Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Back up cameras (aftermarket)

41K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  broadbean 
#1 ·
Lets discuss aftermarket back up cameras. I know several people have them so help me put together a thread with information on who has what and please include a review if possible along with photos along with any system information that is unique to your install.

Feel free to also ask questions about any camera in this thread as well.

1998-2002

2003-2008

2009+

#2 · (Edited)
Im first with a question.

I have a 2007 Forester XT with a Clarion VX400 double din stereo with back up camera add on. No camera just yet but im thinking of something like this

Specs....

Description:
Lens Angle:170 degree
Sensor:OV7950/VC703,Color CMOS
TV system: NTSC

Resolution: 420 TV Lines
Effective Pixels:656×492 pixels/704×576 pixels
Minimum illumination:0.1 lux
IP Rating:IP68
Appearance size:7.25cm*3.20cm*1.60cm
Unique Design, With reference line functions

Main Features :

1,High Clear , Night Vision,Water Proof, Plastic material.
2,170 degree view angle, very small, and easy for installing
3,Low illumination and fill light automatic, waterproof
4,Special Designed For BMW E46 & BMW X5, easy to install and run
5,Designed according to the license light hole install.
6,All you need is a screen and video input port.

Car Rear View Reverse Backup Camera For BMW E46 & X5 - eBay (item 250701178316 end time Jan-21-11 09:31:39 PST)

Roughly 2.85"x1.26"

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I can post up the specs on my camera when I'm back home.

As for your choice , not bad but consider that its a flush mount so you'll have to make that BMW specific housing work on a Forester which may involve carving up some bodywork.

Things to consider off the top of my head

- Lux: this basically tells you how well it will see in dim/dark light conditions. The smaller the number the better . I can't recall where "good" starts but I think 1.0 lux is no good at all when its dark. Again, I'll check the specs on my cam but I can tell you it sees better in the dark than human eyes

IR (Infra Red) sensor: Helps see better in the dark. They look like little LEDS around the sides of the cam. Caution when installing: A firefighter told me that you should not install cams with IR sensors behind tinted glass. Your eyes may not see the IR specturm but it will see the IR light reflected on the glass and blind itself therefor you won't see anything. Much like taking a picture at an aquarium with a flash.

- Lens Angle: How wide angle the cam sees. Wider is better to a point, it expands the amount of landscape the cam will see and outputs on your screen. The wider you get, the rounded the image distorts. Too wide = a wierd picture that becomes hard to use (like fish eye lens).

- NTSC/PAL : Get the right system for your nav unit. North America uses NTSC, pretty much every else uses PAL.

#9 ·
thought i'd chime in with what camera i went with and it's quality.

i was going to go with this: Car Reverse Rear View Camera f. Subaru Forester Impreza factory-kiss
but after reading the horrible reviews, i passed.

so, i went with this: Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-CC01 Universal Waterproof Car License Plate Rear View Video Backup Camera with 7 LED Night Vision (Color CMOS/ 135 Degree Viewing Angle/ Distance Scale Line): Electronics
it's colour with night vision. though it states it's waterproof, i bothered to open it up and seal the thing with some silicone waterproof sealant. it's actually really nice. it's quite nice especially for the price. it also shows the distance scale. only thing i hate is how it mounts and how it looks. i'll take pics, later.

#10 ·
thought i'd chime in with what camera i went with and it's quality.

i was going to go with this: Car Reverse Rear View Camera f. Subaru Forester Impreza factory-kiss
but after reading the horrible reviews, i passed.

so, i went with this: Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-CC01 Universal Waterproof Car License Plate Rear View Video Backup Camera with 7 LED Night Vision (Color CMOS/ 135 Degree Viewing Angle/ Distance Scale Line): Electronics
it's colour with night vision. though it states it's waterproof, i bothered to open it up and seal the thing with some silicone waterproof sealant. it's actually really nice. it's quite nice especially for the price. it also shows the distance scale. only thing i hate is how it mounts and how it looks. i'll take pics, later.
My biggest gripe.

#12 ·
i couldn't get around to taking any pics. i'll take some tomorrow for sure. but i just noticed something idk why i didn't notice before - green trees look like cherry blossoms. reminds me of some areas around NY and in jersey city which i miss and like. i mean, if they didn't remind me of that, i'd really be bugged out about it. haha

if i were to upgrade, i'd probably go with this one:

(Sent from my Android using Tapatalk)

#17 · (Edited)
well cmos has greatly improved over ccd in digital slr and camcorders. but this one interests me being that it's sony. the past couple years i've really been into their innovation in cameras. they and another company are behind the cameras on the later iPhones (not sure about the 5, haven't looked into it).

sometime last year i read sony were working on a liquid optics system that would allow for optical zoom making the application they were fitted in to be thinner. they weren't sure it would be available by the time the iPhone 5 releases. apparently not. some other company was first at that technology with medical equipment but partnered with samsung, reaching to be the first to release phones with their system. still waiting...

definitely show results. does this unit take place of the licence plate lights?

(Sent from my Android using Tapatalk)

#18 · (Edited)
i apologize for highjacking this old thread but i didnt want to start a new one for a stupid question BUT its irrelevant to Rear view cameras LOLZ:Banane35:

alright guys, i got some question that need to be answer!

1.does it make sense to put both red (+12vlot and + rear reverse light switch) together? and and the ground to the tails ground?

2. i dont want to mess anything up, is it a good idea to add a fuse holder (like amp haz) to the red wires?

#21 ·
I'm a little confused some sellers include all Foresters, others specify year.

Any idea if and when Subaru changed their license plate lights, and if they were the same across different models like Impreza, Legacy/Liberty, Forester interchangeable?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.