Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anyone fitted LED Interior bulbs?

11K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  blastertrev 
#1 ·
Thinking of upgrading interior lights to LED, anyone upgraded ? Can anyone recommend any quality bulbs for the interior and tailgate lights? Thanks

#2 ·
I fitted cheap (ebay/amazon) LED boards with 36/48 SMD LEDs to the passenger and rear interior lights. They are a tight squash but actually produce useful light in comparison to the incandescents. As for quality they've been going 6 months... The light is a bit on the blue side so make sure you read the description carefully before buying. I'm toying with the idea of red LED for the drivers map light.

#6 ·
I went with some 3200k temp LED's for my interior, no pics yet sorry, but it looks (IMO) so much better than stark white. Its a nicer, softer off-white which at night time is nicer on the eyes and actually makes things more visible.

If you can, give that temp a go over the 5500k etc first, you might be swayed. Great mod to do though, good luck :D

#15 ·
Don't waste your time with ebay bulbs, every LED I've bought from ebay and Amazon has failed within 3 months but when I got the Foz I discovered Diode Dynamics and I've had their interior and exterior bulbs for over a year now and they perform the same as the did a year ago, where others fade and fall to bits.

#19 ·
Just fitted these I'm extremely pleased how they look in the car and how bright they are, really modernise the look of the car. Really easy mod took less than 15 mins to change all 3 interior lights to led replacement lamps. Photos don't do them justice.

#20 ·
Wow, Sold!

Which brightness option did you go for? I'm thinking I want more brigntess in the boot and center and maybe standard for the map lights.

Oh and blue, I want blue map lights so I can never see rivers or motorways if I'm actually doing a map check! I'll stick to the sat nav and have cool blue lights!

#21 ·
No problems, here's my order. The blue map lights are a trait of a real grass roots forester owner, map reading and orienteering by light, hardcore, no nancy pancy sat navs here!

Not fitted the rear licence plate bulbs yet as im in process of stripping car for paint so can't comment on those yet, although I'm sure they will be fine.

1998-2014 Subaru Forester License Plate LEDs (pair)
Color
Cool White (6000K)
Bulb Model
SMD1 (16 lumens)
2x194_SMD1W-lic1$5.00
Ordered: 1
Shipped: 1
$5.00

2003-2014 Subaru Forester Map Light LEDs (pair)
Color
Cool White (6000K)
Bulb Model
SMF2 (16 lumens)
2x31mm_SMF2W-map2$10.00
$10.00

2003-2014 Subaru Forester Dome Light LED
Color
Cool White (6000K)
Bulb Model
SMF6 (94 lumens)
1x31mm_SMF6W-dom1$8.00
$8.00

Trunk: 194 HP5 Cool White (one)
1x194_HP5W-tnk3$10.00
$10.00

#22 · (Edited)
I ordered a couple of these (the 1w COB version) and was pleasantly suprised at how good they were: 31mm/36mm/41mm 3/4/6 LED 5050 SMD number plate interior light festoon - WHITE | eBay
Main reason for selection was that they were available as UK stock and had some halfway sensible heatsinking - so many cheap LED lamps don't and die an early death as a result. I didn't have time to measure the brightness, but a rough comparison with some measured LED samples indicates they are the larger part of 100 lumens. Even with the funny little windows on the Foz map lights blocking out a sizeable proportion of the light they are still a lot brighter than the original filament lamps - I can now read a map at night (yes some of us still know how to use them >:) )

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.