Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Earthquake.

5K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Fozzie Matt 
#1 ·
I know that quite a number of members of this forum have very close contacts with Japan.
After watching the news today I really don't know how to express my sadness at what I see happening, it is just beyond my comprehension to understand what it must be like.
All I can say is that I pray that any family member/friend is safe.
That's it.

Brian

#2 ·
brian, my family and friends are all okay.

Think you hit the nail on the head there with the words "Beyond my comprehension", this is not patronising by the way, I dont think 99.999% of the uk population have any idea what its like to be in an earthquake of any kind let alone a 8.9. I was in japan in Jan 1995 in Kobe when they had a 6.8 and this earthquake was 210 times more powerful!

Its definately beyond my comprehension and I hope the death toll doesnt rise too high!

#3 ·
Just had a report via Facebook from a friend on mine that works for the energy firm...

"Control room now reported to have gone from 8x to 20x normal. Then there are a bunch of other numbers I just wont bother repeating because its enough to say they are all getting bigger outside than inside the containment unit."

Then this...

"The plant is going into melt down. Good luck folks."

Not looking good for them and all very scary. Hope the effects/damage/loss of life is as low as it can be.

#8 ·
There was a brief interview on the local cable channel with Ernie Boch, Jr., the czar of Subaru distribution and sales in New England (and the person responsible for the famed stretch Forester). He believes that a bunch of vehicles ready for shipment were destroyed but didn't yet know where they were destined for. Any way you look at it, he predicts that the worldwide market will be getting really tight.

#12 ·
Indeed, I've been getting updates from friends out there via Facebook and I've been shocked at the frequency of them.

Did you read that the force of the quake was enough to alter the Earth's axis slightly? All very scary stuff.

#17 ·
should add there both okay and being looked after, commentory goes like this:

At the disaster area, reporters come upon

It’s a dog, very dirty… must have been hit by tsunami.

It’s really dirty...

The dog is a house dog, because the dog has a collar.

The dog looks a little bit frightened.

The dog might have become separated from an owner.

Oh! Another dog!

I can see another dog next to the dog. But the other dog is not moving.

The other dog is dead, isn’t it?

I think the dog give the other dog protection.

That’s why the dog came to us to tell “don’t get near us”.

I can’t stand to watch this!

And just then,

The other dog moved!! It’s really pleasant!

Yes! It’s really pleasant!

I’d like somebody to come to rescue them.

They looks very weaken.

Oh! The other dog tries to stand up!!!

I’m very happy that they survived this terrible earthquake.

It’s miracle what they survived this horrible earthquake and tsunami.

Their life force got over the earthquake disaster….

#19 ·
Of course surviving the quake for many may now be just the start of the woes, Fukushima isn't looking very healthy and I really don't have much confidence in the assurances coming from the Japanese authorities, not least as if they did say 'yes its going to blow' the situation would be likely to get worse not better, giving them a vested interest in not telling the truth (if that is what they are doing).

Simon

#20 ·
depends on which news agency reports you believe.

BBC, we're all doomed but look on the bright side, at least your not here in Japan
ITV, Fukushima Diaichi, "Look out she's gonnie blow"
Channel 5, Your all going to die a horrible, painful death as radiation consumes the world but heres the weather!
Sky, 5h!t happens
NHK, we'll try explain whats going on, even though we dont know whats going on.
CNN, Its Chernobyl all over again and nuclear radiation clouds will descend on America, Panic and rush to your shelters people

My wife has watched the news endlessly since last friday and to be honest its getting a little bit difficult to tell which is BS, which is hype and whats "the truth" if any one knows what that is anymore

#21 ·
IT looks like the situation that seemingly can't get any uglier just keeps doing so. Now they are resorted to air-dropping bucket-loads of water onto the cooling pond in #4 reactor, which is so hot presently because of the exposed core material that the water is boiling before contacting the core rods, accomplishing nothing. The US-based NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Comission) is freaking out because the Japanese Gov't wasn't letting on how bad it was until now.

Really bad straits, thoghts with all those in / around this situation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/world/asia/18nuclear.html?hp

#22 ·
No-one really knows what is happening in there, but it sure as heck isn't ging to magically fix itself, so it will only get worse, apparnetly teams of 50 staff are going in at a time to try and get it under control despite radiation levels being well into the danger zone.

Simon

#27 ·
Matt i was in japan in 1995 when they had the last big earthquake in Kobe. We where only 4 miles from the epicentre and despite having no services because of the earthquake within 3 days we had eletricity, another 2 days water and another 2 days telephones. which shocked me coming from a country where we'd have to establish who's was at fault, whos job it is to fix it and whos going to pay for it!

Put that effort in Japan into perspective. We had no power in our area in January because the local substation flooded. it took 8 days for united utilities to sort it out!

Japan is one of the most earthquake prepared countries in the world and when a major disaster befalls the nation everyone get in and helps. Even in the huge cities there is still a neighbourhood spirit.

I hope this country never has a major earthquake otherwise it would put us back to the stone age.

#28 ·
I definitely got the impression that the Japanese mindset is one of "muck in and help". They seem to get on with it rather than waiting for the authorities to come and sort it out.

I also noticed this in NZ after their earthquake. People in suits were helping strangers out of the wreckage of buildings before emergency services arrived, at least if the news footage is to be believed.

I'd like to think we still have this self-sufficient attitude here, but doubt it! Given how many people can't even replace a fuse I don't think we're exactly overflowing with individuals who could, for example, drive an earthmover to clear up their local area after a disaster.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.