Auto door lock when driving? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Auto door lock when driving?

Can the Forester doors be set to auto-lock once you drive off over a certain speed?
My Toyota does this and it is a very good safety feature.

When I turn the Toyota off the doors automatically unlock.
guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester
Default I wish my forester had that feature

the car I had previously did this and I found it to be a useful feature especially when travelling thought the city (I keep my pistol between the front seets but I would rather not have to use it)
belizeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

This isn't something I've encountered in any wiring diagrams that I've ever looked at, though it could be a capability offered in different national markets. It strikes me as the sort of thing you'd have to create yourself, and with a bit of electrical knowledge.

My immediate thoughts on the subject are that it would probably be difficult to find or create an electrical signal which says that the Forester was going above a particular speed. What might be easier to handle would be to set up a circuit that would pulse the lock button after the key is turned on, either immediately or after a brief time delay. This should accomplish pretty much what is intended of the first half of the application, locking the doors. A similar circuit could then unlock them when the key is shut off.

A bit of CMOS circuitry, a few transistors, a couple of relays, a few discrete components, knowing how to hook them together ...

Last edited by bbottomley; 08-24-2007 at 03:55 PM.
bbottomley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 04
Car Model: XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

my FXT does this through my aftermarket alarm. basically if i have the car started or the key to the on position for more than 5 sec the car locks all the doors. it will immediately unlock when the car is turned off. i have had this on all of my subies just in case. see if your local alarm shop can wire it up for you, shouldn't be that hard for em i wouldn't think. btw i also have my factory alarm still installed so there shouldn't be any issues with that.
91sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Sub kit guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X & XT VF39
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 79 reviews

^^^^same here^^^^

I've only seen this done in a Subaru via an aftermarket alarm.
sea-scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05MY
Car Model: second SG6
Transmission: 4EAT > 5MT
Gallery: 1
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

i have a MY01 S.

since i've had the car, there has only been one occasion (after washing it) where when the car was started, the doors locked. after turning the car off, the doors unlocked. and the doors couldn't be locked while the ignition was on. that was the only time that ever occured during a 2min span. idk how to get it to do that again. any thoughts?

thanks,

_taF
Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

The early alarm versions (CodeAlarm brand with the square buttons on the remote) had that feature you could enable by flipping dip switches in the main module. I set it up on my 99RS to do that. It would lock all the doors when you started the car and unlock only the drivers door when you turned the car off. The later Alarm by Alpine (round buttons on the remote) did not let you do that AFAIK. The even newer versions (not sure of the vendor) does not advertise this but I know from looking at a service manual Australian versions of other models like the Tribeca will let you enable this VIA the Select Monitor. I'm not sure about the Forester here or in Oz. I'd have to double check.

2010 Legacy 3.6 R - Limited

2013 Outback - Premium

1999 Miata - MX5
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 03
Car Model: 2.0 X AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Can the Forester doors be set to auto-lock once you drive off over a certain speed?
My Toyota does this and it is a very good safety feature.

When I turn the Toyota off the doors automatically unlock.
My european spec 03 x(S) does this throught the alarm settings. You can set all doors to lock once engine is started (providing doors are shut), and it automatically unlocks the doors once the engine is turned off. I can dig out the manual to explain how it's set if this is the same model you own..

It's not speed related tho unfortunately - this wld be preferable IMO, but it's useful as is if you are safety / security conscious.
bloo-scoo-doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official sf.org decal guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

I suppose you could always build something up that would read off of the vehicle speed sensor and run a line to the driver's side locking button.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
The early alarm versions (CodeAlarm brand with the square buttons on the remote) had that feature you could enable by flipping dip switches in the main module. I set it up on my 99RS to do that. It would lock all the doors when you started the car and unlock only the drivers door when you turned the car off. The later Alarm by Alpine (round buttons on the remote) did not let you do that AFAIK. The even newer versions (not sure of the vendor) does not advertise this but I know from looking at a service manual Australian versions of other models like the Tribeca will let you enable this VIA the Select Monitor. I'm not sure about the Forester here or in Oz. I'd have to double check.
i don't understand it. for that 2 minutes my stock alarm (i believe Alpine version) locked the doors when engine was on and unlocked when switched was turned off. i did it repeatedly to make sure i wasn't just thinking things. i was so stoked that i tried to show it off to my dad, but it stopped doing it.

