Please Help!!Left Sunroof open and interior of new car now soaked!! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Please Help!!Left Sunroof open and interior of new car now soaked!!

Greetings Everyone,

I am new to the forum and of course have a problem. My brand new forester is soaked to the bone. Last night my sunroof had been left open a crack and the entire front of my forester is soaked, I'm talking about floating things in my cup holders, door handles and all. It's all the front of my car the back seats are dry along with the way back of the car but the front and under the front seats soaked! I've never had this happen to me and now don't know how to dry out the car with out it getting moldy! I've towel dried and gotten the water out of the cup holders, door handles, e-brake etc... Can anyone help me on this please??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Try 15" of muddy flood water...

Anyway, do you have a dehumidifier? If so, put it in the car, put it on max, and close all the windows and doors. If you don't, use the same method with a bucket or two of Damp-Rid from Home Depot. Follow the directions on the bucket. In the mean time, leave the windows open whenever possible to air things out.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
use a shop vac to get as much as you can out.

you may have to remove the carpet or it will mold under it.

search for instructions.

use a couple fans with the windows open

or similar.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: sf - gls
Transmission: manual
or even try going to a valeting shop, they usualy use wet vacs and should be able to offer sudjestions.
have you got acces to a hot air blower, like the type you put under your work desk, not the big old momas just a small one. leave that in blowing gently for a few hours. but i think your gonna have to vacume it every 2 days to stop the mold.

yow can fix anythin with a ommer owr kid
98 2 n/a
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: 2006 & 2010 Forester
Transmission: automatic
Your best bet...

Is to take out the seats and the front half of the carpet.

It doesn't take as long as you think(the seats come out in 20 minutes) and is about the only time to CONFIRM all the moisture is gone.

If you do this SOON, you can save the carpet. You will probably have to change the carpet mat no matter what.

Moisture is not healthy for the ECU either. That needs to be dried soon.

Once the carpet is out and laying in your driveway "visible side down" it can get dry. Sunlight and time are your best bets...including using some mold reducing soap.

'06 For X Prem, '10 For X Prem + WP, both 4EAT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Outback LTD
Transmission: CVT
What a bummer.....happened to me once and I know what a smelly mess it can be. I took my car to the local car wash where they used a wet vac to clean as much as they could and then sprayed Febreeze in the car. I ended up taking the car to a body shop for a full detail and when I got it back it was fine. Just need to make sure you do it quickly and also check to make sure that the open sunroof was the only problem- I had a Jetta with a clogged line that ran alongside the windshield and when it rained water dumped into the car. Good luck
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
+1 on the shopvac and dehumidifier. I would remove the seats and carpet and set them out in the sun for a few days. I would then stuff a dehumidifier in the car and let that run for a few days. You'd be surprised on how much moisture it will collect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 08
Car Model: forester sport xt
Transmission: 5spd
happened to me

same thing happened to me- stupid moonroof closing in segments, or stupid operater not realizing it was still open knowing a thunder shower was about to roll through.

first thing i did was panic then came to sf.org for the answer.
this it what i did

-wet vac as much as possible
-then remove front seats fairly easy
-again wet vac ( i was also able to vac under carpets without removal)
-used like 5 rolls of paper towels to absorb lots of the water under carpets/mat
-after most possible water removal i used empty water bottles to prop up carpets ( i inserted them through vent holes in carpet, stood them vertical under carpet and pad in all low points of all 4 foot wells 2 front 2 back)
-run a dehumidifier along with the car running with ac full cold this should remove all humidity/moisture in the car
- i also spayed an antibacterial spray/mildew remover under carpets once a day while running dehumidifier

this took about 4 days for me. at first i was running car with heat and and humidifier but i think the humidifier would remove moisture faster with ac running. Remember to go out and empty water collector in dehumidifier it will fill up pretty quickly. I was shocked to find even after all the wet vac the dehumidifer was still able to remove over 5 gallons of moisture

I would only run car with heat or ac for 1 hr at a time like every 6 hrs
dehumidifier would run constant while i or someone was home
if no one home i woud set a timer on the dehumidifier to stop just incase water collector would overfill

When this happened to me it had continued to rain for days (no sun) Sun roof was only open for about 2-4 hrs during rain but it was downpouring. maybe why it took 4 days

car has no oder or issues

good luck , dont stress to much

'08 fsxt 5 MT (mine)
'09 xt 4EAT (hers)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 08
Car Model: forester sport xt
Transmission: 5spd
this happened with the 09xt

some good tips here

need help due to my stupididty

'08 fsxt 5 MT (mine)
'09 xt 4EAT (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode