Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

SG Rear shocks, transition from SLS to non-SLS

56K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  doppiomalto73 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently changed rear shocks on my -05 forester 2.5XT. I went from original leaking SLS (Self Leveling Shock) to cheaper non-SLS + custom-made stiffer springs. Thought i´d share the process with you guys, since most of you probably want the non-sls shocks due to the high price of the original shocks. Here´s a small guide with some pics:

First pic: Car on stand and wheel removed. The sls shock has the extra tube in the lower portion, and thus has softer springs.

Second pic: Start by compress the springs with spring compressors, duh :p

Third pic: Use a screwdriver or other sharp tool to remove the clip to the brake hose

Fourth pic: Remove the 3 screws on the top tower after removing the plastic panel in the trunk. This will loosen the upper section of the shock/spring combo from the car.

Fifth pic: Remove the 2 bolts behind the brake disc and the whole package is loose. Use wd-40 or 5-56 or similar cause they will probably be a bit hard to remove :) muscle flex time :p

Sixth pic: Old vs New shock/spring/dust covers/top hat. Clean the rubber seatings (top and bottom) if you didn´t purchase new ones.

Seventh pic: Compress the new springs, bolt the top hat on the shock (top hat has a mark that says "out", point it towards you, or out from the car) and then mount it with the 2 bolts below and 3 nuts on the top. Fasten the brake hose with the clip, remove spring compressors, and you´re done.
Do the same procedure on the other side.

Eight pic: Back to original height.

The shocks are Sachs super touring model that i purchased in finland, and the springs were custom made by Springcoil, a sheffield located spring manufacturer. Big thanks to the member Gigsy, who measured up the springs with springcoil, and recommended these in the forum, they work like a charm. It was easy to import to sweden: started with mail contact, then phoned my credit card details (125 GBP and a +3% card fee was the cost for a pair) and waited for the package to arrive in the mail. You can have any color you want, and adjust height and stiffness to your liking. Contact Keith at Springcoil, he knows what his talking about. The total cost was less than ONE original sls shock by doing it myself, probably the price of one if you take it to a shop/mechanic :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey all you Fozzie fans!
So I'm new to the forum, but hopefully someone can help me out. I'm right there as well, needing to change a lot of parts on my '03 SG 2.0X (the only model ever sold in India, where I currently am). It's the perfect car for what I do, but there's no Subaru dealers in India any more.. (they were sold by Chevrolet back then, when GM owned a slice of the company).
My question is - does switching from SLS to non-SLS change the ride and handling of the vehicle? Is it worse or is it fine? My options here include the usual KYBs, but also Konis, and Black Art Designs competition struts. And frankly, it'd be really nice to have good quality parts for serious driving and long Himalayan road trips.

#6 ·
Nice write up. I mean to do them when I do some work but always forget to take pics. Nice colour too.
Springcoil seem to be one of those little gems that that the internet throws up from time to time. One the Mods should try to flog them some advertisng space on here. They would do well.

#11 ·
Forrester rear shock replacement

Hello people what an awesome thread. I am about to do my rear shocks on MY 05 Forester and this is so helpful. I have ordered the shock/strut from autobarn and the spring coil from dobinsons near Campbelltown, Sydney.

I will remove everything while the order is on its way.

Can't wait to finish it. I also had a look at the roof top tent at Dobinsons and loved it and I am considering fitting that to the roof.

#13 ·
Do you need to notify your insurer if you go from SLS to non SLS?

I know a guy who changed his air suspension on a Range Rover to Bilstein dampers and springs but got shafed when someone crashed into him and his insurer would not pay out due to the vehicle being non standard.

He fought and lost even though the supension components were fitted by a LR main stealer!

#16 ·
Problem: new springs don't fit to strut mount

Hi. As I was doing the same kind of swap I was surprised to find out that the new springs I bought (Vogtland, see: Vogtland Federn Subaru Forester 2 SG 30mm | eBay) don't fit the top/strut mount, even though I had bought new strut mounts, just in case if the non-self-levelling strut mounts were different from the original ones. :icon_sad: It turns out that the new strut mounts are exactly the same as the original ones, but the new springs are too wide at the top to fit. I guess I should complain to the vendor of the springs, but I thought maybe some of you forum-members would have a tip for me how to solve this?
My mechanic has found out that rear top mounts from an Impreza GC (1995-1998) seem to fit with minor adjustments. But it seems to me only to be an emergency solution to fit up to 18 year old parts to my 2005 FXT. So therefore I'm hoping someone has a better tip for me.

#17 · (Edited)
Thank you for a clear write-up, I did mine today and it made it an easy job :smile2:
(I know it's an old thread but worth adding to as the write-up is so good and still relevant)
I swapped out the sagging SLS for the Pedders Ezifit package and the car is transformed! I hadn't realised how bad it was to be honest, there's no more dragging it's sorry butt down the road whilst 'thumping' over every bump or looking lop-sided when parked up. The ride height has been restored having dropped a full 6 or 8 cm on one side in particular. The car now feel tight and as it should be, I'm VERY happy :icon_biggrin:

The two bottom bolts were seized solid, even a dose of penetrating fluid and my trusty 80cm breaker bar didn't shift them. I haven't got access to a gas torch so tried out some freezing agent which super-chills and penetrates in one dose, after tapping the bolts and leaving them for ten minutes they broke free nicely. I used Halfords (UK) "Shock and unlock" spray but there are plenty of others that probably do the same job, well worth having a tin before starting a job like this.
Halfords Shock & Unlock Spray 400ml

I bought my Pedders struts from www.subaruforesterparts.co.uk who were great, I ordered at 2pm and it arrived next morning, they were the cheapest I found inc delivery and gave good advice on the phone so I'd recommend them.

#19 ·
Just use KYB excel G japan shocks kyb334345 kyb334344 and their spring kit rc6431 (kyb also do a heavy duty spring set (1mm thicker) if carry/tow lot of load .
shocks are £50 each and springs about £40 each . Results are spot on factory ride height, the heavy duty spring ride height sits at max factory spec range .

The reason auzi had issue with spring diameter is he had wrong springs (probable SF springs) SG has pigtail top coil which smaller diameter ..

#20 ·
Hi all,
I recently bought a late
2003 SG XT and the rear end sits low (but even). The ride is fine but
I suspect I may have SLS springs with non-SLS shocks (the shocks are
kyb 334344/345).
Does anyone know how to identify if the rear springs are SLS or non-SLS? Is there a part number anywhere on them? The springs are black and have 5 turns. The rear guard sits about 2-3cms above the top of the rear tyre.The suspension is suppose to be stock.

#23 ·
Also delet rear SLS and mount:
A rear suspension lifting kit with +50kg Lesjoforce springs. Fits directly Subaru Forester SG (2002-2008). Recommended for vehicles with LPG installation to compensate its mass.
The kit includes:
+50kg Lesjoforce springs (becouse LPG tank in the rear)
Kayaba Excel-G shock absorbers
Kayaba shocks upper mounts
Kayaba protection kit (dust covers and bumpers)
OEM rubber seats

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.