopt that feature.

On other features. I really like the eyesight. I Had on the GM an hope the Forester one day gets as option package. rear park assist, cross traffic alert an blind spot detection. Moving rear camera display to the NAV screen would be nice as well.

#4 ·
OK, I agree with your reasoning on the engine shutting down. Like I said ... it seems that Subaru does a lot of things "different" than most cars.

I too have push button start so I'd have to go with the shorter distance remote start. I read a thread on here a few months ago about someone who said they could start their car from about 700 feet away, but not sure which remote starter they have. I know that my distance is pretty short for doing things like opening the hatch. It's just something we'll have to live with.

Is installing it yourself much of a problem? I have no idea where the parts(s) go. And I would think you'd need a new key fob.

I like EyeSight too. And I'm one of the few who seems to like the Nav. Just wish they'd given maps that were up to date.

#5 ·
There are installation instructions for installing. It's all plug and play. You do need to remove some dash trim an glovebox. The unit itself mount over by glovebox. The harness appears run across to drivers side and plug in. There is also an under hood switch that gets mounted an plugged in. Not sure what dealer would charge to install an activate over just activate. I have read some paid up to $75 to activate.

The other OEM remote start that works with ones with key start use separate fob that I read is 2 way. And there is an antenna. It's range is listed at about 400 feet.

The push button start starter uses you current fob. Once remote starter is installed an activated you use a sequence on you existing fob to remote start. The push button starter since it uses the existing fob is limited to its range. I'm guessing this starter is designed as it is because you need carry the fob for keyless access an start. So they piggyback on that fob an its transmitting distance to operate.

If this smart starter had a much geater operating distance I could live withe door opening engine shutoff.

The aftermarket viper group I talked to felt in time they would have an offering for the 14-15 push button start models. I didn't ask if they had offer for the non push button start models.

#6 ·
Did some testing with unlocking and locking the doors with both remotes. I can't lock or unlock the doors from the distances I would want the OEM remote start to work. The main test was from the house to the driveway which is about 80 feet or less. It is clear line of site.

Given such I see no point in adding the OEM Smart remote start. I have to wait and see if an after market offering surfaces or a possible re-engineer of the OEM unit.

#8 ·
I have the smart start remote start with the push button start and the 2015 Forsester XT. I am honestly so dissapointed, it has awful range, even outside in the open, if I am walking up to my car it usually requires me to be within 50ft give or take 20ft. By the time I got through the process of starting the car, I am at the door, and it's shutting off thus becoming a wast of my time to even start. I'd be ok with the opening of the car door causing it to turn off, if I could start it from further away... what a joke for range!

#9 · (Edited)
I have decided on holding off on adding the OEM smart remote start given what I have read an the last post on actual distance an disappointment. I sent an email to SOA on this matter an got an email back. See below. I had asked for consideration of an engineering change of this accessory to increase operating distance that would still work on the existing 2014 and 2015 models. I would suggest other who are considering this option to do the same. Other things that would be nice on this option. If they could find a way to safely allow the engine to remain running as you enter the key and press the start button and it verifies the FOB is present. My GM car did this. Also, to have adjustable settings to disable or enable a horn confirmation on the remote start. From what I read the horn sounds after the car starts and some say that would cause issue where they live.

>We appreciate your feedback on the remote engine starter operating distance and your recommendation for a new accessory with a longer >operating distance. I will pass on your feedback to our Accessories Department for their review and consideration. Past input from our >customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our products. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your >comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our current remote engine starter as seen by our owners.

#10 ·
From their email it sounds like they will at least put it up for consideration, but you gotta wonder how many "complaints" they have to get before they actually look at an issue. You would think that their designers would realize that 50 ft would be useless for a remote start. The distance restriction also negatively impacts such things as raising the cargo door.

This discussion reminds me of the commercial we've all probably seen on television. There's a family on a plane coming into an airport, ready to dock at the jetway, and the guy uses his remote start to warm their car up. It's snowing and gives the impression of being very cold. The point is that if he can activate it from an airplane, the distance must be a heckuva long longer than 50 feet ... probably more like 1000.

