('14+) 2017 remote start (push button) instructions? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Cap'n
  • 3 Post By aggie113
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2017 remote start (push button) instructions?

I picked up my car this evening. I had remote start added at the port, but the little zip lock baggie they stuck in the glove box had two sheets of instructions in it, and both were exactly the same - en Francais.

I tried to find the English version online. It wasn't in MySubaru list of resources, and I only found the installation instructions on a broader search. Any ideas?

How does this thing work? I have to hold down the button for a long time for anything to happen, and it has a little green light around the button after you hold it a while, but that doesn't seem to indicate the car started, because it didn't.

It does start the car if I stand right next to it and press the button a bunch, so I assume it is all hooked up correctly.

ProfEntropy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 27
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Touring 2.5i PZEV
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here's the short form:
1. Have the electronic key fob with you in the car.
2. Ensure transmission is in PARK.
3. Press on the foot brake; maintain foot pressure during the next step.
4. Press the START button ... panel lights will illuminate, gauge pointers will probably swing through a full arc, AND the engine will start ... Release the start button right away like you would with a key start system.

Voila', n'est-ce pa?

GeoJosh and Busaru2016 like this.
Cap'n is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Admin
 
GeoJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12,587
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want to put it in accessory mode (engine off, electronics on) push the button without your foot on the brake.

Also worth noting you can view all of your owners manual materials on Subaru.com

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GeoJosh is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry - maybe I wasn't clear. I know how to start the car when I'm sitting in it. I'm not a total noob.

I'm talking about the REMOTE start. The extra fob with a single button on it, to start the vehicle when I'm sitting in my house. I understand the 2017 is different from previous years.

I mention I have a push button start because it appears it is a different part number from the remote start for the non-push button start models.
ProfEntropy is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Forum Member
 
Busaru2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 178
Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tourin
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfEntropy View Post
It does start the car if I stand right next to it and press the button a bunch.
Bunch of bananas???, ya ok but you sort of answered your own question. 16s needed 3 fast presses while holding it for 5-7 seconds on the third. I'll assume yours is similar
Busaru2016 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaru2016 View Post
16s needed 3 fast presses while holding it for 5-7 seconds on the third
I'd have never figured that out with my high school level French. Is that Morse code for start the car? Why would they make it so silly when it is a separate fob with only a single button? What are the lights on the fob for?
ProfEntropy is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I found some remote start instructions in the manual (see page 14 here), but it appears (a) they are outdated, (b) wrong, or (c) I got the wrong part installed at the port. It refers me to the included instructions (which are in French) for further information.

I have push-button start, but they gave me two fobs. The MY2017 manual suggests these two things are mutually exclusive.



Tonight, after I get home I will try both ways, and see if either fob is able to start the car, or only the 1-button one.

The instructions for the 1-button fob are actually on the back in small raised lettering, and consistant with the manual for the non-push button start models:
  • Start=Press 2X
  • Stop=Hold For 2 Sec



This explains why I was having problems consistantly starting the car. The instructions in the above post would start the car and then turn it right back off.
ProfEntropy is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Forum Member
 
aggie113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 206
Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Press the remote start twice in quick succession and wait for a response. A single flash and beep from the remote indicates the car picked up the signal. A double flash and beep a second or two later confirms the car started up properly. There is a bunch more info if something goes wrong but that's the basics. The car will run for 15 minutes before shutting down if it was setup with defaults. Car will also turn off after you open any car door/hood.
The 2017 is the first push button start model to have the extended range (extra fob) remote start as an option. Thankfully, the 2017 part also works on the other push button start years :)

Moo cow.
aggie113 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Forum Member
 
cyoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 7
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Confirming the instructions that Aggie posted.
The port installed remote start option is by far our favorite optional feature. We are near downtown Chicago, and it is super nice to enter a warm car during winter. Two of the remote start fobs came with this option and we keep one by our front window. This morning I remote started at a straight line distance of over 300 feet. Being RF, it will also start when the car is parked around the corner of our building.
I am sure that mileage suffers, but in winter my bones are too cold to care.
cyoshi is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know I am a little late to the game, but you don't need the remote engine starter fob if you have the keyless entry fob. I have a 2017 Forester w/ Remote engine start and I was flipping through the manual and came across this. I have confirmed this works.

*Starting the engine

To start the engine with remote engine
start system, briefly press the lock button
twice within 2 seconds, then press and
hold the lock button for 3 seconds.
1. Press the lock button briefly. The
hazard warning flashers then flash once.
2. Within 2 seconds, press the lock
button briefly again. The hazard warning
flashers then flash once again.
3. After step 2, immediately press and
hold the lock button. The hazard warning
flashers then flash once.
4. Approximately 3 seconds after step 3,
release the lock button. The engine will
then start successfully.

* Stopping the engine
Press and hold the lock button to stop the
engine with remote engine start system.

swinotai is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:16 AM
Forum Member
 
JumpingJackFlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 60
Car Year: 17
Car Model: Touring XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinotai View Post
I know I am a little late to the game, but you don't need the remote engine starter fob if you have the keyless entry fob. I have a 2017 Forester w/ Remote engine start and I was flipping through the manual and came across this. I have confirmed this works.

*Starting the engine

To start the engine with remote engine
start system, briefly press the lock button
twice within 2 seconds, then press and
hold the lock button for 3 seconds.
1. Press the lock button briefly. The
hazard warning flashers then flash once.
2. Within 2 seconds, press the lock
button briefly again. The hazard warning
flashers then flash once again.
3. After step 2, immediately press and
hold the lock button. The hazard warning
flashers then flash once.
4. Approximately 3 seconds after step 3,
release the lock button. The engine will
then start successfully.

* Stopping the engine
Press and hold the lock button to stop the
engine with remote engine start system.
The instructions above are for using your regular key fob to remote start. This has a 30ft range. If you use the dedicated remote fobs ( you should have two), the instructions to press twice apply. This dedicated remote fob has a 400 ft range and gives you audio/visual feedback that the car has started. See Aggie113 summarizes this perfectly. I can send you a PDF or JPEG of the English instructions once I return from a trip in a few weeks.
JumpingJackFlash is online now  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash View Post
The instructions above are for using your regular key fob to remote start. This has a 30ft range. If you use the dedicated remote fobs ( you should have two), the instructions to press twice apply. This dedicated remote fob has a 400 ft range and gives you audio/visual feedback that the car has started. See Aggie113 summarizes this perfectly. I can send you a PDF or JPEG of the English instructions once I return from a trip in a few weeks.
Thanks! I missed that post. I didn't know the ranges were different. Thanks for that.

Do you know how to change the remote start running time? I have the manual and it tells me to turn my car on/off until I hear a honk, but opening and closing the driver door does not cycle through the running times. I know the remote start manual gives the instructions assuming I have a key, but is there a different process I need to do if I have the keyless entry?
swinotai is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Forum Member
 
aggie113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 206
Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinotai View Post
Thanks! I missed that post. I didn't know the ranges were different. Thanks for that.

Do you know how to change the remote start running time? I have the manual and it tells me to turn my car on/off until I hear a honk, but opening and closing the driver door does not cycle through the running times. I know the remote start manual gives the instructions assuming I have a key, but is there a different process I need to do if I have the keyless entry?
As far as I am aware the run time option can only be changed by the dealer using a computer running the special service software.

Moo cow.
aggie113 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1