_taF
Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official sf.org decal guy
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallazzFilipino View Post
i don't understand it. for that 2 minutes my stock alarm (i believe Alpine version) locked the doors when engine was on and unlocked when switched was turned off. i did it repeatedly to make sure i wasn't just thinking things. i was so stoked that i tried to show it off to my dad, but it stopped doing it.

_taF
But are you sure that you want to lose the ability to unlock the doors while the engine is running?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

You could always just... lock the doors yourself.

I think my Clifford has some kind of program to be able to do SOMETHING like this, but I haven't looked into it really. I never thought about it.

I still want to get a second siren and mount it INSIDE of the car. And I still haven't bothered hooking up the remote start. With Remote Start, anytime the car is started via remote, the doors lock and the alarm arms. You can also set it up so that the car will not start if the alarm is armed.

I'll have to look into it.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
Are you sure it wasn't from the diagnostic mode on the NAV unit?

The Tribeca shares it's NAV console with the Prius. I used to know the dealer service unlock sequence. I'll look for it, and it might allow something. I do know that it allows you to program NAV sites while the vehicle is moving, which is a benefit in itself.

I love how there's tricks built into OEM electronics enabled in other countries, but not here.

The Mazdaspeed NON-GT cars have a way to have the GT info-display by a method of key-cycles. The Vette has a Competitive Driving Mode that is undocumented in the literature. There's a bunch of cars like that, so NAV equiped Subaru's might be able to do it.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlamp View Post
But are you sure that you want to lose the ability to unlock the doors while the engine is running?
no, it was the other way around. you couldn't locked the doors with the Lock/Unlock switch with door open or closed while keys were in ignition (accessory/on positions).

here's my sequence:

- washed car. i have a leak by the way were water gets in through my rear quarter window and possibly my front windshield.

- set child saftey switch on one of the rear doors.

- went to gas station to add air to tires. as when i turned car off, i noticed doors unlocked. thought nothing of it.

- started car and noticed doors locked. turned car off and doors unlocked. thought i was tripping. so, i turned ignition to On position and doors locked. turned ignition to off and doors unlocked. while key was in ignition to Accessory position, i tried to locked doors through Lock/Unlock switch and they wouldn't lock. shut door and they still wouldn't lock.

- started car (and doors locked) and drove back to my parents' house to show my dad a new feature i found out. well, it stopped working. i tried playing with the child safey switch on the rear doors, but nothing.

what gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC5.2 View Post
You could always just... lock the doors yourself.

I think my Clifford has some kind of program to be able to do SOMETHING like this, but I haven't looked into it really. I never thought about it.

I still want to get a second siren and mount it INSIDE of the car. And I still haven't bothered hooking up the remote start. With Remote Start, anytime the car is started via remote, the doors lock and the alarm arms. You can also set it up so that the car will not start if the alarm is armed.

I'll have to look into it.
i remember when i had a couple piezo mics and a talking Viper siren in my last vehicle. i always had it set on Japanese language mode. lol

i had the Clifford RS3 in my last 2 vehicles and set up the remote start on my 5MT. yeah, the car does arm/lock with remote start and stays armed/locked when remote start has shut off or when switched off. i miss how the older Cliffords used to have the dome light dimmer.

_taF

Last edited by tallazzPilipino; 09-12-2007 at 02:59 PM.
tallazzPilipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbottomley View Post
My immediate thoughts on the subject are that it would probably be difficult to find or create an electrical signal which says that the Forester was going above a particular speed. ..
How about the seatbelt warning chime signal?
Our MY06 European spec FXT sounds the chime when:
1. the driver's seatbelt is not fasten...
2. speed reaches 25 km/h..
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics