Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Pet barrier

27K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  don1952 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 forrester, any suggestions on what type of a pet barriers fit best?

#10 ·
+3

I love my OEM dog guard. It looks much better than any aftermarket ones would. Plus, it matches my black leather, and keeps the dogs off of it all at the same time!

Downside is they are nasty expensive and you have to remove your rear cargo retractable cover thing because it installs into that spot.

#13 ·
sorry to dig up a old thread
but where would i find this one. i want to keep my pull cover. and the oem ones say you have to drill holes in the car to mount it. is that true. i want to be able to only put it in when i need it and this one looks like it does just that

#14 ·
That's the barrier for the Outback, not the Forester. Looks like it may fit, though.

BTW, there's no need to drill holes to install the Forester pet barrier. The holes are already there, just remove the trim plugs and pop in the nylon anchor nuts that come with it.

#15 ·
So is this a one or the other thing? Or does installing this barrier kill the use of the retractable cover completely? I mean, can you take the barrier out to use the cover without doing major surgery?

All these after market ones look flimsy. I also notice that they are much the same as crates in respect to one design being "made" by different companies.

I swear they're all the same...

#24 ·
^ I can't tell how that one mounts, but the cool thing about the Subaru one is that it bolts into the ceiling in the hatch area. It's really sturdy. That means that big dogs can't knock it down, and also that you can use it to keep stacked-up cargo from falling over the back seats onto your passengers.

#25 ·
Can anyone confirm whether installing the OEM dog barrier means the retractable cargo cover cannot be used also? And whether installing OEM dog barrier involves drilling holes? I have '10 with sunroof. Using cargo cover currently, would not want to give upcover to have the dog barrier, would like both.

#26 ·
The '10 OEM barrier does not replace the cargo cover. It mounts in front of it so that the cover can still be used. That said, taking the barrier in and out looks to be more of a hassle as there are several mounting points (no drilling) and an odd mail chute-like window so that the center rear shoulder belt can pass through.
I don't have one and haven't seen it installed - just looked at an open box and the instructions at a dealership.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.