iPod integration - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:08 AM
rex 40

Gallery:
iPod integration

Hi,

I just got my 2007 forester 2.5 XT with a "Type H" Radio/CD player. Sad to note it is not an mp3 player and is not iPod ready.

How can I go with iPod integration? Would it void the warranty.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 AM
rex 40

Gallery:

by the way, I love this car!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 13
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
don't the '07's have an aux-in in the armrest?

'05 XT 5 spd VF - SOLD
'13 XT Touring
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 AM
The Sub kit guy
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X & XT VF39
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
The Aux-in should be located where to ashtray use to be in the pocket below the radio. It is in the armrest in the Legacy.

Rex40-

What is your location? The mp3 headunit with AUX-in is standard on the 2007 XT in the US.

05 Forester XTi Premium M/T (bobbytuned VF39)(his)
05 Forester X A/T (hers)
My Journal page
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:01 AM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 70
Garage
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex 40 View Post
Hi,

I just got my 2007 forester 2.5 XT with a "Type H" Radio/CD player. Sad to note it is not an mp3 player and is not iPod ready.

How can I go with iPod integration? Would it void the warranty.

Thanks
It would be helpful if you filled in the location field in your profile so we have an idea where in the world you are located... The US models have the aux input in the center console under the climate control panel:

edit: sea-scooby beat me to it...

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:31 AM
BitHead+Sparky
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So what plugs into the Aux-In

We just picked up our '07 Forester XT and I was happy to see the Aux-In. But what plugs in to that? Is it just a 1/8" stereo mini-plug?

The owner's manual indicates that the head-unit can switch to "iPod" mode, but how does it know it is an iPod via a stereo plug? It certainly won't be passing control information across that.

I'm so confused.

BTW: This is my first post on this forum. We've been Forester owners of an 04 XS which just got turned into a 07 XT. It looks great parked next to my Legacy GT!

Last edited by ZinFreak; 11-03-2006 at 11:13 AM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I believe the CAT button on the stereo is for category in the ipod. I think other systems call it Folder.
Although my wife pressed ours the other day, and this morning there were paw prints on my hood!
On second thought, don`t press it!

Last edited by KeNd0; 11-03-2006 at 02:33 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: MT FXT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That looks like the panel just replaces the ashtray location in previous models, can anyone confirm whether or not the 07 aux-in panel would fit on Foresters made before 07? Maybe Roo or someone else with access to OEM parts?

I could make the electrical connections work as I already have an aux-in cable going to my Alpine head unit, but that panel would really clean up the looks.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:14 PM

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X
His model is non-us. His model has the headlight washers.

That's Fronkensteen!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 07:23 PM
BitHead+Sparky
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFreak View Post
We just picked up our '07 Forester XT and I was happy to see the Aux-In. But what plugs in to that? Is it just a 1/8" stereo mini-plug?
It is.

I went to Radio Snack and purchased a male-to-male 1/8" stereo mini-plug and voila, instant audio from the iPod.

Now I have to figure out how to replace the head unit so I can control the iPod from the front panel.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester X
Gallery: 2
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
go with the alpine cda 9856, i installed it 6 months ago its perfect plug the ipod in it charges it and you scroll on the head unit. Make a few mix playlists and you never have to mess with it. its satellite radio ready, digital radio ready, 50 watts by 4, sub out, perfect!!! Ill post pics of it in the modz section tomorrow show you the sub n all its the best system i've had.

Long Beach, NY
07' Forester X
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Gone but not forgotten - R.I.P.
Contributing Member

+1 on the Alpine 9856.

Although its 50 watts PEAK power, 18 watts RMS.

If we could all sit around in socks watching Wheel of Fortune, we would, but we can\'t, so let\'s do it right. -Dogsnack
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:43 PM

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
It is.

I went to Radio Snack and purchased a male-to-male 1/8" stereo mini-plug and voila, instant audio from the iPod.

Now I have to figure out how to replace the head unit so I can control the iPod from the front panel.
I am no expert on such matters, but I have done a bit of research. It seems that cars that have an auxiliary input like yours allow you to plug an ipod in so you can play your music through the factory stereo. With this set-up you cannot control the ipod with the head unit, only listen to the tracks on your ipod, as you have found out.
In order to do that, you need to go aftermarket. Several manufacturers sell head units that take over full control of the ipod, but I don't believe that it works through the dash mounted input jack, but rather through the charging/syncronizing port on the bottom of the ipod when plugged into an adaptor that looks like the business end of the cable you use to plug your ipod into your computer. This is usually tucked into a glove box, or somewhere out of sight when installed. Since you then control the ipod through your head unit controls, you do not need to have handy access to it on your console to use it. Keeps your ipod stealthy and safe.
From reading the threads on the interior/electronics forum related to stereo upgrades, there are several writers on this forum with vast experience installing sound system upgrades who could do a better job explaining this than I can, for sure.
Good luck with your upgrade and be sure to tell us how it all turns out for you. I hope to be able to make some changes to my sound system before spring break.
-Steve
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Recovering Modaholic
Contributing Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
It is.

bump...has anybody installed an "aux" input on an 04-05 XT? I'm wondering if there's a way to install one and what setting would the stereo have to be set to to use an aux input?

I'm trying to figure out the cleanest way to install my ipod and after reading the scoobymods page :http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3357 I'm still slightly confused.

05 SG9 FXT CGM 5spd (for sale)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 09:12 PM
BitHead+Sparky
Contributing Member

Well I'm a little less concerned about controlling the iPod now. Wifey and I bought each other a Garmin Nuvi for Christmas. It plays MP3's and gives verbal turn directions. What a sweet little unit. Uploaded the locations of all Starbucks into it. Really cool to "take me to the next caffeine loading station"

I've got this plugged into the AUX jack and has performed wonderfully over our travels of California in the last week. I'm going to consider options to hardwire the power/audio harness into the dash to get it out of sight.

I'm not going to worry about the iPod for this car. I think to go iPod, the best solution is to go aftermarket with a HU that intergrates with the iPod.

-Zin
13 BRZ LTD WRB 6EAT
13 WRX LTD WRB
07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.