CD Electrically Whirring - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Europe
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default CD Electrically Whirring

Starting the car today there was an electrical whirring coming from the CD player, I turned off the car, restarted it - and it didn't appear again. When I got home, I tried starting the car again and the noise came back (it definitely sounds like it's coming from the CD player) the only difference this time, is when turning off the engine, the noise continues for about 10 seconds. You can stop the noise with the engine started by trying to eject the CD, giving an Error 99 code on the player. I do know there are a couple of CDs jammed in the player (which I assume must be the cause) but it has never caused this noise before. Is there anything I can do, short of paying 400 for Subaru to replace the CD player.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, if I replace the stereo with an aftermarket one - what aspect of the satnav would I lose (if any)?

Last edited by harvesl; 11-12-2012 at 12:00 PM.
harvesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
AP
Forum Member

Car Year: 00
Car Model: Outback
Transmission: 4EAT

Eject all cds from the unit and get an ipod adapter that plugs in the back of the head unit in place of the cd changer, you can then control and ipod/iphone from your head unit whilst keeping it charged.
This way you can transfer all your cds onto your ipod and keep your sat nav head unit
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Eject all cds from the unit and get an ipod adapter that plugs in the back of the head unit in place of the cd changer, you can then control and ipod/iphone from your head unit whilst keeping it charged.
This way you can transfer all your cds onto your ipod and keep your sat nav head unit
This sounds like a good idea, the only issue is - the CD won't eject. It sounds as if they're jammed. All the Eject button does for me is stop the whirring noise.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: X
Transmission: Auto

I'm no expert but it sounds like the player could be trying to perform an eject sequence but can't due to CDs being jammed maybe a disc has become dislodged somehow inside the player causing the noise your hearing but whatever the cause it doesn't sound like a cheap problem to solve as for the sat nav I have no idea maybe look at a new unit like you said or buy an aftermarket player with all of that integrated into it. There's an eBay store called dig_options you could check out. Their systems are pretty good reasonably priced and made to look like genuine equipment also I've only heard good reports from others that have brought from them.
Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Grubsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubsta View Post
I'm no expert but it sounds like the player could be trying to perform an eject sequence but can't due to CDs being jammed maybe a disc has become dislodged somehow inside the player causing the noise your hearing but whatever the cause it doesn't sound like a cheap problem to solve as for the sat nav I have no idea maybe look at a new unit like you said or buy an aftermarket player with all of that integrated into it. There's an eBay store called dig_options you could check out. Their systems are pretty good reasonably priced and made to look like genuine equipment also I've only heard good reports from others that have brought from them.
Hope that helps

Yeah, doesn't sound cheap to fix, hence I was thinking of just replacing the whole unit. However, I wouldn't really be wanting an aftermarket solution if it means losing the satnav voice and losing the steering wheel controls.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester S Turbo
Gallery: 1

TBH you can probably unbolt the top and retrieve the stray disk(s). CD drives aren't that complicated, I've had the top off more than a few PC drives to remove random objects that people thought belonged in there.
Fozzie Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie Matt View Post
TBH you can probably unbolt the top and retrieve the stray disk(s). CD drives aren't that complicated, I've had the top off more than a few PC drives to remove random objects that people thought belonged in there.
Yeah, I'd be fine with a PC drive. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable removing the stereo is the fact you have to remove all the trim around the gear-stick as well. If it was just a case of unscrewing the stereo I'd have probably removed it myself by now.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Just to update, interestingly the whirring noise isn't happening anymore (although the discs still won't eject and tells me Error 99). I noticed before that when you turn on the ignition (and after shutting the engine off) it sounded like something within the CD changer was adjusting - and this is when you'd get the whirring sound when restarting the engine. I've noticed now it's no longer making the "adjustment" noise when you turn on the ignition (or upon shutdown) so I'm not sure what to make of it.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPS-Subar...&_qi=RTM839189
This is the particular system i was looking at for my car you wont lose any functionality of your steering controls and its basically a plug and play type deal it also has some othe cool features too.

Heres also a thread from another forum member who brought this system this is how i found out about it.
Dig options systems
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
GPS Subaru Impreza RX WRX Forester DVD iPod BT Navigation HD 2010 2009 2011 IPOD | eBay
This is the particular system i was looking at for my car you wont lose any functionality of your steering controls and its basically a plug and play type deal it also has some othe cool features too.

Heres also a thread from another forum member who brought this system this is how i found out about it.
Dig options systems
The one you linked me to - is that compatible with a 2005 Forester, as I don't think it is. Also, I'm not sure they post to the UK (and whether they have UK/European maps)
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Sorry my apologies I thought it was compatible with earlier models I've just had another look and it appears not. They do ship worldwide but you make a good point about the maps that I couldn't be sure about.
Sorry about that sending you on a wild goose chase.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry my apologies I thought it was compatible with earlier models I've just had another look and it appears not. They do ship worldwide but you make a good point about the maps that I couldn't be sure about.
Sorry about that sending you on a wild goose chase.

SUBARU IMPREZA FORESTER(Pre 2007) Navigation System GPS DVD Digital TV BT IPOD | eBay

Subaru Impreza Forester Navigation Multimedia System GPS DVD BT IPOD USB RADIO | eBay

These two both seem to be compatible - I'm not fussed about the satnav really, as I use the one built into the car. Do you know what the difference is between these two? Is the latter just an updated version?

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Yes I think that's what it possibly is there doesn't appear to be much difference between the too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Europe