6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: '15
Car Model: XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Push Start, how far can you go with no key?

I was curious about something. My sales guy said he will start his car and leave it running. He never worries because "the key" is always in his pocket. Sounded like a good test. As demostrated in this video most push start cars die after they don't detect the key fairly quickly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aU09WT5rXg#t=181

So the good news was without the key, I could not start the car, or enter it.
AFTER I started the car though and left the door unlocked I went back inside and left my key in the house and started the drive. I got to a 1/2 mile and went back home. The displays both said "Key not detected" or something but the car drove normal.

I could find nothing in the manual about this.

So will the car shut off at some point without the key? It seems if you leave the engine running and unlocked someone can drive away with the car.
To that end at least in the outbacks this seems to be the case as well.
2013 SAP Push Button Start Behavior - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

I guess I'm okay with this but i made sure to tell my sales guy, 'cause he lives in a bad part of town, lol!

WRXForesterXT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Han shot first

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT Ltd
Transmission: 3 pedal
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My Focus allows me to drive indefinitely once the engine is running, but if you shut off without the key you must re-fire within 10 seconds or you're done.

My 2007 FXT 5MT is sold. Currently looking for the next toy.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 05:45 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Manual
I had an '09 rx-8 for awhile. Drove off about 1/4 mile with my ex-g/f having the key back at her place, then drove back to get the key - car stayed on the whole time. No idea how far i could have gone.

It was a situation where i had let her drive it, then she got out and i got in the driver's seat with car still running, said goodbye and off I went

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT 2.0
Transmission: High Performance CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Button/Push Start/Fob Scary Warning!

If you are a regular working class driver and own a push/start car fob key as i am as to where you make pit stops in the mornings leaving your car double parked with 4 signals/hazzards on to jump in the dunking D store for the morning rush coffe wake up call think again. Watch this vid and see what happens this happened to me yesterday i really had to document this because its absurd, i thought push start cars with fob keys have paramiter distance shut of relay switches for safety? WHAT? see next on vid.

https://youtu.be/yZ7uwFAhpuI

Cheers Suba Bros!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
It isn't safe to have the vehicle shut off when the key isn't detected. If that happened due to a dead battery in your key while driving, what would happen?

The key has to be in the vehicle to start it, but after that you can have no key and the vehicle will run until you turn it off.

I don't understand the reason for a video... isn't it just a phone call?

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Well some people think that the latest technology is safe and valid? If i start my push button car which has a fob key and if the fob key is in my pants/pocket while i leave my car on to maintain the heat while i go to by a coffe and get back it is normal, but if a thief knows this.... i might end up walking to work or home because of this issue and because some car Fobs dont have Fob relay distance cutt of safety switches right? yes a vid is neccessary Josh. its an example of where the Fob whent and where can the car go without keys while on.
Crippled likes this.

Cheers Suba Bros!

Last edited by GeoJosh; 12-17-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Successive quote.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Admin

Garage
It is not safe to have a cutoff switch for if the key fob loses communication.

You know how it works, so don't leave you car on and unattended. No different than if you had a key in the ignition. Would you leave a car running if you had a normal key?

-

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Defeats the purpose of the fob comment, Mercedes benz has a safety feature for fobs, if fob not in vicinity of car or in car itself while in park you touch brakes car shuts off while in parking mode Josh this was my point.

Cheers Suba Bros!

Last edited by GeoJosh; 12-17-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Successive quote.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Admin

Garage
Where exactly did you make that point? This is the first time you have mentioned an override that won't let you shift out of park.

Also, please don't quote every successive post. People don't want to read everything twice.

-

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Most cities and some states outlaw leaving your running car. We have had a rash of car thefts every time it gets cold and people remote start or even leave the keys in and go 15 feet away for coffee.

A friend got burned by his insurance company due to this law. His car was luckily recovered, but they refused to pay the recovery and damage because he had broken a state statute - he was "a material accomplice to the crime".

I also saw that thieves are using remote radio retrievers to gain your keyfob I.D. Then "rebroadcast it" and use your car at will. The old fashioned key will be once again superior security...

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Forum Member

Garage
How is that an override? i tested my brothers car mercedes and i could not drive off while fob was away from car 20 meters or more, the car was on and in park but as soon as i touched brakes it sensed key was not in car it shut down without even tuching gear shifter! Josh ease off alittle on my pots. Some posts of mine might have been out of line racing wise but please dont hold grudges and say thank you if i bring in warning info for some other SUBA BROS out there.

Cheers Suba Bros!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i Touring SBM
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
Garage
I don't care for this feature too. I believe you should be able to start the car leave it run without the key but it shouldn't allow you to shift it out of park.

I'd like to be able to start the car then relock it after I leave. It won't do that either.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Automatic
If you want to start your car, leave it running unattended, just remove the "key", lock the car manually and then when you return, unlock it manually (with key) and go.

Either way, you are running the risk of possible theft. If someone really wants your car while it is running and unattended, they'll make it happen. Subarus are not Mercedes. If you want a "kill switch" feature, get a remote start installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GeoJosh likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayTheFOZbWithU View Post
If you want to start your car, leave it running unattended, just remove the "key", lock the car manually and then when you return, unlock it manually (with key) and go.

Either way, you are running the risk of possible theft. If someone really wants your car while it is running and unattended, they'll make it happen. Subarus are not Mercedes. If you want a "kill switch" feature, get a remote start installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue here is not lock the car after leaving it on double parked and runing. The question is what the *** has the subaru factory done for this because i payed for my car 40.000$ plus with all these ******* features.... top of the line but still i did my tests compared to my bros mercedes i hit brakes and even switched gears and its a cheap system installed get my point. Why do i need antitheft when this defeats the purpose and its vulnerable for a walk by theif following my precious FXT already updated to a STI TS version get it?

Cheers Suba Bros!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Admin

Garage
The is incredibly simple to prevent this from happening. Follow the suggestions given if you really want to prevent your car from being stolen.
Ozark08 likes this.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode