Kenwood DNX5140 Navigation system install - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: Forester XT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Default Kenwood DNX5140 Navigation system install

I've had this installed for a few months but never got around to posting up all the pics and the review. I bought this Nav unit after looking at several options including other Nav units and removeable GPS devices as well. My choices were between Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer and Eclipse. Here's were I ruled out the competition.

Alpine: Overall lame GPS. Blackbird is rather gimicky not to mention expensive. I could see this breaking with frequent use. Their GPS engine does not get great reviews

Pioneer: The touch and feel is too gameboy for me, its pretty clear they aimed this unit at the F&F segement of the market. Also, reviews on audio SQ consistently complained of a lot of system noise.

Eclipse: DVD based Nav units are so yesterday. Nav engine isn't the greatest either. Also, Eclipse insists on installing a proprietary plug for reverse cameras then charges a fortune for them. Bite me. A real shame as this is probably the best SQ Nav unit out there. This was actually my first choice before Kenwood released its latest series of Nav units.

Kenwood: Garmin based GPS, simply said it rules. Clear and easy to use, not gimicky. SQ is good but not great, still its good enough that I can live with it .

Back to the install itself. I'm not going to go into how to remove the trim as this has been covered before. However, I'll mention two of the finer points that will make your install experience that much better. (1) Start by applying tape to both sides of the center console. Why ? It scratches very easy. I've never seen another dash material scratch like this stuff. Boo Subaru for that one. (2) When removing the trim around the radio start by pulling out the top section directly below the air vents. I found if I removed this first the sides were easy to take off.

So, here's the backside of the unit. Everything is pretty straightforward and you don't need the manual to hook it all up. Nice to see Kenwood makes a removeable harness that can be replaced seperately. After I installed the deck I learned what the mini-usb plug does. Kenwood says not to connect it, well that's cause its a service feature . Word is, if you connect this plug to a laptop it comes up as a removeable drive and gives you access to all the maps. This means you can make it a Euro map or NA map driven system if you want to change it. I haven't messed with it but its good info to know for future reference. If I ever get back there again I'll attach a usb cable and tuck it away for future use.

Getting all the connections wired up. Some may ask why I use bullet connectors. While I agree soldering is the best approach I use male/female connectors to create my own quick-release harness. If there's ever a problem where I need to pull the deck, I can pull apart all the wires and remove the deck quickly, then reinstall it just as easily.

Shot of the dash all apart. Note how far down I applied tape to prevent scratches.

THis is where I put the GPS receiver. Its located under the center tray. Its easily able to receive a signal with the plastic on top of it. As the base of it is magnetic I stuck it to the metal trim on the dash.

Install is no different than any other deck. Once its all put back together it looks like its OEM which is exactly the look I was going for. OEM decks suck and nobody wants to steal one. I left the plastic protective cover on the screen so it wouldn't get scratched during install. THis is probably the most likely time you'll ding it with something sharp, like the backside of the trim.

That said, I bought a screen protector for it. This is the same stuff they put on IPODS, laptops and other screen devices. I bought mine from Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page, they didn't have a precut size so I bought a DIY kit

1 DIY Cut To Fit Blank Skin (9" x 3.75") @ $6.99

Application was a cinch, see their website for details. For $7 I highlly recommend going this route.

The finished product:

Last edited by Legacy; 08-06-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Reserved

See my rear view camera install here:

Last edited by Legacy; 08-06-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5x Prem
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Kenwood GPS

Very nice install, looks professional. Are you still using the stock speakers?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thnx, I left the rears stock but replaced the fronts with a set of Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5 comps. I'll do an install thread on that one later.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5x Prem

what plugs in to the USB on the back of the deck, your camera? or a Ipod dock station?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

You can plug any USB storage device into the back. This is another reason I went with the Kenwood. I wanted to play all my music off a USB stick since they're so small and easy to use. I have a 16 gig SDHC card plugged into it, I managed to fill it one day and put something like 500 albums on it. Enough music to drive around the world. The USB cable from the deck is about 12 inches long, long enough to reach around from the back to the little side pocket on the passenger side of the center tunnel.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5X Limited

Nice Tutorial!! I just installed my DNX5140 last week and I am very happy with the deck. I used the Supplied USB cable to hook up my iPod adapter. I ran adapter to the glove box so my iPod can stay in the car, charged, and out of sight. I am looking forward to your component installation as I was thinking of putting the same system in the front.

I have to say, the Kenwood sounds fantastic even with the stock speakers. SUCH an improvement over the factory deck...

Also, nice job with the backup camera.
rcautill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Are you using the stock subwoofer as well? I thought it didn't play nice with aftermarket HUs.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

I'll look up those pics for the comp install, there somewhere on the drive. No, I ditched the stock sub a long time ago and went with a seascooby kit.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FSXT / FSTI
Transmission: 4EAT / 6 MT
Gallery: 2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 60 reviews

Looks great. I want an indash navi/dvd unit so bad!
2010 Forester X - Sold-The Green Goblin
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Sub kit guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X & XT VF39
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 79 reviews

Nice looking unit! How do you like it?
sea-scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

I'm overall pleased with it. From the get-go its not as nice sounding as my outgoing Alpine 9815 which was simply a stellar deck. Perhaps I still need to fine tune it but I'm not going to lose any sleep as my exhaust has a nice growl to it so when moving its not noticeable.

Feature wise it has WAY more functionality than listed on the Kenwood website which is rather short sighted of them. Point in case is the 3 way x-over for front/rear/sub. The touch screen is excellent, it works 99% of the time. Sometimes you have to press a button more than once but that's probably also me not pressing the right pixels. Nice to have and probably goign to come in handy down the road: Dual source output. In other words, I can have my favorite music coming out the front speakers while playing a DVD for out little guy in the rear speakers. It also has the option to send a video signal out for remote screens located in the rear...

The interface is quite intuitive and once you've used it for a week or two you pretty much know how to use it. Overall its very well laid out, the setup screens aren't the best (not all of them have a "return" button) but at least that's something you set 'n forget so you're not always playing in there. The setup options themselves are almost too much, you can customize nearly anythign. A nice touch is the ability to change the colour of the screen & backlight on the buttons. There's 10 or so presets then you can customize it like a web page and create your own colours. I left mine the way it came lol.

The nav is great, its Garmin powered so if you've used Garmin before you know what to expect. It has the ability to add POI's (Point of Interest), I recently searched on the web and found a ton of websites dedicated to just this. I konw have a ton of them in place, for exampe all the Subaru dealerships across Canada, all the Home Depots US/CAN, National Parks..... Garmin gives you software to create a POI file, upload it ot the deck in 2 mins and you're done.

For what it costs it does a lot. Originally I was going to buy the one up model 7140 which has the larger screen. My friend convinced me the .5 inches downgrade wouldn't be missed and more importantly you get a physical volume knob. In hindsight its a better choice, I can drop my hand without dropping my eyes off the road and turn the volume up/down safely. The 7140 is all touch buttons.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Transmission: 5MT
Gallery: 11
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

been running this in my fozzy for about 6 months!!! i LOVE it!!!! :-) i'm gonna move mine to the top double din so i'm not looking down so much for GPS and movies!!! if i don't like i'll bring it back down! ha ha
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester S Prem.
Transmission: A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScooby View Post
been running this in my fozzy for about 6 months!!! i LOVE it!!!! :-) i'm gonna move mine to the top double din so i'm not looking down so much for GPS and movies!!! if i don't like i'll bring it back down! ha ha
And, whatchu goona put in the lower spot instead?
Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

I have a gauge pod up to so the logical choice was the OEM location. I would have put mine up top as well if I did not run gauges. I have a brand new Double DIN kit from SUBARUGENGUINEPARTS if you need one, I won't be using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics