Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2006 - Getting Into Programming Mode Problems - remote fob?

('06-'08) 
21K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Forester, and after 5 years each remote has broken in exactly the same way. The lock switch breaks off of the microprocessor board and seems impossible to reattach. I have a OEM remote I bought a couple of years ago and wish to program it. I have read the posts re opening and closing the door, turning ignition from lock to unlock 10 times, opening and closing the door and when there is an audible signal, reprogramming the remote code by locking and unlocking the car door. I have done this many times in the past couple of days and cannot get it into programming mode to save my life. What am I missing. If anyone can be of help, I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
#4 ·
Did you followed the instructions I posted in my Member Journal? The previous post linked you to it.

• One easy to make error is not turning the ignition key all the way to ON/RUN or needing another cycle to reach 10 times.
• I've read where you can keep cycling the ignition key until the tone sounds... no need to keep an accurate count.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

#5 ·
I am overwhelmed by that thread! Is the following the correct updated approach? If so I have tried this multiple times without being able to enter programming mode. Horn never honks! Help!

Programming: 4 codes may be programmed.
Sit in driver's seat and unlock all doors. Open and close the driver's door
Turn the ignition key from LOCK to ON position 10 times within 15 seconds. Be sure to stop at both lock and on. The horn will HONK once to indicate transmitter programming mode is activated. Leave key in LOCK position and don't remove it from ignition.
You now have 45 seconds to complete the programming as below.
Open and close driver's door again.
Push either lock or unlock button on the remote you want to program. The horn will honk 2 times when successful.
To continue and program other remotes at the same time: open and close the driver's door and push lock or unlock on the remote. The driver's door must be opened and closed between each remote you want to program.
Done programming? remove the key from the ignition and the horn will honk 3 times.

#6 ·
If you're not following the steps below, then you're not using the programing steps required for the '06+. That's the reason I previously posted a link to this thread:

As I asked on the above posts. Are you following the programing steps I posted below.

Bobby...

The programming instructions are in the Owner's Manual, but I found them a bit confusing, so I rewrote the instructions... so they made more sense to me.

#9 ·
Was there ever a solution to this problem? I am experiencing the exact same situation, following the instructions exactly (I think anyway) and never get the first "tone" or the "30 second tone".

What could the problem be and is there any other way to program the fob, other than a dealer? While I cannot check now, all being closed, I am sure they want "too much money", especially since I did not buy the fob from Subaru.

#8 ·
Note step [3] on my programing instructions, which states a "tone" will sound once, not a horn honk. I doubled check in my Owner's Manual & it says "an electronic tone will sound once".

Bobby...

#11 ·
@slarra I also had some great difficulty with an 06. In my case, the solution seems to have been doing the ignition key dance more than 10 times.

I did not keep count after 10 as I did not expect it to work. But before 15, pretty sure, it went into program mode. Putting that down to worn ignition key switch, maybe all the cycles were not being detected? The suggestion to try more than 10 was supplied in another similar post.

#14 ·
@alexandk67 welcome to the forum!

Please complete your "Public Profile" ► add your vehicle details! ◄
Bobby...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.