Just in case someone needs in the future a reference on how to replace the dashboard bulbs, here below i post step by step pictures. This will be useful for 03-05 Forester owners
1. First thing you need to do is to place the steering wheel at the lowest position using the lever, so we can make room for the dashboard to come out.
2. Now remove the two phillips screws holding the dashboard cover. To see them you must look from the bottom, upwards.
3. Pull out the cover from its bottom part. There are clinches holding it on both sides to the console but they come out easy. If you find the picture difficult to understand, look at the ignition switch so you can reference where are the clinches located:
4. The cover is now free to go out. It will not be possible to take it out from there if the steering wheel is not all the way down.
5. The dasboard is held by three screws. Just remove them and the dashboard will come out.
6. At this point you are able to change the bulbs without disconnecting the dashboard harnesses, but if you want to be more comfortable, then disconnect it.
7. Now you can see all the sockets. (It is very awkward to replace the temp and gas level bulbs if the dashboard is not disconnected)
8. This are the sockets and bulb tipes you will find in there. The biggest ones are for the tach and speed. The little ones are used in the temp and gas level. The odometer and the indicator lights will also use the little ones. You can replace them by twisting the socket counterclockwise and pulling out. There is no need to replace the whole socket. Just pull the bulb from the socket and put a new one. Put the socket back and twist clockwise.
This is how it looks with new bulbs.
I hope this helps!