Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Security Light Indicator

12K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Chucker 
#1 ·
Hello, - New member here to ask a question about the above subject indicator light.

I've owned this 2014 Forester since May of 2013. Just today I noticed the security light blinking 1 second on, 3 seconds off. ONLY when the car is parked and turned off. Prior to today, this light has NEVER come on.

Reading the users manual hasn't resulted in a good understanding of how the security system works.

Can someone explain why this light wasn't on until today, 10 months after the car was purchased. Is this normal and what does it mean that it flashes like this.

Thanks !

RDL

#3 ·
Owners manual pages 3-28 and 2-20 through 2-26 explain the alarm system in detail.

Briefly press the arm button (the lock button on your key fob and/or door sensor on keyless access models) (for less than 2 seconds). All doors (and the rear gate) will lock, an electronic chirp will sound once, the hazard warning flashers will flash once, and the security indicator light will start flashing rapidly. After rapid flashing for 30 seconds (standby time), the indicator lights will then flash slowly (twice approximately every 2 seconds), indicating that the system has been armed for surveillance.

If any of the doors or the rear gate is not fully closed, an electronic chirp sounds five times, the hazard warning flashers flash five times to alert you that the doors (or the rear gate) are not properly closed. When you close the door, the system will automatically arm and doors will automatically lock.

The above info is from page 2-22 of the owners manual.

#6 ·
Based on the above quotes from the owners manual, your system is working properly if it is flashing.

Was the key out of the ignition? If so, the vehicle would not know the driver was in the vehicle and the security system would be armed.

On mine, since I have keyless entry, anytime the key fob is inside the vehicle, the system is disarmed. I never see the light flashing because of this.

#7 ·
Sorry, but no help. Taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. The user manual is too confusing to make any sense out of how the security system operates. I've had similar problem when attempting to set the lift-gate height so it doesn't smack my garage door. Oh, yea, the blue-tooth instructions are also a night-mare. We are glad to have the vehicle, but Subaru could do better by changing out their tech writer.

RDL

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.