Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

I've been Tinkering !

6K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Scratch 
#1 ·
Hello, as some may know, i have just migrated to Fozzi STi ownership after being much into my Impreza P1 (which looks very much like it is now sold :icon_frown:)

The P1 had thousands £££'s spent on it and wanted for nothing, I spent many hours labour on the P1 and was cherished with a passion and driven like i stole it :rock: what a weapon it was!....alas, at my 47 yrs of age i decided my Tinkering and spending money on modifying cars was over......

..But wait.....I have been at it again!..:icon_arrow:..

..Just fitted a HKS SSQV blow-off valve (the only one i would recommend to fit)

And there is more...

Couldn't resist fitting my very subtle sounding 'Ninja' stainless back-box. decided to remove the Original 'Un-Heard'!! backbox (but keep original centre section cat'/silencer) ....FSTi now Has a very loverrrrrly deep burble now but not to loud as it wakes the neighbours!..

...Thinking of Rally Mudflaps Next :icon_idea:...now what colour :icon_rolleyes:

See less See more
#3 ·
Great Minds ! :icon_wink:

Notice your later HKS is running its Vac' pipe via a valve !

not really a fan of atmospheric DV's (being as i'm old !) but since noticing a definite spool up speed in the P1 (unless it was just some kind of placebo effect!) i am converted to this type of sequencial valve, esp' as you know it will hold max boost.!

Cheers.

#9 ·
And there is more...

Couldn't resist fitting my very subtle sounding 'Ninja' stainless back-box. decided to remove the Original 'Un-Heard'!! backbox (but keep original centre section cat'/silencer) ....FSTi now Has a very loverrrrrly deep burble now but not to loud as it wakes the neighbours!..

...Thinking of Rally Mudflaps Next :icon_idea:...now what colour :icon_rolleyes:
Is this a forester specific box?
Go for the blue, I did..lol

Attachments

#10 ·
The Original box was definitely 'original', it had Subaru and the part no. on it ! (i am mentioning this because many seem to think the imported FSTi's tend not to come with the complete original Forester system)..

..As for the 'Ninja' backbox, no, it is not Forester specific!...I had this from a previous Impreza P1 i purchased....It fitted perfectly without any modification and I was happy to fit it, the Ninja systems are of a good quality manufacture and they are not to loud (like many of the straight threw systems) Very pleased i kept this back box, it sound real nice (i also had the SS centre section but decided to keep the original Silencer/cat' to keep the noise and fueling right)

Think i will go for the Rally Blue flaps (not sure about the pink STi logo !!) Think my Fozzy will look like yours!!! even got the Pioneer Avic and Dials in the car!!!

Cheers

#11 ·
Mudflaps - noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Where I take my doggys for a walk there's a guy with a really immaculate impreza with all the right bits and

mudflaps. Effing great big red ones. The car is always clean like a show car. Looks like he'd turn round and drive 40 miles out of his way to avoid a puddle. Mudflaps - why? :crazy:

It's not going on a stage.....

#13 ·
If they're discreet I suppose they might prevent those wheelarch stonechips.

I'm not happy though.

I see another thread on this subject further up. My anti mudflap campaign might founder just like my whiteline droplinks stance. :icon_frown:

They increase fuel consumption due to poor aerodynamics. How about that?

#17 ·
I'm planning to put plain black ones on mine, just to keep the stone chips down.

As for the backbox, has it made much difference inside to the noise level, as currently considering ,my option before booking it into Litchfield for the 300BHP upgrade, for a mere £495 inc VAT, it would be rude not to :D

#19 ·
Regards exhaust, the music level of the exhaust sound in the cab has obviously gone up a tad but being as the original system was darn near silent! It is a pleasure to hear the boxer engine doing it's stuff (the Ninja backbox, as i have mentioned, is relatively quiet to most other systems on the market)

£495 is a fair price for an upgrade (Cost me £450 for the EcuTek live re-map for the Impreza, inc' £150 for licence)

Scratch, Can you tell me why the Litchfield re-map over any other reputable tuner of the STi 2.5 engine?

#20 ·
Litchfield have a good reputation, and one of the main (if not the main) importer of FSTI's to the UK they've done a lot of work on then, so at resale time it is also a potential plus point as people look out for it (I know I was).

The 300 upgrade is with no parts changes either so woulds still be just as silent if you wanted it that way (but what scooby owner would) :)

Most other times I've discussed remaps with people they've been talking £600+ for first map, so the proven Litchfield solution looks good value to me as well.

#22 ·
Ian Litchfield "originally" had all his power upgrades developed in conjunction with Powerstation in Tewkesbury (on their Maha dyno) before they went there seperate ways.

The "300 upgrade" as you call it, was their standard remap for running FSTi's on UK fuel.

Litchfield FSTi

#23 · (Edited)
#28 ·
Theoretically a well-made one might hold boost better than the stock item which is born out by the fact that my stocker wasn't capable of holding the boost once I'd had it tuned.

Having said that there are aftermarket items that vent in the stock way so open ones can be seen as a bit of a pose. Remember when Subaru were winning WRC though <he said with a bitter tear> I loved that sound. :rock:

#29 ·
Remember when Subaru were winning WRC though <he said with a bitter tear> I loved that sound. :rock:
You've got a long memory then.......although what you heard back then was compressor surge as they didn't run dump valves as they defeated the point of anti-lag somewhat! I can get surge on mine by disabling the recirc valve, in fact it's almost impossible to drive the car without getting it!

Simon

#31 ·
Fil, any chance of a shot of the Ninja from an angle to see how well it clears the bodywork etc as considering one of these myself.

I'm interested in how well it comes past the bumper, even the stock oem on mine seems somewhat short I have to say.

#32 ·
If i remember!..i will take some pics over the week-end and post them up (it really does fit a treat)..

..again, you are welcome to have a look and then you can hear it as well!

ps, feel free to remind me (if i forget)

#40 ·
Ok just had this from another mot tester on another forum

"As long as it's securely supported, not excessively deteriorated, no louder than another car of it's type and doesn't have more than a minor leak of gasses then there's nothing that a tester can fail it for".

It's handy to know as i have ordered a new tail pipe which i am going to need welding in place as the pipe i have now, looks like a piss hole in the snow compared to others and i thought it actually stuck out a little too far. When it comes it should be slightly longer as i ordered it lke this so it can be cut to just out of the rear bumper (also helps prevent smoke damage to the bumper).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.