help programing remote - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: forester
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default help programing remote

I have a 2005 Forester. The key remote finally bit the dust. I got a new one online and have been trying to program it following the instructions I found. But I have been unsuccessful.

The instructions I have say to sit in the driver seat unlock all the doors, open and close the drivers door and then turn the key from LOCK to ON 10 times within 15 seconds at which point I should hear a honk indicating the system is ready to program. The problem is that despite multiple attempts I do not hear the initial honk indicating its ready to program. I have made sure that Im stopping at both LOCK and ON.

I was hoping someone who has been through this could lend me their insight into what I might be doing wrong. I would appreciate any help.
gdp057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
JCT
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

EDITED - INFO IS NOW ACCURATE FOR AN 05 Forester...

Remote Funcitons:
Lock: press Lock button for 2 seconds or so to lock car, and arm optional security system. The car with chirp once and turn signals flash for locked, 5 short chirps and signal flashes if any door is not fully closed. The dome light goes on for 15 seconds and ignition key ring (if present) will light for 30 seconds when unlocked.
Unlock: press unlock one time for driver's door, press again within 5 seconds to unlock all doors inkling rear gate (wagon). The system does not open the trunk.
Panic mode: press and hold lock button for approx. 3-4 seconds to activate Panic mode. I panic model the horn honks and turn signals flash until either the lock or unlock button is pushed again.
Finder mode: Press lock button 3 times within 5 seconds to activate Vehicle Finder mode. The horn will honk once and the turn signals will flash 3 times
Distance: works within approx. 30 feet depending on battery strength, nearby concrete walls and etc.
Audible Chirp On-Off: the system will chirp when locked or unlocked. To turn OFF the chirps, unlock the door and then push both lock and unlock buttons at the exact same time for 2+ seconds. There will be 2 chirps indicating the the audible is off. To turn the chirp back on, repeat the process and the system will chirp one time when it is back on.
Battery: as the battery ages it will only work as you get closer to the car. When a battery is replaced, the transmitter must be re-synchronized with the Keyless control unit. To synchronize, press the lock or unlock button 6 times.
Programming: 4 codes may be programmed.
EDIT - Unlock all doors
EDIT - DO NOT INSERT KEY INTO IGNITION YET
Sit in driver's seat and unlock all doors. Open and close the driver's door
EDIT - NOW INSERT KEY INTO IGNITION
Turn the ignition key from LOCK to ON position 10 times within 15 seconds. Be sure to stop at both lock and on. The horn will HONK once to indicate transmitter programming mode is activated. Leave key in LOCK position and don't remove it from ignition.
You now have 45 seconds to complete the programming as below.
Open and close driver's door again.
Push either lock or unlock button on the remote you want to program. The horn will honk 2 times when successful.
To continue and program other remotes at the same time: open and close the driver's door and push lock or unlock on the remote. The driver's door must be opened and closed between each remote you want to program.
Done programming? remove the key from the ignition and the horn will honk 3 times.
DELETE old codes? Reprogram 4 times, it will overwrite old codes.

Alarm Security System: optional on all models. When locked there is one chirp (can be turned off, see above), the turn signals will flash and the red 'security' light will start to flash once every 2 seconds except for STi which flashes twice every 2 seconds.
There will be 5 chirps if a door, hood, and trunk or gate is not fully closed
You can also arm the system by using the power lock button on the driver or passenger door as you get out of the car and then closing the door behind you.
Disarm the system: push unlock for 2 seconds
Lost remote, alarm activated? When you can't use a remote to turn off the system: open the door with a key or try to start the car and the horn will start to honk. Turn the key on-off 3 times within 5 seconds and the alarm will go off and you can start the car. It's simple!
VALET mode: To set valet mode or just to disable the security alarm system: 1. unlock all doors 2. physically open the driver's door 3. hold the UNLOCK button on remote for 2+ seconds. The red 'security' light will then flash 2 times a second until the car is turned on. System has been Tripped (except for STi): if you unlock the door with the remote and it chirps the signal light flash 4 times, the system has been triggered;
Identification mode: To find out what happened and why the system was triggered:
Open and drivers door, leave it open. Turn ignition key from LOCK to ON 2 times and then leave in LOCK position.
Tripped code: 1 security light flash: a door has been opened, 3 flashes when the impact sensor was triggered, 4 flashes when the ignition was messed with or battery disconnected

Last edited by JCT; 04-26-2008 at 06:05 PM.
JCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car Year: 04

wow, that's a novel. haha. i'd just go to the dealer.
satalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
JCT
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satalac View Post
wow, that's a novel. haha. i'd just go to the dealer.
Yeah, I thought so at first as well. It's actually programming instructions for 3 different scenarios. The actual programming is very easy.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

oh ok. sorry, i tend to zone out when i see that many words together. haha.
satalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
JCT
Forum Member

Wel, I can't find the override/programming button on mine.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
JCT
Forum Member

I STILL haven't found the button and it's driving me INSANE.

