Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Picked up my 2006 XT today

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Gigsy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm now living in a two Subaru household, my new 2006 Forester XT and our 2006 Outback.

The XT has 67K and I got the garage to fit my Pedders lowering kit, Godspeed brakes (4pots, grooved disks and pads up front and new disks and pads at the back, plus braided lines and new fluid) and 4 new Nokian WRA3 winter tyres.

Got a Kenwood DPX-406 double din stereo to fit and a few other mods in mind for next year:sport grille with stealth driving lamps, H&S exhaust and remap, maybe a new gear knob and uprated rear ARB 17" Revolution millenniums with summer tyres.

Drive back home was fun, 2.5 turbo engine pulls well and is pretty quiet. Seems to handle well on the Pedders kit but was going easy as the weather was horrible, the car unfamiliar and the brakes brand new!

Only bad points are I only have 1 key - suggestions welcome on the best way to get a spare cut and coded??

The starter sounds a bit strange, not entirely health sounding but it will be covered under the warranty if there is a problem.

Both fog lights reflectors seem to be a bit crumbly.

The front bumper has been resprayed and not flatted back very well, so not a great colour match.... I wonder if it can be taken back and polished and lacquered again?

Pictures to follow tomorrow.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hope you enjoy the car and a great tyre choice too for winter.

My 2009 xten goes tomorrow after 3 years of fun.

Will have a few bits and bobs for sale that I pulled out before trade in time.

Possible deep lip boot liner
Original rubber mats
K&N filter that's only been in for 400 miles.

Good to see another Scottish Foz on the forum, welcome :woohoo:

#3 ·
Congrats.

I do like the Revolutions. Don't see many Foresters with them, so that'll be quite interesting to see cone summer.

Have you got the key number/code? If so, Subaru should be able to sort it out very easily. Otherwise, there'll be a but of database checking, potentially. Should be straightforward enough though, given it is a UK car.

You should be able to do some work to improve the bumper, but ultimately if the colour match is poor then it may always be so and a respray/blow over is probably needed. Hopefully a good bit of correction might mask it though. Worth having a look on detailing world to see if anyone had any recommended products/approaches.

#4 ·
If your key is similar to my 04 XT then the cheapest option is to buy a 2nd hand one, carefully remove the blade and get a auto locksmith to code and cut a blank blade and glue this in place. This should cost < £100.

If you'd rather not fart about then i think the cost of a new key and coding from Subaru was over £200.

#6 ·
Not sure what you mean by these terms, but the autolocksmith had to recode a small chip in the key and held this in using blue tak and then seperately had to cut a new blade and then i had to match the key to the car using the coding guidance provided by Don.

#7 ·
Some locksmiths make a clone of the chip in an existing key, which means it works, but strictly speaking isn't coded to the car.

I'm led to believe that approach can be an issue if you lose the properly coded key.

So, best advice if they clone it is to use that as your every day key and not risk losing the other one.

Sounds like yours is coded though.

Cloning was an option I had to look into when I couldn't get a second FSTi key. Obviously it became a moot point.

#23 ·
Still loving the car!

Got the stereo replaced with a Kenwood unit and what a difference!

Also changed to aero wipers and they're much better.

Does anyone know if I can edit the thread title? Thinking this will be my build thread.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.