#11 ·
I'm hoping SOA realizes the Smart Start Remote distance is proving unacceptable but the FOB technology used as stated also plays into remote unlock/lock of doors and rear gate. As stated your almost to the car before any remote functions work. If addressed I'm thinking it will be going forward in models years unless they re-engineer the Smart remote starter to use a separate FOB like the non push button remote start accessory.

One thing I really liked in the GM I traded was the OnStar connection package. It allowed me via an App on my Smart Phone to remote start as long as the car was in range of OnStar and it confirmed on the phone that it was running. You could also lock/unlock doors, honk horn to locate car, see the air pressure amount in each tire and the fuel level with range to empty. I would also get a monthly diagnostic email with maintenance reminders. For the trail period I had the full OnStar and had a chance to use the NAV functions. It was nice from your PC to plot a trip and then send it to the NAV unit in the car. I still wouldn't go back after getting the XT Tour.

#12 ·
I don't have the keyless, so I have the separate fob, but can attest the range of that one is awesome. I ride a van pool at work, and we park in a movie theatre parking lot that is behind a restaurant and their parking lot. I can start my car from the interstate just coming up to the exit, and since it is a 2 way, I know it is started (since I cannot even see my car).

Not sure why they couldn't get the 2way fob to work with keyless entry. While I was originally annoyed with the shutting off when the door is opened, I got used to it, and don't even notice anymore. I purchased the remote start when I bought my car, and the dealer charged $350 installed, which I thought was reasonable.

As for the commercial with the guy starting it from the plane, I assume that is a smart phone capable starter, as those can work from pretty much anywhere you want.

#13 ·
I don't have the keyless, so I have the separate fob, but can attest the range of that one is awesome. I ride a van pool at work, and we park in a movie theatre parking lot that is behind a restaurant and their parking lot. I can start my car from the interstate just coming up to the exit, and since it is a 2 way, I know it is started (since I cannot even see my car).

Not sure why they couldn't get the 2way fob to work with keyless entry. While I was originally annoyed with the shutting off when the door is opened, I got used to it, and don't even notice anymore. I purchased the remote start when I bought my car, and the dealer charged $350 installed, which I thought was reasonable.

As for the commercial with the guy starting it from the plane, I assume that is a smart phone capable starter, as those can work from pretty much anywhere you want.
I haven't seen the commercial in about a year, but I think you're right ... it seems to ring a bell. Anything like that available for the Forester?

#14 ·
I just took possession of a new 2015 2.5i Forester Tourer that we ordered from the factory. We discussed the differences between Remote Start(much further distance, 400 ft rings a bell) and Smart Start(short line of sight range as described in this thread) at the time of order and I specifically ordered remote start.

The car arrived on Dec 23rd and has the push button start feature. Upon trying the remote, I found it has the extremely short starting distance and is not two way. Upon looking at the window sticker that came with the vehicle, it's listed as having Smart Start.
I need to get back with the dealer/internet salesman to see why I obviously didn't get Remote Start with the much longer range. As someone previously stated, maybe that's the only option that comes with pushbutton start but that was never explained to me.

I've owned several Viper remote starts on previous vehicles. They have up to a 700 ft range and keep the vehicle running after the door is opened. If the key isn't inserted, as soon as one steps on the brake pedal to take the shifter out of park, the car would die.
Maybe this could be incorporated into the Forester with a separate workaround for manual transmissions.

I'll post on what the dealer says about my issue with apparently getting the wrong item.

#15 ·
You don't have a choice with the push button start in the Tour trim. The only remote start listed for push button start is the limited distance smart remote start. Aftermarket would be a better option if vendors have a solution out at this time for push button start. Last I checked in November Viper didn't have a solution. They hoped have something soon. Compstar might have something now.

