Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Suspension Bush Upgrade

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  v8250 
#1 ·
Morning All, I'm wanting to spec' up a mild suspension upgrade. This has come about as on very bumpy roads I get some slight knocks from the suspension and noting there's no camber adjustment on the FXT. So plan of attack would be as follows:

Change F&R drop links.
Add subframe locking bolts
Add F&R camber adjustment plates
Upgrade rear ARB with poly bushes

I've checked the existing original rubber bushes, all looks fine. The suspension is slightly lowered from standard and is fault free...though may renew the top bush at the same time as the camber plates. The suspension is relatively firm and I would not want to transmit further road noise into the cabin, so will stay with std bushes.

Now asking for your advice...which product/suppliers would be best for the above components? Answers on a postcode to...:wink2:

FXT suspension competion
Blue Peter
BBC Television Centre
Wood Lane
London

See less See more
#2 ·
Few of my thought on the subject. I am sure @fpan will soon join this discussion as well.

1. Would start with STI rear ARB (Still have one for sale Andrew, if you want it let me know) combine with STI ARB mounts (equally important to ARB) and SuperPolly bushes.

2. Drop links wise, absolutely agree. Best I think would be Perrin, with polly bushes. I wouldn't go with spherical pilowballs (Perrin offer them as well) but they tend to erode due to debris from tarmac, and Chris from Perrin advice to go with polly option as they last forever. You might want to consider adjustable drop links as well.

3. If you doing all above personally I would replace rear lateral arms with STI aluminium one. Doesn't increase NVH, but significantly improve traction of the rear and you won't need to enhance mounting tab for drop links on stock lateral arms.

4. Subframe locking bolts, are good upgrade, but it will slightly increase NVH, especially if your rear diff and its mounts seen better days.

5. I don't think I have heard about rear camber top mounts for standard struts. Certainly some coilovers offer that, but not over stock struts. I am sure Whiteline, Cusco and few other offers front one. IMHO after all my experience with diffrent settings of Subaru geometry, I don't think you need them. Read quite few posts on Scoobynet and quite few interesting articles provided by Fivos, and I don't think you have to crazy with your camber to get proper handling. I am actually quite sure if you do it you might mess it up more than you actually think. I am going to test Fivos settings on my car soon, and see how it behave. What I have right now, after tackle ride height is not too bad, but I am sure if I adjust geo it should be spot on.

6. I DON'T believe as I said before that actually changing any bushes in the suspension for significantly harder will have any impact for NVH. What I am sure thou you have to be extremely careful if you want to change any bushes in the drivetrain. Over next few days I am hoping to significantly update my journal, and update all my thoughts about bushes in the post I started few months back.

#3 ·
Change F&R drop links.
Add subframe locking bolts
Add F&R camber adjustment plates
Upgrade rear ARB with poly bushes
Will there be badges for the winner? :laugh:

Droplinks: You want Impreza STI 2005+ fitment (the widetrack body version)
Kartboy, Whiteline. CDF Racing might be worth a mention but I've not used the stuff personally so no idea on quality. looks like a 1 man band that's bought himself a CNC Mill though

Subframe Locking Bolts:
Whiteline

Rear (and front?) ARB Poly Bushes:
Whiteline, Super Pro, Powerflex, Superflex

There was a UK Kartboy dealer on Scoobynet once upon a time, not sure what happened to them though. The username was PS13 or PSI3 or something similar

#5 ·
Hi Lucasz, have replied in text below for ease.

1. Would start with STI rear ARB (Still have one for sale Andrew, if you want it let me know) combine with STI ARB mounts (equally important to ARB) and SuperPolly bushes.

>>How much for the STi ARB and does this come with poly bushes?+ where's best to the STi ARB mounts?<<

2. Drop links wise, absolutely agree. Best I think would be Perrin, with polly bushes. I wouldn't go with spherical pilowballs (Perrin offer them as well) but they tend to erode due to debris from tarmac, and Chris from Perrin advice to go with polly option as they last forever. You might want to consider adjustable drop links as well.
>>Ok, why Perrin and not Whiteline?<<

3. If you doing all above personally I would replace rear lateral arms with STI aluminium one. Doesn't increase NVH, but significantly improve traction of the rear and you won't need to enhance mounting tab for drop links on stock lateral arms.
>>Ok, where's best to buy?<<

4. Subframe locking bolts, are good upgrade, but it will slightly increase NVH, especially if your rear diff and its mounts seen better days.
>>Understood. Rear diff' quiet as a mouse...I imagine the locking bolts will show up any bush wear which is no bad thing<<

5. I don't think I have heard about rear camber top mounts for standard struts. Certainly some coilovers offer that, but not over stock struts. I am sure Whiteline, Cusco and few other offers front one. IMHO after all my experience with diffrent settings of Subaru geometry, I don't think you need them. Read quite few posts on Scoobynet and quite few interesting articles provided by Fivos, and I don't think you have to crazy with your camber to get proper handling. I am actually quite sure if you do it you might mess it up more than you actually think. I am going to test Fivos settings on my car soon, and see how it behave. What I have right now, after tackle ride height is not too bad, but I am sure if I adjust geo it should be spot on.
>>Understood<<

6. I DON'T believe as I said before that actually changing any bushes in the suspension for significantly harder will have any impact for NVH. What I am sure thou you have to be extremely careful if you want to change any bushes in the drivetrain. Over next few days I am hoping to significantly update my journal, and update all my thoughts about bushes in the post I started few months back.[/QUOTE]
>>That should good reading...<<

A+

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.