Replacing Instrument/Dash Lights? Help - Page 6 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #76 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: auto
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Not being a good back yard mechanic after the reading all the post i am somewhat confused confused on some things. My check engine light is out. It was on and i thought i had the problem solved only to find out the bulb is out. Also i think after reading these post it looks like my center console lights where the heater controls are are out also. I know the AC button light is out. I just bought my 2001 Forester used so still getting used to it.

1. Can i replace all the center console lights and AC button light by just taking out the bezel and console where the Speedometer,gas gage, check engine lights are to replace all the bulbs that are out?

2. I like some others would like to change the color from green to blue or red which looks like i need to go with LED lights? Also will the LED lights fit without any modifications?
PoorFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #77 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester L
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I've replaced a lot of burnt out bulbs recently and the only ones I haven't yet accessed are the rear defroster and A/C switches, which look to be the most difficult.

Dash lights, fog and cruise switches are a piece of cake.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Forester X, MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFella View Post
Not being a good back yard mechanic after the reading all the post i am somewhat confused confused on some things. My check engine light is out. It was on and i thought i had the problem solved only to find out the bulb is out. Also i think after reading these post it looks like my center console lights where the heater controls are are out also. I know the AC button light is out. I just bought my 2001 Forester used so still getting used to it.

1. Can i replace all the center console lights and AC button light by just taking out the bezel and console where the Speedometer,gas gage, check engine lights are to replace all the bulbs that are out?

2. I like some others would like to change the color from green to blue or red which looks like i need to go with LED lights? Also will the LED lights fit without any modifications?
been awhile since i had my 2000s, but IIRC the A/C button light is an LED and built into the button (non-replaceable).

there are some bulbs in the speedo console and some in the center console.

you can get bulb covers (aka "condoms") that effect the color some, but it won't be as drastic as LEDs.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #79 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester 2.0 XT
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 4
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Removing dashboard for bulb replacement

Just in case someone needs in the future a reference on how to replace the dashboard bulbs, here below i post step by step pictures. This will be useful for 03-05 Forester owners

1. First thing you need to do is to place the steering wheel at the lowest position using the lever, so we can make room for the dashboard to come out.

2. Now remove the two phillips screws holding the dashboard cover. To see them you must look from the bottom, upwards.

3. Pull out the cover from its bottom part. There are clinches holding it on both sides to the console but they come out easy. If you find the picture difficult to understand, look at the ignition switch so you can reference where are the clinches located:

4. The cover is now free to go out. It will not be possible to take it out from there if the steering wheel is not all the way down.

5. The dasboard is held by three screws. Just remove them and the dashboard will come out.

6. At this point you are able to change the bulbs without disconnecting the dashboard harnesses, but if you want to be more comfortable, then disconnect it.

7. Now you can see all the sockets. (It is very awkward to replace the temp and gas level bulbs if the dashboard is not disconnected)

8. This are the sockets and bulb tipes you will find in there. The biggest ones are for the tach and speed. The little ones are used in the temp and gas level. The odometer and the indicator lights will also use the little ones. You can replace them by twisting the socket counterclockwise and pulling out. There is no need to replace the whole socket. Just pull the bulb from the socket and put a new one. Put the socket back and twist clockwise.

This is how it looks with new bulbs.

I hope this helps!
grandotitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #80 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Mitsubishi Pajero
Transmission: 5spd Automatic
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

^^ It's the same on the SF btw. nice
Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #81 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5mt

Nice Grand!!! I was about to ask about the 04 models and you posted up everything I need to know. I would like to replace them with LED's though.
ForeBitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #82 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeBitten View Post
Nice Grand!!! I was about to ask about the 04 models and you posted up everything I need to know. I would like to replace them with LED's though.
I'm glad you found this helpful. However, i do not suggest you to use LED's. I'm some kind of "illumination maniac" and i like everything to light up in different colors and brighter and also putting bulbs where they shouldn't be, etc. The point is that i tried several LED type bulbs to see which one was better (the ones with a single LED, triple LED, 6 LED, High Power, Towers, etc. The conclusion was that oem incandescent bulbs are the better ones as they distribute the light evenly through the gauges. And if you want to change the color, the blue LED's are the only ones which will work as the cluster has some kind of green coating behind avoiding other color to look as they are supposed to.

