LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dashcam Recommendations and Installation

Hello all,

I just got my first Subaru (2017 Forester Premium with Eyesight+BSD+RCT). Obviously, I want to make sure I protect my investment. I've heard good things about dashcams, particularly ones with a front and back camera. One person recommended a "Blackvue dr650gw".

I'm looking to get feedback regarding (1) whether you think a dashcam is worth it (2) what models you recommend (3) how visible/intrusive the wires are in the front and back and (4) any advice you have on installation (given that I've never added anything electronic to a car).

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT Lux
I think dashcams are definitely worth it. For the little they cost (some good ones as cheap as $150ish here in Aus) they could save your *** in a legal battle.

The one we put in my girlfriends MK5 golf isn't hardwired in, we just ran the cable up around the visor, pushed it into the trim above the door handle and down the pillar to the floor then across to the cig lighter. It doesn't really get in the way but sometimes the cable will come back out of the trim above the passenger door, we just poke it back in (don't want to take panels and trim off on her car if we can avoid it).

The one in my forester is a bit different, it's hardwired into my android head unit. I spent a lot of time getting it right, cut a small hole in the roof compartment and routed the cable through the roof, across to the pillar, down into the back of the dash and into the head unit. Everything is completely hidden!

I love that my dash cam comes through to my head unit, if I want to retain any footage I just tap on the running dash cam app and press on the viewfinder screen. There are also many different resolutions and 'qualities' available to record in.

Some stuff to think about.

epithymetic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:39 AM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is how I installed mine: Street Guardian dashcam installed with EyeSight

Definitely recommend having a dash cam. This is my first one and I will always have one in the future. Wires are not in the way if you run them correctly.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:03 AM
Space For Rent

Car Year: 1997
Car Model: Forester T/TB
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
I've had them in the last 3 vehicles I've owned, make sure you get a 2-channel. I have a Lukas 7950WD which has worked awesome, check out https://dashcamtalk.com for good reviews and sample videos of various dash cams.
epithymetic likes this.

My 1997 JDM Members Journal:

2011 Limited 2.5
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Xt
Good timing, I actually purchase mine last Friday waiting for it to arrive Monday. I went with black sys, have great parking mode and one thing I got it because it can handle higher temperature since I live in Texas. https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...acksys-ch-100b this site is great have lots of reviews and installation. I also have eyesight and have an idea how to run the wires.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A couple options.

IF you need 12volt you can pick it up at the fuse box with an add-a-fuse

if you need a cig outlet running around the trim is easy.

Mine has the 12v-5v converter in the plug so I couldnt cut it off and wire it in the fuse box easily.

I shoved the wire behind the windshield trim.. pulled the A pillar trim and ran under it.
then tucked it in on the passenger side of the dash.. around the passenger side footwell and into the 12volt outlet under the radio..

The only problem I had was the wire falling out of the windshield trim.. I took some electrical tape and wrapped the wire a few times to make it thicker then it stayed tucked in fine.

IF you really want front and rear I'd recommend 2 cameras.. 1 in front and 1 in rear.

The cameras that have both(front and rear facing cameras) and mount in front are more for interior passengers aka uber riders etc.

They do have newer ones with a separate rear camera that plugs into the main box but of course you have to run the wires on those.

Just having a front facing one will cover you in 95% of all situations for vehicle accidents decent ones start at 50$ or so.
IF you want it for parking etc it gets more complicated. and you need to pony up more $$$ for something more sophisticated.

The blackbox model listed earlier is pretty nice.

Even in utah I'd recommend a model with no battery or with a capacitor as the black camera sitting in the windshield can get very hot and have battery issues.
epithymetic likes this.

Last edited by Rand; 03-18-2017 at 08:09 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester 2.5iPremium
Wu01ok, I made sure not to mess with the EyeSight system, but if you have the Sun/Moon roof, you have a switched power source right there. I tapped a power only mini usb to the sun roof's switch and haven't had any trouble, I just made sure the cable was secured so not to disturb the EyeSight system.

The style of dashcam I have is the small wedge that adheres to the windshield and is placed as close to the mirror frit as possible, but some of the dots show in the upper left portion of the video. I still get a great image of the road ahead.

The radar detector also in the image is tapping into the mirror's power.
epithymetic likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by UG64 View Post
Wu01ok, I made sure not to mess with the EyeSight system, but if you have the Sun/Moon roof, you have a switched power source right there. I tapped a power only mini usb to the sun roof's switch and haven't had any trouble, I just made sure the cable was secured so not to disturb the EyeSight system.

The style of dashcam I have is the small wedge that adheres to the windshield and is placed as close to the mirror frit as possible, but some of the dots show in the upper left portion of the video. I still get a great image of the road ahead.

I'm a little unclear on where you are drawing power from. Did you remove the housing for the eyesight cameras? It looks like one solid panel to me...

Last edited by GeoJosh; 03-18-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Remove photo from quote
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Forum Member

Oh yeah, that I know. I will make sure to run the cables on the top to the head liner. The only thing is installing the camera in the middle away from the eyesight. What mount are you using?

Quote:

Last edited by GeoJosh; 03-18-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Remove photo from quote
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithymetic View Post
I'm a little unclear on where you are drawing power from. Did you remove the housing for the eyesight cameras? It looks like one solid panel to me...

I threw some pictures together for you.

You will pry the cover below the dome lights off.

This exposes two 8mm bolts to remove.

From the side opposit of the windshield, locate two tabs roughly an inch from the side, you will push in and pull down. The tab is inset, so you can locate it by sliding your pry tool along the inside of the cover.

Gently, pull down behind each of the cameras. I pull one down at a time with my fingers.

I found switched power on my 2016 off the sunroof switch. In my car, this wire is pink/silver.

I tapped a ground off of the sunroof motor.

Upon reassembly, I replaced the cover below the dome lamp, lamp side first.

Sorry, I've slapped this together between my niece's lacrosse games.

epithymetic likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu01ok View Post
Oh yeah, that I know. I will make sure to run the cables on the top to the head liner. The only thing is installing the camera in the middle away from the eyesight. What mount are you using?
The camera I use mounts directly to the glass. No bracket involved.

UG
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Forum Member

This is exactly what I was looking for thanks a lot. I try prying it open today but didn't know the middle piece need to be pry open first and just give up lol.

Quote:
I threw some pictures together for you.

You will pry the cover below the dome lights off.

This exposes two 8mm bolts to remove.

From the side opposit of the windshield, locate two tabs roughly an inch from the side, you will push in and pull down. The tab is inset, so you can locate it by sliding your pry tool along the inside of the cover.

Gently, pull down behind each of the cameras. I pull one down at a time with my fingers.

I found switched power on my 2016 off the sunroof switch. In my car, this wire is pink/silver.

I tapped a ground off of the sunroof motor.

Upon reassembly, I replaced the cover below the dome lamp, lamp side first.

Sorry, I've slapped this together between my niece's lacrosse games.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Forum Member

I see you hardwire to the dome instead of the fuse. Since mine has the parking assist function will it be better for me to wire to fuse box or tap into the done light wires?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Space For Rent

Car Year: 1997
Car Model: Forester T/TB
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu01ok View Post
I see you hardwire to the dome instead of the fuse. Since mine has the parking assist function will it be better for me to wire to fuse box or tap into the done light wires?
For parking mode, you need constant power, pretty sure that the dome light would work fine. I used a fuse tap, and set my low volt disconnect to 12.4 volts.

My 1997 JDM Members Journal:

2011 Limited 2.5
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Forum Member

Ok. Thanks I will check it out once it get my camera in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode