Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

14 Forester Bluetooth and Phone Question

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 ·
Still waiting for my Forester to come in, but this month, my contract is up with AT&T and im going to move to Verizon.

I curently have an Iphone 4, but was thinking of getting a Galaxy S4. I have a feeling Ill get the phone before the car gets here.

I am wondering which type of phone, (IOS or Android), works better syncing up with the car. The car will have Nav in it. Id like to be able to get text messages to show on the screen etc. Ive read about some problems getting all the features to work with some phones but I have no idea, which will work better.

Rob

#3 ·
I don't have the Nav package, but I do have a Galaxy S4 with Verizon. The bluetooth seems to work well and sync properly (even music), but every once in a while the sound waves seem to oscillate a little bit. It's really not that big of an issue though (it happens rarely). Besides that, Android doesn't seem to have a problem recognizing and pairing with the car.

My biggest gripe with the "hands-free" (technically not hands-free) is that there is so much user input necessary before you can make your call (receiving calls is a LOT easier). You have to first activate the voice control, then tell it that you want to dial, then you have to tell it how you want to dial, then you have to confirm, and every time you have to press the "voice" button. They really could've gotten rid of half the options menu and left it completely open without all the buttons and separate commands. You should be able to say "Dial Jon Doe" or "Dial 111-222-3333" and it should be able to do it without all that back and forth.

I'm not sure if the NAV package is different, but I have a feeling it's very similar. Best of luck!

#5 ·
I believe the 2014 Forester uses the same Fujitsu Ten head unit as I have in my 2013 Outback Limited. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 from Verizon that works great with it... Totally automatic pairing, bluetooth streaming, receiving & reading SMS text messages out loud, and replying to SMS texts using pre-defined messages. It doesn't bring across any emails, though.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.