('14+) 2014 Forester Harman Kardon Nav Radio - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: XT
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Post 2014 Forester Harman Kardon Nav Radio

I am pretty curious about the sound system and nav in the new SJ 2014 Forester as I'm wishing/hoping/praying I can get one soon.
I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information, so I thought I might start a thread where it could be gathered.

Here is the technical information as advertised on the SOA site:

Voice-activated GPS navigation system with Harman Kardon speakers
Voice-activated GPS navigation system with 8-speaker single-CD HD Radio®
440-watt premium audio system featuring Harman Kardon speakers with AhaTM [2],
USB port/iPod® control, Bluetooth® audio streaming and hands-free phone connectivity, and 3.5-mm auxiliary jack
Standard on: 2.5i Touring, 2.0XT Touring

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is a section of the online Owner's Manual about it:

Read First
Table of Contents
Introduction
Navigation
Audio and Visual
Other

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are only a few pictures of it so far:

It appears to be nearly identical to what is in the 2013 Crosstrek:

I noticed that the Forester unit is labeled FF615US in the upper left corner. The Crosstrek's system is labeled FM612US or FM201KS.
The 2013 Outback head unit looks quite different from these.
From researching posts on the XV and other forums, it looks like the models starting with F correspond to a Fujitsu Ten HU, while those starting with C are Clarion.

Interestingly, the head unit pictured does not seem to correspond to any of the Type A, B, C, D or E listed in the Primary US Owners Manual -Audio section.

Anyone have further info or find the above to be inaccurate? Please post!

Last edited by jtchurchXT; 03-05-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: More Info
jtchurchXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
dpm
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: XC diesel
Transmission: 6mt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

nav software comes from nav-n-go, the company behind iGO.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring XT
Transmission: CVT Rubberband Wind-It-Up

I keep reading the same things about these units in reviews. Confusing menus, small buttons, but then they conclude with "works well". I think people wish the display were larger which would make the buttons larger. In terms of confusing menus, almost every car maker has a confusing menu, so Subaru is not alone in this regard. I do know that the voice commands on my 2010 Legacy GT worked very well, I was always impressed with it.
iowasuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
New User

Car Model: XT Limited
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT

Mine has "FF715US" in the top left corner.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did not get the NAV option in my 2014 due to my wife's 2013 XV NAV. It is simply horrible. A $100 Garmin is a better unit IMHO. It is impossible to program. We have a place up state and I know the fastest way to get there. No matter what I tell the NAV in the XV it takes me through back roads and congested cities.

I simply mounted my Verizon Galaxy 7.7 4G tab using the Samsung Car Mount kit and use Google Navigation. Far superior and I can stream the voice commands, music and even video for the passenger.

Since the below was taken, I tweaked the mount and the device sits right under the climate control knobs but still allows easy access to the storage and the seat heater switches. I also cleaned up the wires. No wires are visible. I tend to listen to the directions rather than watch them so the low mounting position works great for me. I use Car Home Ultra as my dashboard.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

I haven't had any problems with the NAV so far. It's already come in handy. And being able to watch movies on it is pretty cool too (only when not moving and parking brake is on of course )
Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
New User

Car Model: XT Limited
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT

@jtchurchXT, how to you get the movies onto the USB drive? I was finally, with the help from divx support, able to register my radio so it can play divx movies. Where does one find a download place for movies?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboXT2.0 View Post
@jtchurchXT, how to you get the movies onto the USB drive? I was finally, with the help from divx support, able to register my radio so it can play divx movies. Where does one find a download place for movies?
Well, I don't want to promote piracy on this fine forum, so let me say this. Registering with DivX is for playing purchased/rented DivX movies from sources like these Find Movies | DivX.com.

You do not need to register to download from other sources on the internet where you are not renting or purchasing. DivX is just a common encoding/compression format used on the internet. Many movies, tv shows, etc. can be found from various 'free' sources on the internet that have the video file encoded using DivX (usually an .avi file). The player in your 2014 Forester also will play Xvid, MP4 and a couple other formats too.

I have just put the movies in folders on my flash drive, so long as the video file is in a compatible format and resolution, it should play (provided you are not moving and the parking brake is on a click, otherwise you just get audio and a blue screen, no picture). NOTE: You still have to go to Audio on the Sat/Nav unit and then select the USB source. Once there, select Video (if in Music mode) -then just navigate your USB drive to the desired video. If you get an error, it may not be in a compatible format.

If you want to play movies you have legally backed up from your purchased DVD collection or home movies to Divx format for use in the Forester, there are apps out there that can do the conversion for you as well. Check out this site for useful tools and walk-throughs: http://www.videohelp.com/

Last edited by jtchurchXT; 04-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

I like the nav except how it displays NavTraffic. I THINK it should show traffic as Green/Yellow/Red, but it shows it as odd exclamation points that don't really tell you anything by looking at it. I find it annoying...
cohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Nissan Maxima
Transmission: Auto

Any feedback on the useability of the Forester's Infotainment system? At the end of the below review, the commentator talks about the appalling quality of the system... That could be the deal breaker as I am not keen to go after-market.

Go to -> 11:39

Sydgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT

Just got ours yesterday. So far no complaints. Sound quality is decent. Nav is not bad. After playing with the system and reading the manual it is not difficult to use. Buttons aren't bad. Far better than the Ford SYNC system.
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydgun View Post
Any feedback on the useability of the Forester's Infotainment system? At the end of the below review, the commentator talks about the appalling quality of the system... That could be the deal breaker as I am not keen to go after-market.

Go to -> 11:39

2014 Subaru Forester XT Muddy Off-Road Drive & Review - YouTube
I just checked and my navi on my '14 Forester has "direct input" function for XM...and I can change stations with voice commands...odd!
cohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring XT
Transmission: CVT Rubberband Wind-It-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Just got ours yesterday. So far no complaints. Sound quality is decent. Nav is not bad. After playing with the system and reading the manual it is not difficult to use. Buttons aren't bad. Far better than the Ford SYNC system.
I finally got my 2014 XT Touring, the speakers sound about 1000 times better than that HK system I had in my 2010 Legacy GT. The radio is small, the buttons are small but I don't have a problem with them. I set my presets and then use the steering wheel controls. The NAV works well, tested it on a 250 mile round trip last weekend. Overall the negative reviews I read were VERY subjective. I like the system, best I've had in a Subaru so far, this is the 6th new Subaru.
iowasuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tourng
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasuby View Post
I finally got my 2014 XT Touring, the speakers sound about 1000 times better than that HK system I had in my 2010 Legacy GT. The radio is small, the buttons are small but I don't have a problem with them. I set my presets and then use the steering wheel controls. The NAV works well, tested it on a 250 mile round trip last weekend. Overall the negative reviews I read were VERY subjective. I like the system, best I've had in a Subaru so far, this is the 6th new Subaru.
+1

For a second, I thought I wrote that post! Except I had a 2010 Outback (with same mediocre H/K sound) and this is only my 5th Subaru. I'm very happy with the system. Once past the learning curve and the few minor quirks, the system works very well. Maybe it's not best-in-class which is why it gets panned in the reviews, but it does what it's supposed to do and is feature rich.
eps105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT-T
Transmission: Paddlers

Very pleased with the audio of mine once I got her dialed.
4-STAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Interior and Electronics