I've climbed under there and poked around countless times and haven't found it. Has anyone found theirs? I'm wondering if mine doesn't have a button.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester Sports XT

I've only seen "the button" on older security systems (the ones that use the square fobs). For 05 I believe the key on key off 10 times method works but instead of leaving it in the off position, I've only been able to do it by leaving the key in the on position after the horn chirps. Also, I've had to leave the key out when the initial open and close of the drivers door is performed. It wouldn't work for me when the key was in right off the bat. If it still doesn't work, there's a numbered code inside the remote (if there's letters in the code the previous mentioned method should be the right way) that has to be programmed.
Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
JCT
Forum Member

SYLVIA YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC even my users manual says I have a button but I don't.

I found that I did have to have the key in the Off/Lock position after turning it on and off 10 times... but the key thing you said was not having the key in the ignition when I first open and close the door to initiate everything. Before I did everything with the key in the ignition.

Updated my cut and paste in above post so info is now accurate.

Last edited by JCT; 04-26-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester Sports XT

I'm glad it worked out.
Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unhappy 06 XT programing problems

Ok, so I bought one of those keys entry systems off eBay. It came with the programing instructions as above (which was identical to what came with the remote), however they don't work. I then cracked open my owner's manual on programing key less modules. Here is what is says:

􀁔Programming the transmitters
The keyless entry system is equipped with a special code learning feature that allows you to program new transmitter codes into the system or to delete old ones. The system can learn up to four unique transmitter codes. The four transmitter codes may be the same or different.

Programming transmitter codes into system:
To register a new transmitter with the keyless entry system, it is necessary to program the transmitter’s code (identification number) into the system. A label showing the code is affixed to the bag containing the transmitter, and another is affixed to the circuit board inside the transmitter. If there is no bag, open the transmitter case and make a note of the eight-digit number. Program the number into the system in accordance with the following procedure:

1. Firmly close the doors and the rear gate.
2. Open the driver’s door, sit on the driver’s seat, and close the door.
3. Perform the following steps within 45 seconds.
1) Open and close the driver’s door once.
2) Insert the key into the ignition switch and then turn it from the “LOCK” position to the “ON” position 10 times within 15 seconds.

NOTE
􀁹When you complete step 2), an electronic tone will sound once.
􀁹If you do not perform steps 1) and 2) within 45 seconds, an error will occur.
Neither an electronic tone nor the buzzer will sound, and the interior lamp will not flash. In this event, perform the whole procedure again beginning with part 1.

4. Open and close the door once within 15 seconds.

NOTE
􀁹When part 4 of the procedure is completed, an electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds.
􀁹If you do not perform the operations in part 4 within 15 seconds, an error will occur and the electronic tone will not sound. In this event, perform the registration steps again beginning with part 3 of the procedure.

5. Before the electronic tone stops sounding, push the lock side of the power door lock switch the same number of times as the leftmost digit of the transmitter code. For example, push the lock switch eight times if the leftmost digit of the code is 8.

NOTE
􀁹The electronic tone will stop sounding when you start entering the number.
􀁹 If you do not start entering the number using the lock switch before the electronic tone stops sounding, an error will occur. In this event, perform the registration steps again beginning with part 3 of the procedure.
􀁹If the interval between one push of the switch and the next exceeds five seconds, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 4. If an error occurs six times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.

6. When you have finished entering the number, push the unlock side of the lock switch within five seconds.

NOTE
􀁹An electronic tone will sound.
􀁹If you push the unlock side of the lock switch when more than five seconds have passed, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 4. If an error occurs six times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.

7. Perform parts 5 and 6 of the procedure for each of the remaining digits of the transmitter code beginning with the second digit (counting from the left) and finishing with the eighth digit.

NOTE
􀁹When you finish entering the eighth digit, an electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds.
􀁹If the interval between one push of the switch and the next exceeds five seconds, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 4. If an error occurs six times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.

8. Before the electronic tone stops sounding, use the power door lock switch to again enter the transmitter code beginning with the leftmost digit.

NOTE
If you do not start entering the number using the lock switch before the electronic tone stops sounding, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 3.

9. When you have finished entering the code a second time, an electronic tone will sound for one second and automatic door locking and unlocking operation will take place once to indicate completion of registration, provided the code entered the second time is identical to that entered the first time.

NOTE
If the code entered the second time is not identical to the code entered the first time, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 5. If an error occurs five times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.

10. If you wish to program another transmitter code into the system (up to four transmitter codes can be programmed into the system), perform the procedure beginning with part 4. When you have finished programming all of the necessary transmitter codes into the system, remove the key from the ignition switch.
11. Test every registered transmitter to confirm correct operation.

