Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Drivers seat - option of a truly great drivers seat

('14-'18) 
2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Yoda_One 
#1 ·
I have asked this question at auto shows and at dealerships . Why don't auto makers have an option of a truly great drivers seat as an option ? This one gets all the use but usually has the same size and bolstering as the front passenger other than the electric 8 , 10 or 12 way adjustments . Base and mid grade models also usually are only manual adjustment . It would be so nice to go into a shop / dealership and have a fitted or custom upgraded seat and we are only talking about one , because most vehicles today are buckets and one size or type does not fit all or fit everyones liking .

#5 · (Edited)
One problem nowadays is because the seats are full of airbags, etc., every variation has to get crash tested.

And unfortunately, since human body types are so different, you'd have to have several different options if everyone was going to be happy.

And they would cost more than a couple hundred dollars. The sport seats in a Corvette are a $2,000 option and in a Porsche Cayman the top-of-the-line sports seats are a $3,800 option.

But believe me, it would be great if they put the STI seats in the Forester, as the standard seats are really a huge weak point (IMO)

#6 ·
I would buy an aftermarket bucket or a fancy one I could dial in if I could get one under a grand. Ha! I could do with out the electric and suffer the indignity of knobs and such. But it still would be a bundle for the airbags. And I did buy it for safety.

I priced an aftermarket heated seat retrofit on another vehicle. $450. huh wah? :) Bought a wagan $25 unit.

#8 ·
I agree! I would pay $1000 (on a new car) to get a super primo driver's seat. After all, it's my main interface with the car, and I'm using it 99% of the time I'm in the vehicle. A factory option would mean it was properly tested, airbagged, etc.

I noticed that (IIRC) Volkswagen has a premium seat option (although maybe not in all models).

#11 ·
If you want a seat that fits YOU, why not have a reputable shop custom contour the one you have??

#12 · (Edited)
I've thought of that, but I'd still rather have one that I can sit in and try out (say, at a dealer) and then simply purchase. I've never had a seat custom contoured, but I'm picturing trying it out for an hour, going back, having them change it, trying it out for an hour, etc. etc. If there is a stock option, I can try it out on the test drive, won't have to take extra time, no worries about whether I chose a good shop or not (or even have one nearby). Not saying I wouldn't do custom, but just that I'd happily fork out a chunk of dough to have a Subaru option for great seats. (Not expecting them to be free; just want the option.)

Edited to add: Plus, while I would like it to fit me, I don't want it to be super customized just for me. I'd just like an "upscale" seat, with more bolstering, a longer seat cushion, etc. (while keeping lumbar adjustability) Like a stock "better" seat would be. I sat in a sporty stock Subaru (this was in 2014 and I wasn't familiar with all the models then) and it was amazing. Maybe it was a BRZ?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.