Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Is this a good car?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  The Sub 
#1 ·
So my dad needs a new car, he has lots of city driving and needs to carry tools and stuff. He thought that Forester might be a good choice.

Subaru Forester AWD 2.0 110kW - auto24.ee

The page is in Estonian but u get the point. Automatic, Gasoline, 2.0 Litre engine. What MPG does this get in city? I heard someone saying that the 2.0 Litre might be a little weak for an automatic transmission? Is this true? And is the 4 speed automatic bad? If u drive 120km/h with this car is there alot of engine noise?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Speaking from my USA perspective: I've a 1999 Subaru with 209,000 miles (~320,000 km);
gets ~20-1 mpg around town with 2.4 L engine. It used to get 22-3 mpg in town. Automatic tranny.

On the highway, I don't really notice the engine noise (yes, probably different gear ratios), but I do notice
that my car seems 'easier / most comfortable' at 100 km/hr; but will do 120 km/hr steady.
Yrs ago took it up to 140 km/hr just to test.

Reliable, in my experience. New head gaskets and new radiator are about it for me.
Never need to add oil; have changed it every 3700 - 4500 km. Common grade oil.
Did otherr scheduled maintenance ...

On price, no one outside of Estonia will know the reasonable market price there.

Hope all this helps.

#3 ·
That is a great car...as long as it has been maintained, then, it will be very reliable. However, if he is going to be hauling tools and such, the really light colored interior will get many stains and dirty, so that will get old real fast.

how about a little pick-up truck?

That particular car you are looking at is the X premium and has some good extras [fog lights] etc. So, with roughly 30k mi[53k km] and that trim level for 16K euros[$20k us dollars]...I would low ball the seller at say $15k euros or $15250 euros, if they take it, great, then you can spend money on seat and cargo area covers to keep the inside nice :)

Also, check to see if the 50,000km service has been done [and all services] as the 5ok km service is a big one...say, $450 euros. Does europe have a way to see if the car has been in an accident?

Looks like it has leather seats, they may not do well with all the tools and hauling your dad does...I am thinking of grease and dirt getting all over that nice, clean, light color leather.

If that is a 2009 Forester, it will probably get around 10.6l/km to 7.8l/km....but, I have no real idea how the 2.0 liter engine performs.

Good luck!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.