􀁔Deleting old transmitter codes
The control unit of the keyless entry system has four memory locations to store transmitter codes, giving it the ability to operate with up to four transmitters. When you lose a transmitter, the lost transmitter’s code remains in memory. For security reasons, lost transmitter codes should be deleted from the memory. To delete old transmitter codes, program four transmitter codes into the system. If you have only one current transmitter, program it four times. If you have two current transmitters, program each one twice. If you have three current transmitters, program
two of them once and the third one twice. This process will leave only current transmitter codes in the system’s memory.

NOTE
Make sure no one else is operating their keyless entry system within range of your vehicle when programming transmitters. If someone else were to operate their remote transmitter while you are programming your transmitters, it is possible that their transmitter code will be programmed into your system, allowing them unauthorized access to your vehicle.

Well for starters, the unit I purchased off eBay DOES NOT have the 8 digit code on the remote (purchased from midwestkeyless).

I then started programing the two remotes that I have from the factory. Those have the codes on them.

After I got done with the key ON - LOCK 10 times, nothing happened UNTIL I opened and closed the driver's door. The horn NEVER honked and the light never blinked. After I opened and closed the door, I then started to hear this faint, but audible electronic tone coming from the engine compartment. I then entered the code in using the lock, unlock button and everything worked fine until I got done entering it the second time. Rather than doing the automatic lock-unlock sequence, it beeped once, paused for 5 sec, than started beeping. This was the only way I found to get to program my remotes. If I tried using the LOCK - UNLOCK buttons on the remotes, it did nothing and the programming mode would error out.

My first question is have any of you done this?

My second and biggest question is how do I program a remote with no code??
Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: sti

will this work on JDM 2004 FSTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdp057 View Post
I have a 2005 Forester. The key remote finally bit the dust. I got a new one online and have been trying to program it following the instructions I found. But I have been unsuccessful.

The instructions I have say to sit in the driver seat unlock all the doors, open and close the drivers door and then turn the key from LOCK to ON 10 times within 15 seconds at which point I should hear a honk indicating the system is ready to program. The problem is that despite multiple attempts I do not hear the initial honk indicating its ready to program. I have made sure that Im stopping at both LOCK and ON.

I was hoping someone who has been through this could lend me their insight into what I might be doing wrong. I would appreciate any help.
ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester X Premium

here is what i did. I bought my remote on ebay also.

**This instruction is for the tear drop shape remote**

I think this is for a 2006 or newer models. My car is an 2006 Forester X Premium

Before programming: Remove the remote cover and find the 8 digit number, write it down, if you have a 2nd remote, find the code for the 2nd one also. (there are 2 sets of code on the back of the circuit board, copy the upper code with all numbers)

Programming your new remote:

1. Sit on the driver seat
2. Open and close driver door.
3. Insert your car key and perform this process within 15 seconds. *turn your key from Off to On for Ten times (10 off and on cycles)
4. Open and close the driver door (electronic beep will sound)
5. If your remote code is this "4532116" for example. Then using the lock button: enter as follow: Press Lock 4 times, then unlock once to enter the 1t digit which is 4. Then push lock 5 times, then unlock once to enter the 2nd digit with is 5.... so on and so forth. Once you're done with 8th digit. The electronic tone will sound again.
6. Perform the same procedures as step 5 to confirm the code.
7. Once you confirmed the code. you'll hear an electronic beep indicating the remote is ready to use.

it's very simple and easy to do,

Last edited by newsuby; 02-07-2009 at 05:11 PM.
newsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: forester xt

Has anyone had any luck with an 04 fxt? I've tried every written instruction word for word and have never gotten an audible beep or horn sound...The neighbors now think I'm completely OCD. "Counting 10 times, opening and closing doors...getting in and out of the vehicle numerous times to re-read 3 sets of instructions for 6 years of production.

Its funny I know! But seriously frustrating.
HBFXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: forester xt
Default Can anyone please help me with my remote?

I Have been trying to program this stupid fob everyday for over a week now...I've been going word for word from the vehicle manual. I can do it by memory now, perfect, every time...No beeps, no honks, nothing. I cant get the car into program mode. My original fob works I just want an extra. Anyhow, I figured out I only have the Valet key today (it doesnt work on the glove box) Can anyone here tell me if that is why I cant get program mode?
I managed to switch the car in and out of valet mode so I know the fob works and I can follow direction...Please help
(04 fxt 4eat) -ANYONE???

Thanks, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBFXT View Post
Has anyone had any luck with an 04 fxt? I've tried every written instruction word for word and have never gotten an audible beep or horn sound...The neighbors now think I'm completely OCD. "Counting 10 times, opening and closing doors...getting in and out of the vehicle numerous times to re-read 3 sets of instructions for 6 years of production.

Its funny I know! But seriously frustrating.
HBFXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics