Glove Box removal/cabin filter change 2010 Forester
Here is how I went about this step by step:
1. Open Glove Box. Remove damper(it is the black shock absorber like thing attached to the right side) by using channel lock pliers, squeezing gently while pushing the clip through the hole.
2. Check crewzer's thread above to see how it is assembled. DIY 2009 Forester Cabin Filter Replacement
3. At the bottom of the glove box, there are two clips holding it in. Start with the right side, and while partially holding the box closed, with both hands, pull straight up towards the windshield(if you pull straight out, you will break the clips). It will take plenty of strength the first time you do this, but you will hear the clip give way and pop.
4. Repeat with the left clip.
5. The box is now loose. It doesn't come straight out-it must be gently twisted while removing.
6. To remove the filter, pinch the top and bottom clips holding it in, and pull straight out. It also needs to be manipulated to remove.
7. Make sure you install the new filter right side up. On the front of the filter is an arrow.
8. Now put the glove box in. Then, make sure to get the clips on the box lined up on the bottom glove box frame. Again, if you are not careful, you will break the clips. Start with the left side, and the box again partially closed. Again, with much strength, and using both hands, push the box onto the left side until you hear a snap.
9. Repeat with the right side.
10. Now, replace the damper. Mine was kind of lost in the frame, but was easy to pull out. You can just push this on. No tool needed.