Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2016 How I Got Fullscreen MirrorLink Working

('14-'18) 
29K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  jakolson 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever since buying my '16 FXT a couple months ago I've become more and more frustrated with the Nav/HU. Getting MirrorLink working was an total uphill battle. But, after a couple months of tinkering, I was able to get a phone/OS combo working. The ability to use Google Maps and control Google Play Music from the HU cost me 20 bucks.

I bought a Sprint branded Samsung Galaxy S III from a friend at work for 20 bucks to be dedicated to this project. It came with Android 4.4.4. This version of Android does not work with the modified DriveLink app so I downgraded to a rooted and deodexed Android 4.1.2 rom... BINGO! I can use any Android app including Google Maps, Waze, Play Music, etc. When I need internet access, I tether the S3 to my T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv.

Not sure if it's ok to post links to modified software on here, while it's not illegal, some forums don't like it linked to.

I used an OS rom called MD4_update_FULL_DeOdex.zip for the phone OS.
I downloaded the modified DriveLink RAR, installed the DriveLink apk file and copied the the TMServer.apk file to /system/apps directory.

This solved my problems with outdated maps, inaccurate traffic, album art not showing, etc.

I posted this pretty late at night and left out some details. I'm happy to provide more details or answer questions if anyone is interested.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm not 100% sure. I don't think I know of anyone with a '15 with GPS. My sister, who lives across the country from me, has a '15 without nav.

The benefit of using this model phone, OS, and modded app is to prevent the blue screen that popps up when you launch a "non-certified" app.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Ever since buying my '16 FXT a couple months ago I've become more and more frustrated with the Nav/HU. Getting MirrorLink working was an total uphill battle. But, after a couple months of tinkering, I was able to get a phone/OS combo working. The ability to use Google Maps and control Google Play Music from the HU cost me 20 bucks.

I bought a Sprint branded Samsung Galaxy S III from a friend at work for 20 bucks to be dedicated to this project. It came with Android 4.4.4. This version of Android does not work with the modified DriveLink app so I downgraded to a rooted and deodexed Android 4.1.2 rom... BINGO! I can use any Android app including Google Maps, Waze, Play Music, etc. When I need internet access, I tether the S3 to my T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv.

Not sure if it's ok to post links to modified software on here, while it's not illegal, some forums don't like it linked to.

I used an OS rom called MD4_update_FULL_DeOdex.zip for the phone OS.
I downloaded the modified DriveLink RAR, installed the DriveLink apk file and copied the the TMServer.apk file to /system/apps directory.

This solved my problems with outdated maps, inaccurate traffic, album art not showing, etc.
Very interesting write-up! Thanks.

#5 ·
I actually had a SGS3 as well and tried this on my 2016....can you give more details please. I no longer have the SGS3 because I actually hard bricked it doing reckless flashing.

What cables did you use? OTG USB? Where did you navigate to on your phone settings to activate.. Etc.

Thanks.

#12 ·
A few questions:
How well does it work? Do you use an app to keep the phone in landscape mode? Does the reversing camera override the phone screen?

Seems like it might be worth buying an old Galaxy S3 to keep in the car and use for maps. A bit easier to hide in the console than a Nexus 7 and doesn't need a stand.

#17 ·
I'm sorry, I wiped my main phone and didn't get notifications for this thread.

I have the HK 7" with nav. With the right combination of ROM and hacked drivelink app, it worked very easily. I updated to a newer version of Android and it failed to work. It seems like the 4.1-4.3 are the sweet spots.

I bought a couple of additional apps to help out. The best one, I'll have to look up the name (button savior I think), gives you on screen home, menu, and recent apps buttons. This way when you hit home, it doesn't take you back into DriveLink home.

#21 ·
Unfortunately, HU will only play audio from MirrorLink while viewing MirrorLink. However, audio quality over MirrorLink sounds good. The only thing I miss is having steering wheel controls for music but, oddly, the next/prev buttons on front of HU work with audio apps.

#24 ·
From the manual page 155 (http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/12...3763_2017_Forester/MSA5M1710ASTIS052516_8.pdf) it supports handsets with 1.0 or 1.1

ABOUT THE SUPPORTED DEVICES
● Your smartphone must support the MirrorLinkTM version 1.1, 1.0 function.
● Available operations will differ depending on your smartphone. Refer to your smartphone owner’s manual, or consult the manufacturer.
I know 1.0 is not forwards compatible, but the 1.1 seems backwards compatible at least.

#31 ·
I bought a Sprint branded Samsung Galaxy S III from a friend at work for 20 bucks to be dedicated to this project. It came with Android 4.4.4. This version of Android does not work with the modified DriveLink app so I downgraded to a rooted and deodexed Android 4.1.2 rom...
Okay, so I got a Verizon Galaxy SIII I535 with Android 4.4.2 from my coworker who had one laying around. How in the world did you downgrade from 4.4.4 to 4.1.2?

It's now my understanding that any version newer than 4.3 has a locked bootloader preventing a downgrade.

I really wish Subaru was a little more forward looking with their infotainment system instead of designing it for only the phones available at the time.

#32 ·
Mirrorlink

In Europe you can get update for infotainment system to upgrade mirrorlink into version 1.1. Update come out in March 2016 therefore I assume it is also possible to get it in US.

After upgrade, mirrorlink works perfect with new phones. I am using Samsung galaxy S7 and Sygic navigation mirrored to subaru forester main screen. For me this is great sollution since I do not have OE nav.

I will try to search for instruction how to install update to subaru infotainment system maybe this wil lhelp your car dealers to find update also for your version of fujitsu ten infotainment system.

#33 ·
In Europe you can get update for infotainment system to upgrade mirrorlink into version 1.1. Update come out in March 2016 therefore I assume it is also possible to get it in US.

After upgrade, mirrorlink works perfect with new phones. I am using Samsung galaxy S7 and Sygic navigation mirrored to subaru forester main screen. For me this is great sollution since I do not have OE nav.

I will try to search for instruction how to install update to subaru infotainment system maybe this wil lhelp your car dealers to find update also for your version of fujitsu ten infotainment system.
Any info on the update? Im from australia

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.