#16 ·
Remote start

On the national news this past week 1/24/15 there was an article about 11 cars with remote start that were stolen in a mid west city.Don't most remotes require a key before the shifter can be moved
My new '15 touring can be driven once it has been started without the fob being present. So the shut down would prevent a drive off when the door is opened and thus the fob would be needed to start again

#17 ·
On the national news this past week 1/24/15 there was an article about 11 cars with remote start that were stolen in a mid west city.Don't most remotes require a key before the shifter can be moved
My new '15 touring can be driven once it has been started without the fob being present. So the shut down would prevent a drive off when the door is opened and thus the fob would be needed to start again
Care to post this article or story? I'd blame stolen vehicles that were "remote started" as some idiot trying to cover up they started it with the keys and left it unattended...

As someone who used to install remote starters, that scenario is only possible with an improperly installed aftermarket starter. Even then you would have to break the steering wheel lock to be able to drive.

As for a Subaru starter, it is impossible to drive off with one without the fob especially. The filling items shut off the vehicle...
1) Door opened, 2) Brake pedal pressed, 3) Shifter removed from park
2 of those are pretty vital to driving....

It's even harder with a standard starter, as key in sensing also shuts down the vehicle...

Wouldn't you think if it was easy to steal a remote started vehicle, insurance companies would charge a premium for having one???

#18 ·
My first official post (was waiting until I ACTUALLY got my Forester) and I have hit a snag in the ordering process.....I have combed this forum as well as a few others, but have not been successful in finding the answer. There was a comment made on subarupartsmall.com where someone said their remote start for their 2014 with push button start only allows 1 fob to be the transmitter....can anyone confirm this? I have a 2016 2.0XT Touring that I am supposed to take delivery on at the end of the week (ish) and was going to have it installed, but my both my wife and I will both be driving it, and didn't want the remote start to only work for one of us

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

#20 ·
I'm pretty sure you can use either fob with the Subaru system to remote start but can't confirm being I have a Viper remote start. I did open my Forester owners manual and it didn't mention any limitation of just being able to use one fob. Also by the way it works I can't imagine how they could exclude one fob. The remote stater has no receiver itself it just wires up to the door lock receiver. When the correct sequence of door lock pulses are received with the correct timing the remote starter fires up.
I would definitely tell the dealer not to install that piece of crap and get an aftermarket one. Subaru has 2 different remote starts available. One is for the key start model. It has it's own remote and doesn't work off the fob. That one has decent range but does share some of the other Subaru disadvantages like the engine shutting off when the door is opened. Just don't get the Subaru RS if you have a Touring model with push button start. The Subaru version for the push button start is almost useless. It has very limited range due to the fact that it works off the door lock fob and requires 3 properly timed button pushes. Some other issues are the engine shuts down when the door is opened and there is no 2 way feedback that your car has actually started liked you hoped it would after you thought you were close enough and timed your 3 button pushes accurately.
I ordered my 2016 Forester Touring without the RS. I had a very basic Viper 4205v installed as did others on this forum. It is a small simple system with 2000' range. I had the same one installed in my Outback. It's a popular option over on the Outback forum. The Viper also has the smart start option which allows you to RS from your smart phone. I didn't get that option but it is easy to add at any time.
I would suggest you go to the search box (upper right on the screen) and type in "remote start". By reading through the results you can get a good grasp of the advantages and disadvantages of Subaru and after market remote starts. You will find most with the Subaru factory remote start for push button start are dissatisfied. You may find a very small minority who are in denial after spending all that money for it.

#21 ·
hey thanks! I was kinda thinking that most people wouldn't be happy with the range...luckily my office is only about 30 feet from my parking spot, so wouldn't be too big of an issue....but I didn't understand how only 1 key would work as a transmitter, was just going by the feedback someone left online....but maybe he was doing a self install, and couldn't figure both keys out....who knows.

Thanks again!!

#26 ·
Is the key fob for the smart remote start, the same one that came with the car new?

I just bought a 2016 XT Touring, currently, the car does not have smart remote start. When/If I get the smart remote start installed into the car, will the fob be replaced with a different one or will be the original fob remain in use but with new functionality by pushing the "lock" button in sequence?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.