post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: subaru forester xt
Transmission: 5mt
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fog lights quit working!

ok ladies and gents, id like to pick your brains for a second. my 04 fxt decided that it didn't want to keep using its fog lights anymore, so i checked the fuse its still good, i wasn't sure what relay it was so i got a new one and tried it in each relay spot under the steering column, still nothing. im kinda leaning towards maybe a bad switch? but the light still comes on. now i know that doesn't necessarily mean the switch is working. so im kinda at a stand still. i figure this is the best place to start. i can do electrical work but honestly ive been so busy that i haven't had time to really dive right in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Murphy's Law is still on the books, and we have indeed had many cases here of people spinning their wheels looking for a sophisticated problem when it ended up to be just a case of both bulbs burning out. Do you know for sure that they both went out at exactly the same time?

Have you checked for power at the back of the two bulbs?

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: subaru forester xt
Transmission: 5mt
havent had the chance to check for power yet at both bulbs got a weeks vacation coming up so i figured id dig into deeper then. and im not sure if they both stopped at the same time. i was driving on a dark 2 lane highway one night and noticed that it wasnt as bright as it normally was. pulled off at a gas station and thats when i saw them both out. so id could probably be simple and both bulbs be out. by any chance would you happen to have the bulb number? my work doesnt list them in the computer
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My 2003 takes H3, and I'm pretty sure they were the same for the next year or two.

The claim in the owners manual that it's a difficult job and you should go to the dealer (and refusing to list the bulb type in the manual) is evidence of a simply unforgivable design process. They did a few things like that.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: ...
Car Model: ...
Transmission: ...
Bulbs, mine have just gone out a week apart.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-H1-NIGHT-BREAKER-PLUS-BULBS-SUBARU

-- cheaper from the UK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.