Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2006 - DIY ► Glove box light install!

('06-'08) 
6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  broadbean 
#1 ·
Recently I purchased my 06 FXT and noticed there were spots for a glove box light but no light/sensor. This is the lazy guy version as I had left over parts from another glove box that went in my STi. I look forward to redoing this later but currently had a lifting incident and I am on some medication that makes me very dizzy and nauseated at times but had to get out of the house and do something. So I will look forward to finishing it off in a more professional manner.

Forgot to take a picture of the glove box in but if you have ever done a cabin air filter follow those steps to remove the screws to remove it.

Here is an image of the Forester wiring to the blower motor. Then my 05 STi I was pretty surprised they changed it between the two models. Was hoping they were lazy and left the connector but after some searching I could not find it. So onward to plan b.
Forester blower wiring

STi (purple and black wire are what I was looking for on the Forester.)

Now with it out here is the backside showing the hole for the light switch and light hole.

Here is the wiring that you can pull off an Impreza at you pull it car lot or most likely buy new from Subaru.

Then removed the shift knob and surround to access the power outlet and use it to test. This is the lazy way and I need the key on to use it but for now it will do.

Purple is power and black is ground... Pretty simple. Testing for operation.

And now the final product. Little bit bright outside but definitely working as wanted!

If you have anymore info or comments to add please feel free! Hopefully I will be feeling better soon and will find a constant power to have it work at all times. Thanks for stopping by! Hope it helps someone out.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is one of those Subaru mysteries. Foresters (at least through 08 and probably beyond that) come with appropriate mounting holes but no light or switch. The light and switch from the Impreza are a perfect fit.

Peaty long ago posted his DIY on Scoobymods, including a good source of local power. You can find it here, but note that you have to sign up to see pictures.

Get well soon!

#3 ·
I did see that a long time ago and was having trouble finding it today. Thank you very much. I will definitely have to go on and power it from there. Less wiring throughout the car too. I had found the SH Forester diy on here and couldn't find this model. Thanks for the well wishing as well!

I am always tickled thinking that Peaty lives somewhere around and I have read many many of his diys and there have always been quite helpful. Probably have passed right by him and never knew.

#4 ·
Put an at sign in front of his name and he will surely come greet you here.

I'll do it for you: @Peaty !

I think we had better coverage of the glove box light here before the site crashed in 2006. Peaty did once do a post on convenient power sources, but I couldn't find it when I looked today, either here or at Scoobymods.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.