Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Aftermarket Android Pure Head Unit/Radio Install with OEM Gauge Pod

('03-'05) 
9K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  RogerClark 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm in the final stages of installing a Generic Android Head Unit in my 04 FXT, and I thought I'd post a thread showing how I did it.

Before:
The car had the OEM 6 Disk CD Changer/FM/AM Radio, with an "iSimple Tranzit BLU HF" Bluetooth interface.

This works, but it's wasn't ideal for my needs.
1) The Bluetooth interface works via FM, so you need to have the radio tuned to specific frequency to hear anything from the phone.
2) I have over 9,000 songs on my ipod classic and the OEM radio didn't have a AUX input, let alone an Ipod connection, to allow me easy access to that music. My phone doesn't have enough space for all that music and I'll be damned if I have to sync my phone every time I want to listen to a different subset of my music collection.
3) I hate having my phone sit in a cradle stuck on the dash.

Now:
1) A Joying Universal 6.5" Touchscreen Pure Android Head Unit.
The specific model I purchased is an Android based head unit that has DVD playback, Media file playback, AM/FM Radio, GPS Navigation, Backup Camera, Dash Cam, Bluetooth and Wifi Connectivity, and more.

2) Subaru 2 DIN Gauge Pack Housing Part # H0010SA950ML

This is what it currently looks like:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am a week or two from getting my 05 Forester. First thing I want to do is get the windows tinted haha. Then! I want to address the music/navigation/hands free issue in the car. This looks great but I prefer to keep it in the double din area; what did this set you back? I'm going to be on a tight budget after I get it back from the mechanics.

#3 ·
That looks awesome! I just put mine in the stock stereo location as I like to keep my stuff hidden to deter theft, but every time I see a stereo in the pod on the top of the dash it really makes me want to get one!

FTL - congrats on your (future) purchase! Make sure you put up some pics once you get your foz!

There are a few threads regarding these android head units - there are a few manufacturers - Joying, like Snowback got; Pumpkin - like I got (and my install post is here with all the steps); or I believe Parrot also make them.

Prices vary depending on the level of unit you want to get but go for around $300 AUD to $500 or $600. I'm sure they're far cheaper for you guys in the US, even after the exchange rate is taken into consideration!

I would also recommend getting all the 'extra' bits and pieces from the seller at the same time to save on postage - things like the dash cam if you want it.

I also REALLY like the reverse cam I bought as it completely replaces one of the rear number plate lights so is completely reversible if I ever need to remove it (details on my install post I linked above).

#4 · (Edited)
That looks awesome! I just put mine in the stock stereo location as I like to keep my stuff hidden to deter theft, but every time I see a stereo in the pod on the top of the dash it really makes me want to get one!

FTL - congrats on your (future) purchase! Make sure you put up some pics once you get your foz!

There are a few threads regarding these android head units - there are a few manufacturers - Joying, like Snowback got; Pumpkin - like I got (and my install post is here with all the steps); or I believe Parrot also make them.

Mosquitoccoils:
Sorry I never got the notification that you responded.
I'm checking out the link now. Totally agree; ordering at the same time to cut postage is a great idea.
I'm collecting parts as of right now so that I can do stereo, speakers, amp, and dash cam all at once.

I'll definitely add photos soon.

PS: is this the same back up camera you have? The original link you provided is for a closed sale on ebay. I'm trying to find the same model on a current sale.

#8 ·
Just started this process myself

I bought a XTRONS head unit, and also a separate adapter cable.

I've just ordered the Subaru H0010SA950ML double din gauge housing, but it won't get here for a few weeks, as its in the USA and I'm in Australia.

I suspect I'll need to cut the adapter cable and lengthen it, and I doubt the Key1 and Key2 inputs on the XTRONS head unit will be compatible with the steering wheel signalling system that Subaru uses.
I wont know which cable has the steering wheel connections on it, until I take the old 6 CD Radio unit out, and see what connectors it has.

However, as I'm a electronics and software engineer, I hope to be able to figure out how to get the steering wheel controls to work

I'll post again when I make some progress.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.