Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  kingstonjames 
#1 ·
Chaps, said I'd give some feedback on these tyres, 225/50R17 W[98]. The Goodyear EfficientGrip's have good top 1-5 UK and Euro ratings. Have covered a few hundred miles since Monday, tyres are now nicely scrubbed...came back from Heathrow today and gave the old girl a good few leptons along the motorway, quiet'ish and wide A roads and some scenic country B's returning to chez v8250. When fitted they were inflated 32bar front/30bar rear.

First observation is that they are very quiet, which is great. The EfficientGrip mixture appears to make the steering lighter which is okay, though would prefer slightly better feedback. Motorway driving at all speeds 70-100+leptons is very good.

A road grip and on door handle approach into and out of roundabouts is excellent, though softer at the rears...there's a shade too much wall flex so will add some air. They also have no problem when four wheel drifting...did a few of these to find grip limits, they work very well with excellent feedback. Naughtily, even managed a two lane drift out of my favourite dual carriageway roundabout...the road camber is genial for this with far reaching visibility where one can carry very high input and output speeds i.e. 75+leptons >:)

B road driving is very good, handling poor road surfaces superbly though tyre sharpness could be better. Again, this could be down to air volume so will tinker with pressures.

Value for money they're excellent. From Blackcirlces I paid £445.92 fitted & balanced. As note, the 225/50R17 gives a near perfect rolling radius and therefore reads just a fraction under on the speedometer. All-in-all, thumbs up to Goodyear :smile2:

See less See more
#6 ·
Excellent tyre but not for any, even "light" off-roading.

For paved roads and off-roading the Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV 4x4 (98 V) is the better choice.

Last test of SUV tyres 215/65r16 by the German car magazin Autobild Allrad, already translated by Google translate:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autobild.de%2Fbilder%2Fsommerreifen-fuer-allradler-im-test-5654068.html%23bild1&edit-text=

OT
Nevertheless I didn't choose two weeks ago the Goodyear tyre but the Firestone Destination HP for my Forester SH, because the Firestone also has pretty good results on-road but a better rating in mud and sand, what was decisive for me.
Last weekend I tested the Firestone on the Autobahn up to 180kph and in mud and sand in my hunting area - excellent tyre for all of my purposes!

#7 ·
You may find that steering improves as they wear. New tread moves about a bit at first. Once not so deep it moves less and fell improves. By this time the carcass will have broken in fully too which always helps.

#12 ·
so 30PSI is 2.0 BAR for front and 32PSI is 2.2BAR for rear

Ive been using the above as well
I know, the following sentences are a little bit OT, but your are discussing here the tyre pressure, too.

Since a long time several European automobil associations and European car magazins (not only German ones) recommend a tyre pressure of 0.3 or even 0.4 bar more than the by the car manufacturer recommended pressure for the full loaded car.
I got that recommandation for the first time on occasion of a safe driving training by the German automobil association ADAC 25 years ago. Since that time I follow this recommendation.

With such higher pressure you get some very small, always bearable losses of the ride comfort, but a much longer life of your tyres.
The driving safety isn't influenced by the higher pressure - that's tested by the ADAC.

My tires reach since the use of the higher pressure always at least 50000km, sometimes even 70000km (previous Forester 2007, respectively summer and winter tyres) and they still had 3 to 4 mm tread depth, when I replaced them. Nonetheless I didn't and don't spare my cars.

Two weeks ago I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Dueler with a mileage of more than 50000km and still about 4mm tread depth.

Of course I drive the new Firestone tyres again with 2.6 bar as I did it with all previous tyres.

#14 ·
Your forgetting that tyre pressure increases as temperatures get warmer, inc inside the tyre.

Therefore if you pump them up cold @ 32psi, they could well be at 34psi after a short while. So if you go 34 cold, it could be 35+ after a short bit.

If youve got £160 for a decent tyre pressure monitor, it can tell you internal temps and pressures to within +/-1psi/degree C.

Myself and other track drivers i know tend to run the tyres with less PSI in for this reason including on the road.

But it depends on what works for you/style of driving

#16 ·
ok despite what i said above, ive been playing around with the tyre pressures with whats on the scooby at the mo and have found they work better (performance and mpg) with around 32/33 cold psi.

I lowered them back down to 30 psi and the handling was alot more 'interesting' so will be raising them up. The tyres in question are Toyo T1R's (admittedly not the best but came with the rims i brought and are like as new).

Though when i had RE070's they worked best (for me under pressure).

If i have non-XL tyres, then i pump them up abit more harder (ie 32/33 cold)

IM waffling now but hope the above helps

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.