However give it a try and you might find the right LED. If so, please tell me as i always wanted to change for LED's. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #83 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester L.L. Bean
Transmission: 4EAT Auto

I did this on my 05 and it looks great, but the coolant gauge is still a little dim. It looks like the one in the picture is too. Is this how they come from the factory? Why is the coolant red needle dimmer than the others?

If this is just how it is I can live with it, but I thought it was odd and that maybe I forgot to change or replace a bulb.
sequoia14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #84 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5 MT

So i have an 01 Foz, new to the forum but not new to Subies (this is my third). I bought the 74hp3? whatever was suggested from SBL, put them in they didn't work, swapped them around per the bag (said they were polarity sensitive) still didn't work. Then got some reg 74s just to swap for some sort of illumination. Still nothing. So is it possible that A. My dash is just beat? B. The bulb sockets are toast? I will post some pictures of the sockets later today to show just what I am talking about...
hopecyclery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #85 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia14 View Post
I did this on my 05 and it looks great, but the coolant gauge is still a little dim. It looks like the one in the picture is too. Is this how they come from the factory? Why is the coolant red needle dimmer than the others?

If this is just how it is I can live with it, but I thought it was odd and that maybe I forgot to change or replace a bulb.
Yeahh i noticed that when i replaced my bulbs. I guess it is because the bulbs on the coolant and gas level gauges are smaller than the ones on the tach and speedo. No way to sort this out. And if you get higer watts bulbs, i'm sure the sockets or the cluster itself will start to melt around the bulb.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #86 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester L.L. Bean
Transmission: 4EAT Auto

OK, not a big deal. They still look fine. Just wondered if I had missed replacing a bulb or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandotitat View Post
Yeahh i noticed that when i replaced my bulbs. I guess it is because the bulbs on the coolant and gas level gauges are smaller than the ones on the tach and speedo. No way to sort this out. And if you get higer watts bulbs, i'm sure the sockets or the cluster itself will start to melt around the bulb.
sequoia14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #87 (permalink)
Forum Member

I'm subscribed since I forgot to do it last time and couldn't remember where this post was lol.
ForeBitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #88 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Transmission: AT

I've seen a lot of info on what bulbs are needed for replacement... but does anyone know where you can get the little plastic sockets? more specifically the smaller ones used for the various indicator lights? (ABS, Cruise, ect)

I went to replace my dash lights thinking that they were just burnt out... but once I took my instrument panel out I noticed I'm actually missing a few sockets as well!

I've searched and searched the internet and even sifted through pages of generic ebay dash lights and haven't fount anything :/
SubiFXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #89 (permalink)
New User

Car Model: subaru forester
Default Dash Lighting died...

I Just replaced the dash lights (those lighting my instrument panel) on my 01 Forester...
But now finding out that though they were broken the replacements do not work either.
On the other hand my entire dash lighting (heating, A/C switch etc.) doesn't work.
Only the lighting behind the outside thermometer and the mileage indicator still work when the bright switch is on...
I checked al the fuses, but they are ok.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Plos; 08-11-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Plos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #90 (permalink)
New User

Car Model: subaru forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plos View Post
I Just replaced the dash lights (those lighting my instrument panel) on my 01 Forester...
But now finding out that though they were broken the replacements do not work either.
On the other hand my entire dash lighting (heating, A/C switch etc.) doesn't work.
Only the lighting behind the outside thermometer and the mileage indicator still work when the bright switch is on...
I checked al the fuses, but they are ok.

Any suggestions?
Well uhm I found it myself...

When the lights are burnt out... you do not notice the dimmer is on minimal...

By the way my local car parts dealer (Brezan) had replacement bulbs from Philips. Forgot to write down the model but they were 1.2 watts which is quite sufficient to read the gages in the dark.
Plos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics