('14+) Bluetooth Auto-Muting w/ Audio Streaming & Nav - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
New User

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bluetooth Auto-Muting w/ Audio Streaming & Nav

Hi Guys,

First time poster and new Subaru owner here! I'm running with a 2014, with the non-nav, stock head unit.

I searched the forums and found a lot of threads about Bluetooth problems & haven't found one that applies to my specific situation. So I apologize for yet another Bluetooth post. So here's my issue:

If I'm streaming audio (Spotify or a PodCast app) and trying to use navigation (Waze or Google Maps) the radio will automatically mute after the navigation chimes in with directions.

In other word: cruising along listening to streaming music, navigation says "Turn left in 100 ft", radio automatically mutes when navigation finishes its sentence.

Does anyone else run into this? Is there a setting to adjust or work-around i'm missing?

Thanks!
-Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT
Transmission: CVT
I have a similar issue in my '12 VW GTI. Haven't figured out the exact cause yet, but it may have something to do with bluetooth profiles on the phone and the apps you use.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
that's got more to do with your phone and the app than it does with the head unit. See if there are updates for your phone, audio apps and navigation apps.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Forum Member

try to recreate the same scenario but running the audio through the aux cable instead of streaming via bluetooth. If you still have the same results then the issue has to do with the way your cellphone programing handles the app permissions when having two concurrent audio signals.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Forum Member

I get the same problem. If I have blue tooth on and try to listen to navigation from my phone through speakers, my phone auto plays whatever sound and music files first and then mutes it when it's done. If I un mute it it goes back to auto playing music from the beginning. Makes me want to throw it out the window and run it over.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.0XT
Transmission: Auto
An issue I'm having is my GPS app will automatically stream through the cars bluetooth. If i try to turn it off then there is no voice guidance and the APP refuses to just have the voice guidance through the phones speakers for some reason; with no option to turn that off.

If I flip modes to radio then my GPS app will go silent and not give me any voice guidance. I think this is an issue with the APP's end, looking through settings trying to find a way to turn off bluetooth settings without actually having to turn it off on my phone completely.

Using an iphone 5 with motion-X GPS app
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
I have the 20014 with the Harmon Kardon Nav head. New car with 1,300 miles on it after 2 weeks

After reading this thread, I took the car for a short spin with Waze navigating on my iPhone 4s/ IOS 7.06.

First experiment with iTunes streaming on BT: Music playing, the voice directions muted the iTunes music, announced the directions and went back to music when done.

Second experiment: XM playing, iPhone BT connected. Set voice in Waze to prefer BlueTooth ( for no reason except to try this setting ). With XM playing, Waze had a turn coming up, muted XM and voice announced the turn over the HK system. It showed as a "incoming call" on the Nav display. When done with direction announcement, volume for XM back to normal.

Over all the iPhone/HK head unit seemed to work well together. The only criticism I have is with the Waze application: since I was testing the voice/directions feature I was making a lot of "wrong turns" that required the Waze to recalculate the route. I found the recalculation to take a lot longer than a dedicated GPS unit; it took 60-90 seconds to find a new route most of the time. In all fairness however the route it was recalculating was almost 250 miles long so if it starts for scratch each time, that is a lot of possible turns to evaluate.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Xt touring
Transmission: Cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendetim View Post
I have the 20014 with the Harmon Kardon Nav head. New car with 1,300 miles on it after 2 weeks

After reading this thread, I took the car for a short spin with Waze navigating on my iPhone 4s/ IOS 7.06.

First experiment with iTunes streaming on BT: Music playing, the voice directions muted the iTunes music, announced the directions and went back to music when done.

Second experiment: XM playing, iPhone BT connected. Set voice in Waze to prefer BlueTooth ( for no reason except to try this setting ). With XM playing, Waze had a turn coming up, muted XM and voice announced the turn over the HK system. It showed as a "incoming call" on the Nav display. When done with direction announcement, volume for XM back to normal.

Over all the iPhone/HK head unit seemed to work well together. The only criticism I have is with the Waze application: since I was testing the voice/directions feature I was making a lot of "wrong turns" that required the Waze to recalculate the route. I found the recalculation to take a lot longer than a dedicated GPS unit; it took 60-90 seconds to find a new route most of the time. In all fairness however the route it was recalculating was almost 250 miles long so if it starts for scratch each time, that is a lot of possible turns to evaluate.

I see a common trend with people having bluetooth problems, and them using droid phones.

This is how apple attacked Microsoft for years, when you have standard hardware compatibility is much more certain.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
As an update to the Waze app on my iPhone with iTunes playing over BT streaming. While continuing to experiment I discovered an annoying glitch with phone calls and Waze.

Had iTunes playing through the head unit and Waze giving audio directions which muted and unmuted the iTunes properly. All good! Then I received a phone call which I answered from the "phone button" on the steering wheel.

That is where a problem arose. The Waze app kept giving verbal directions at the same time the audio from the phone call was sounding in the speakers. The long and short of it was I could not really understand either.

I guess when I think about it there is really no good solution: either hear the caller or possibly make a wrong turn.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendetim View Post
As an update to the Waze app on my iPhone with iTunes playing over BT streaming. While continuing to experiment I discovered an annoying glitch with phone calls and Waze.

Had iTunes playing through the head unit and Waze giving audio directions which muted and unmuted the iTunes properly. All good! Then I received a phone call which I answered from the "phone button" on the steering wheel.

That is where a problem arose. The Waze app kept giving verbal directions at the same time the audio from the phone call was sounding in the speakers. The long and short of it was I could not really understand either.

I guess when I think about it there is really no good solution: either hear the caller or possibly make a wrong turn.
that is a feature of waze, it has done that for years.

I like it, I can always ask the caller to repeat themselves, and I won't miss my turn.

2013 2.5x Base + 2014 FXT Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode