post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.5i Touring Foz
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant light during initial startup

Hi everyone,

I have a '14 Touring model with less than 1000km on it so far. Noticed over the last week that upon startup in the morning (or when the car has been parked for a while), that the coolant light comes on - in blue. Understandably, the car needs to warm up in the morning. Just wasn't sure that after sitting in the parking lot while at work, the same thing occurs. Takes about 2mins or so (should time it next time) for the blue light to go away.

Should I still be driving it while it's blue or should it wait? Seems weird that I have to let a new car "warm up" as I thought cars these days are built without having to do this?!? I don't want to damage the car during this breaking in process - what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Ltd.
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used to wait (in my 2010) for the revs to come down. That car really wouldn't shift into reverse until it did. I just wait about 20 secs and then go in my sj.

2014 forester ltd
prev: 2010 Foz Prem w/AWP
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: 4 Auto
I have a MY12, which has the same stupid blue light. It seems that most (if not ALL) the new Subaru models have this engine temperature system, which a lot of Forester owners here dislike.

From what I've heard newer vehicles that use very thin, synthetic oil need to be warmed up in order for the oil to get to its optimal functioning temperature. I'm not an engineer, but if the synthetic oils contract more in the cold than good ol' dino than the engine needing to warm up makes sense. Subaru says it's okay to drive while the light is on, just don't drive it 'hard'.

I live in Florida now, but will be moving to the DC metro area in less than a month. During cold weather I plan on letting it warm up a bit before driving, it shouldn't take more than couple of minutes to warm up and it usually takes me that long to get settled in the car and pull out of my complex before I hit a real road anyway.

I'd just keep the pedal off the floor and the revs below 3500, and you should be fine while the light is on.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
My wife's 2011 Impreza has that same light. We just give it a minute and go about our business. The light turns off fairly quickly after getting on the road.

Luckily, my STI and the Forester mule have honest temp gauges and not the blue idiot light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRunner View Post
I live in Florida now, but will be moving to the DC metro area in less than a month.
Let me bid your an early welcome.

2009 STI
2011 Impreza 2.5i
1999 Forester S
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
you can drive right away, but I will suggest drive slowly first.

Even with a temp gauges, you will also see the temp when you just start the car is very low.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 03
Transmission: 5 MT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttccnn49 View Post
you can drive right away, but I will suggest drive slowly first.
+1

The light is just telling you that the car is rather cold. It always is a good idea to drive conservatively after a cold start up to allow the engine to reach its operating temperature, and the oil to warm up before you start flogging the engine.

Most people's normal driving is plenty conservative that the temp of the engine isn't a big deal. If you like going WOT and high speed runs, let your engine warm up.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Lightbulb

+2.

The blue temp indicator turns off when the coolant temp reaches 122F (50C).

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

12 Forester 2.5X 5MT Premium (sold 11/2014)
09 Forester 2.5X 5MT Premium (sold 7/2011)
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRunner View Post
I have a MY12, which has the same stupid blue light. It seems that most (if not ALL) the new Subaru models have this engine temperature system, which a lot of Forester owners here dislike.

From what I've heard newer vehicles that use very thin, synthetic oil need to be warmed up in order for the oil to get to its optimal functioning temperature. I'm not an engineer, but if the synthetic oils contract more in the cold than good ol' dino than the engine needing to warm up makes sense. Subaru says it's okay to drive while the light is on, just don't drive it 'hard'.

I live in Florida now, but will be moving to the DC metro area in less than a month. During cold weather I plan on letting it warm up a bit before driving, it shouldn't take more than couple of minutes to warm up and it usually takes me that long to get settled in the car and pull out of my complex before I hit a real road anyway.

I'd just keep the pedal off the floor and the revs below 3500, and you should be fine while the light is on.
Since when does oil contract? Oil thickens when it cools, gets thinner as it heats up. Thin oil pumps better, which is why you don't want to flog an engine when cold. As an FYI, oil takes roughly 20-30min to reach operating temperature after coolant reaches temp.

I would say we hate the light as it causes so much confusion, hence the many threads on this.

Just throw "blue coolant light" into the custom google search box below the banner to see the many threads.

Tl;dr: get in and drive, no flooring it.

2010 Satin White Pearl FXT Limited
Mod Journal
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadcomTxx View Post
Since when does oil contract? Oil thickens when it cools, gets thinner as it heats up. Thin oil pumps better, which is why you don't want to flog an engine when cold. As an FYI, oil takes roughly 20-30min to reach operating temperature after coolant reaches temp.

I would say we hate the light as it causes so much confusion, hence the many threads on this.

Just throw "blue coolant light" into the custom google search box below the banner to see the many threads.

Tl;dr: get in and drive, no flooring it.
Multi-weight oils such as 0W-20 kind of differ there, actually. They operate like a 0 when at (W)inter or cold temperatures, and only as thin as a 20 would be when at operating temperature (100°C or 212°F), effectively making them thicker when warmed up.

Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the blue coolant light, every single question about it would be answered if people took the time to read the owners manual that came with the car. The fact that there are so many questions about it on the forum makes me sad and upset that people just can't take the 20 minutes out of their day to go over the new things in their owners manual.

Last edited by Anub1s; 05-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT Touring
Start it
Find a good choice of music
Go
Eta: RTFM
Amazing how much of it is how to use the seat belts properly.
Seems like folks are over thinking stuff these days.
I'm guilty of it myself at times.

2011 XT touring
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
Multi-weight oils such as 0W-20 kind of differ there, actually. They operate like a 0 when at (W)inter or cold temperatures, and only as thin as a 20 would be when at operating temperature (100°C or 212°F), effectively making them thicker when warmed up.

Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the blue coolant light, every single question about it would be answered if people took the time to read the owners manual that came with the car. The fact that there are so many questions about it on the forum makes me sad and upset that people just can't take the 20 minutes out of their day to go over the new things in their owners manual.
More like it has the cold thickness of a 0weight with the operating temp thickness of a 20 weight (for 0w20). Less thick at a colder temp than the straight weight would be.

+1 to the comment about not reading the manual to a multi thousand dollar piece of equipment.

2010 Satin White Pearl FXT Limited
Mod Journal
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: subaru
Transmission: cvt
Blue Coolant Light (Merged Thread)

Anybody get the cold temp oil light (blue) on the forester 2014? it shows up just about everytime thus far (2 days old) but goes away after a couple of minutes. please help!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Lightbulb

Everybody from at least MY2009 gets the blue light.

The blue cold temp indicator is for the engine coolant, not the engine oil. It's normal for it to come on when you start a cold engine, and it turns off when the coolant reaches 50C (122F).

The same indicator will turn red (blink or solid) if the engine is too hot. See page 3-15 in your 2014 OM for additional information.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

12 Forester 2.5X 5MT Premium (sold 11/2014)
09 Forester 2.5X 5MT Premium (sold 7/2011)
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: subaru
Transmission: cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewzer View Post
Everybody from at least MY2009 gets the blue light.

The blue cold temp indicator is for the engine coolant, not the engine oil. It's normal for it to come on when you start a cold engine, and it turns off when the coolant reaches 50C (122F).

The same indicator will turn red (blink or solid) if the engine is too hot. See page 3-15 in your 2014 OM for additional information.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Thanks! I was wondering where I could tell what my car temp was thanks!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
idiot light, they give us a tach even with an automatic but dumb it down when it comes to a water temp gauge ... jeez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics