Help me convert my trailer from utility to an enclosed trailer. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
30 Meters
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XTi - VF39 Protune!
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Help me convert my trailer from utility to an enclosed trailer.

Here is my current trailer I can fit a 4 X 8 foot sheet of plywood right down in it laying it flat. I want to use it for my tools that are outgrowing the inside of the Forester.

Basically I would like tips on what materials I can use for the roof, gate (fold down) and walls. Keeping in mind that low weight is important be able to withstand 75-80 MPH winds, and weight on the walls inside the trailer.

My plan right now is to put 4X8 sheets of plywood on the sides and install studs where the stakes are already welded in. Use a 4X8 sheet of plywood for the roof and cut to fit for door and front. I'm thinking 1/2 inch will be fine. I've considered marine grade plywood, but I don't know if it's too heavy or what. Also if it is plywood it will be painted. Isn't the Fir type of plywood somewhat moisture resistant? I don't know much about that type of ply wood either.

Can I substitute wood? I'm sure I can, but I prolly want to stay under 200-250 dollars for this. Anything more I'd just get a more expensive trailer. But right now I don't have money for an expensive trailer!

Just want your ideas, or if you have pictures of trailers that have done stuff like this to spark some ideas...Whatever.

Thanks!

>>>MAX

USMC - One Shot, One Kill. You can run, but you'll die tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Sports 2.5x
Gallery: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trailer suggestions

I think the plywood is going to be heavier than you think. I helped a friend of mine enclose a trailer using a 2X2 frame covered with foam insulating panels from the Big Orange store. We covered the trailer with aluminum siding that we salvaged from a wrecked trailer at a junk yard. Same for the roof. You don't need large pieces if you are careful. New aluminum angle was used to cover the edges. This was the most expensive part and the only new materials we bought. The door was salvaged 3/4" plywood covered with aluminum siding. Simple latches and galvanized heavy duty piano hinges or salvage the hinges from the wreck for the doors.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
30 Meters
Contributing Member

I'm thinking the plywood will add up to roughly 125 pounds. That's the #1 reason why I wanted to start this thread to see what else is out there. Also that something else should be easily obtainable and affordable. BTW the trailer was free so that is sorta what encourages me to try and use this for 2-3 years. I will eventually end up buying better, but just need to establish monies. Had a rough winter as far as hours go.

Thank again!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
30 Meters
Contributing Member

Been gone a while... Anyways how much more power for accessories can I run? After it's enclosed, I'll need a license plate light, but can I add on an acc. light inside? Any other lights?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.