Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Top Gear

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Cookie_Monster 
#1 ·
Well there were apparently 4.4m viewers last night so guess they'll have been others on here in that number?
Perhaps it's because we've become used to the style of Jezza, Hamster and Capt. Slow over the years, but personally it seemed to lack something. It was irritating in parts and some sections dragged on, although I have to admit that i'm not a great fan of Chris Evans, even as a radio show host when you're not forced to look at him.
Given the problems and delays they had actually getting the programme aired, I'm not sure if I was expecting a fabulous new presentation or something that looked as if there'd been troubles in the background. Going with the latter. I used to make an effort to watch or record the old series but doubt I'll do the same with the revamp.

#3 ·
I thought it showed promise.

It's unfair to compare the first episode with the new team with the best of the old team.

Do you remember when Clarkson, Hammond and May started? In fact at the very beginning, May wasn't part of the setup. It took years for the chemistry to get to the stage it did. That's going to be the case for the new guys.

Also, part of the Clarkson, Hammond and May appeal is that we have seen so many of their antics that there's almost an in joke like you have with your mates through shared experiences.

Give it time to settle and get it's own vibe and personality and then judge it. I think it'll be good, but only time will tell.

Finally, just remember Top Gear is primarily entertainment for the masses, with a car theme, not a full on car show. We're always going to be a subset of the audience!

#8 ·
I switched to BBC Live and Amy Winehouse towards the end, much more interesting!

Not that I was a fan of the "original" one as it was a show more than anything else but the new one was even more "fake" as well as sterile IMHO.

#11 ·
Extra Gear > Top Gear....

Some of the TG jokes were forced. Hopefully the chemistry and flow will get better as the episodes progress. I hope Chris Allen did not get a multi-year contract. Matt LeBlanc was comfortably holding his own, imo...

#13 ·
Watched it on IPlayer so I could skip the star in the reasonable rally car stuff.

I thought Matt LeBlanc done well. I wonder how often Sabine will feature in this series.

Didn't like Chris Evans....If they want Top Gear to suceed, they'll need to find someone else.

Overall it has potential

5.5/10

#16 ·
I watched it. Don't mind Chris Evans. Really not sure about the yank. Sabine is always good to watch.

It seemed like they had tried to carry on where it left off before but with a different set of hosts. I'm sure it'll improve as they find their new way.

Camera work still amazing but the cheesy ideas need to go as it may just turn into Brits versus USA every episode which will be dull.

Gigsy was right, best but was the husky dirt bike but the nomad would be ace if you lived in the American/African desert.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.