Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Alpine ILX-007 Carplay Install Advice

13K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  groundh2o 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I've got a 2015 Forester Touring with Nav/EyeSight/Harmon Kardon and hate this anemic Nav HU. Hopefully, I can sell it for more than $1.

I've opted for the newly-release Alpine ILX-007 from Crutchfield, mainly because of the 7" screen over 6.2" Appradio 4 and no need for 4v preouts, given that I'd be bypassing to my under-seat amp. This would be my first time doing anything aftermarket to a car, so I'm wondering exactly what I need. Too ambitious?

As I understand it, I will need the following:
- Scosche SU2029B Dash Kit (free from Crutchfield)
- Metra 70-7552 Receiver Wiring Harness (free from Crutchfield)
- Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
- Metra SW18 18-gauge Speaker Wire (20 feet)
- Wire splicer
- Panel pry/remover

I'm having a tough time understanding where ae64.com comes into play. Seems like many buy stuff from him and I don't understand what I need from him.

I'm worried the hardest part of the install is getting the speaker wire bypassed inconspicuously and relatively easily to the amp. Any pointers or other materials I might need?

Thanks to all in advance and sorry if some of this has been covered elsewhere. I've read a lot of posts, but this noob just wants to be really sure.

See less See more
#4 ·
I put in a pioneer nex4000.
The problems with the alpine unit are:
No Bluetooth there are times that I don't feel like plugging in my phone, especially on short trips.
No cd/DVD, haven't used them in a while, but it's nice to have
No SD slot, you can load up a SD with music and keep it as a backup.

Don't get me wrong I have had several Alpine units over the years, it's just that this one just doesn't do it for the price..

Oh, and the screen is nice and responsive on my 4000.

Among other things.
I believe they are about the same price.

Good luck
mdr

#5 ·
Carplay, bluetooth, 7" screen, and capacitive screen is all I want. No need for appradio -- going the way of the dodo -- NEX, SD card, native GPS, etc.

Is that too much to ask? After thinking about this, I might have to wait for version 2.0. Alpine was close, but the lack of bluetooth might be a dealbreaker.

I know you can get it for $600 at Crutchfield and now appradio4 is $500 from an unauthorized Amazon dealer, but why Alpine bothered trying with an $800 MSRP is beyond me.

#11 ·
I have a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX with CarPlay. The Pioneer software is pretty crap. The radio often reboots and it interprets a touchscreen press as a press and hold quite often which translates into activating Siri when pressing the home button in CarPlay mode. With that said, I've not noticed ANY of the CarPlay issues brought up in the review (things not filling the screen, etc...).

CarPlay itself is pretty sweet. It got even better when RDIO upgraded their app to support it a couple of weeks back.

Untitled by ch0ng, on Flickr

I'm really looking forward to some of the longterm reviews on the Alpine unit. I want to put a CarPlay radio in my WRX, but I'm not dropping another $700 for a Pioneer with crap software quality.

#12 ·
That was a good review to get an idea for what the unit is all about.

The lack of iPod compatibility kills the deal for me. Even the completely bare-bones non-nav stock head unit allow for Bluetooth streaming plus an iPod in the USB port.

Also, even though I don't use Android at all, I wouldn't install a head unit into a car that requires iOS to function properly.

I like the concept of phone-driven "app radios" vs. the full-blown units with built-in amps, optical drives and bad software, but this one isn't quite there yet for me.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.