Navigation Updates-Kenwood - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Navigation Updates-Kenwood

Probably the one most disappointing thing to us about our 09 XT LTD is the built in Subaru/Kenwood navi system. The version which came with the vehicle is the 1.1. I understand there is now a 3.0 version and I'm wondering three things. First what is the cost of the 3.0 version and second where can I get the best price and third is it worth upgrading from the 1.1 to the 3.0?

Thanks......and I apologize in advance if I have duplicated a thread, I tried to search but could not find anything...maybe I just used the wrong search words.

Regards,
Bruce

09 DGM FXT LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Looks like you can either go to your Subaru dealer and have it updated (be interesting to see what this costs?) or it also looks like you can download it from Kenwood if you know the model number (which must be in the owners manual) Car Electronics Support Information | Kenwood Corporation It also looks like the software is also available at Garmin, (is the GPS part Garmin??) again if you know the model number.

Keep us posted, this may take a bit to sort out where exactly you get it from. This will be good to know and have the response in our information base for others.

Good luck

2008 2.5XS 4EAT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I'll see what I can do. I looked briefly at teh navigation manual last night, could not find the model #......but I'm certain it's got to be in the documents somewhere, I just need to spend more time looking.

It would be great if the updates are available on direct from Kenwood and downloadable.....at a reasonable fee.

My Garmin ZUMO gps has downloadable map updates from their website reasonably priced so it makes since such would be available for the Kenwood/Subaru unit.

I'll keep you posted on what I find out, maybe the information will be useful for someone else as well.

Regards,
Bruce

09 DGM FXT LTD

Last edited by Shrkb8; 11-01-2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: change from past to present tense
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 AM

Car Year: 2010
This is the Kenwood item number..

86283AJ07A(86283FG110)

It's version 4 and is $245.00

I can't post the URL yet.

2009 Forester Limited X/2010 Forester Limited XT
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X Limited
Transmission: 4 EAT
Rdromance's info is correct, here's the link;

Navigation Discs

I'd like to upgrade mine but the cost is a bit steep.

2010 X Ltd-w/Nav "Sagecoach"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the update.....................

OUCH............

yes that is quite painful, I think I'll pass on the map update, maybe I can find a used one next year for about half the price.

Thanks for the information and the link.

Regards,
Bruce

09 DGM FXT LTD

Last edited by Shrkb8; 11-03-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: skipped an "e"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
The Modfather

Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Wow that's quite a bit, my version is 2.2 and consists of 3 DVD's I wonder if a burned one would work, hypothetically that is...

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
Wow that's quite a bit, my version is 2.2 and consists of 3 DVD's I wonder if a burned one would work, hypothetically that is...
yea, I was kinda wondering that after my post, I suspect they have some protection built in.

I e-mailed Kenwood about the price to confirm.....they assured the price is correct. I don't see how they can be selling at this price. My lifetime maps for my Garmin ZUMO 550 was less than half what they want for this one single update............it's insane.

We have been really pleased with our Forester but, this is the one thing I find that is absolutely horrible. When we bought this option I figured I would get screwed on this down the road, I just had a bad feeling, suspicions came true. I would never recommend anyone buy this unit. I think they have now changed on the new 2011s and no longer using Kenwood........GOOD THING!!

09 DGM FXT LTD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
pretty much all OEM nav units have insane prices on updated map discs. I think the updated disc for my parents honda is ~$330 Cdn.

Just another reason to go aftermarket navigation.

2010 Satin White Pearl FXT Limited
Mod Journal
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM
The Modfather

Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Quote:
FWIW - the answer is yes they will work and are DL disks. From what I've read that is

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Forum Member

I don't see how they can justify these kinds of prices. I have free Google navigation on my smart phone and all I have to do is plug it into my sound system in the Fosie and follow it turn by turn. It updates itself every few weeks as needed, and will take me anywhere. My onboard Nav system stinks. There still are places/addresses it cannot find during set up in some states. But my GPS equipped cell phone gets me there every time. Kenwood has priced themselves right out of the market.

It will also give me current traffic conditions ahead, and other cool things. And I don't have to push "I agree" every damn time I start it up!!

Mike Harrington, 2009 Forester XT, Black, Navi.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Quote:
FWIW - the answer is yes they will work and are DL disks. From what I've read that is
I borrowed a later data disk from a friend's 2011 Forester today and copied it. It seems to have been a single layer disk as it copied OK on my burner and it runs OK in my 2010 Forester.

I haven't looked to see which HU is installed.

2005 2.5X
2010 Turbo Premium
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Volvo XC60
Transmission: Auto
A Google search might show what you want....there are a number of sites that pop up and then disappear over here and I would imagine the same applies to you guys

I ordered mine based on this thread the site has gone now, so was obviously a bit dodgy on the legality side, but the software is still running fine and is a big improvement over the original.

230 BHP 470 Nm of oil burner
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrkb8 View Post
I'll see what I can do. I looked briefly at teh navigation manual last night, could not find the model #......but I'm certain it's got to be in the documents somewhere, I just need to spend more time looking.
Try the very back of the manual in the Declaration of Conformity. My manual mentions Kenwood FXDD07EF2

2005 2.5X
2010 Turbo Premium
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: ...
Car Model: ...
Transmission: ...
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarmacBoy View Post
based on this thread the site has gone now, so was obviously a bit dodgy on the legality side, but the software is still running fine and is a big improvement over the original.
Thanks man, V17 C1 now workin' like a charm!

Last edited by Georgie; 10-09-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.