Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

53Racings SF5 STB Project Thread :)

12K views 107 replies 12 participants last post by  53R 
#1 ·
So I thought I'd start a project thread to help share the knowledge and experience of my SF5. Coming from Imprezas I have had to do a lot of solo searching for old information regarding SF5's which is either buried really well or just not there for SF5 Foresters. I have had real trouble getting part numbers never mind parts, so hopefully this will be a good guide for those looking to upgrade their JDM SF5 in the UK or further a field :)

So as I bought it from Japan a nice standard low mileage 50k Grade 4.5 B SF5 :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Must say I have never had a problem with part numbers

partsouq and opposed forces is your friend, as is ICP, and Nengun and nearly all Impreza stuff is direct replacement

and obviously being on here helps

What do you intend doing / what have you done

#4 ·
Yeah I have found 99% of the part numbers but even the ones I found don't ping on here and opposed forces while really good doesn't have any accessories. Previous posts were overlooked which is fine I'm very resourceful. :) Anything standard 90% of the time I use opposed forces always have done for my Imprezas. UK Subaru don't even have request numbers for some of the parts I wanted so they had to be created to order and then (NLS) on the system. :(

The Forester is a lot easier to find parts for than a 22 year old 555 Wagon though. Early cars parts really are off the books on certain items it's getting hard to find genuine stuff. Once US stock dries up that's it. I know I bought a few items that were the last ones on the UK/Japan databases then got friends in the US to order and post simple but specific nuts and bolts. Certainly need to be an enthusiastic to bother doing it properly these days :)

#6 ·
Previous posts were overlooked which is fine I'm very resourceful. :)
Unfortunately a lot of us don't venture outside of "Europe" very often.

Your hunt for a roof rack and dog guard will most likely have to be aftermarket but Subaru UK info below:-

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Great Info Don, thanks :)

That is what I found after and I ordered the roof rack and carrier off that accessories brochure :) I really want full on OEM and everything will look as it should :) I love modified but keeping to OEM parts and upgrades from STi and unseen Beatrush etc just floats my boat, well Forester :)

The boot liner I found was the right part number but I think there must be a slight UK/JDM fitment difference as it's not 100% bang on but certainly good enough. I'm starting to put a spec and picture file together so I'll update as I can :) The dog guard is completely off the Subaru books now so I improvised with suction and a cargo net which actually I now prefer as its easy to remove. :) The reason I bought the car was as a family dog mover as it has factory boot a/c I've not seen it before :) I want to remove the load cover completely but the cover clips are proving illusive. You get 2 to move about but obviously you need 4 in this instance :)

#10 ·
Cheers mate it's where the rear pockets are :)

Looks awesome!

I'm looking for a boot/load cover - where did you get it from? I'm guessing this is what the 4 plastic clip things are for?
I managed to find a dead stock one from ebay, was a random find that one I wish I could have bought a couple. The Clip covers are these fellows... When you remove the retractable cover it leave the fitment holes open so I wanted a couple more to flush fit the plastics :)

#12 ·
This is what I have bought so far :)

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:

RCM Thermostat
Cosworth Panel Filter
STI Genome Exhaust
Double wrapped turbo blanket
Walbro RCM Fuel Pump
Beatrush Radiator Shroud
Forester Genuine STi 1.3 Bar Rad Radiator Cap
Genuine STi Red Embossed STI Intercooler Hose
vf23 Turbo
Samco Intercooler Y pipe kit

Suspension Modifications:

Whiteline ALK Motorsport Bushing
Whiteline Roll Centre Kit
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushes
STi Alloy Wishbones
SF5 Pink Lateral Arm Kit
S202 Pink Trailing Arm Kit
Whiteline Subframe Lock Bolts
Whiteline H-Brace / Subframe Kit
Whiteline Front Anti-Roll Bar 22mm Adjustable
Whiteline Rear Anti-Roll Bar 24mm Adjustable
Whiteline Rear Drop Link Set (Alloy)
Whiteline HD Rear Sway Bar Mount Kit
Whiteline Rear Strut Brace
Whiteline Front and Rear Camber Bolts
Group N Gearbox Mount
Beatrush Gearbox Craddle Bushes
Beatrush Linkage Bushes
Beatrush Subframe Brace
Beatrush Diff Outrigger Bushes
Beatrush Pitchstop
Beatrush Rear Diff Brace
Beatrush Solid Prop Bushes
Group N Engine Mounts
Tein Strut Brace Front
5 Speed ICP Gearlever Rebuild Kit

Wheels/Tires Modifications:

STi Limited Wheels
234/40/18 Federal RSR

Interior Modifications:

KS3 Knock Monitor
New OEM Gearknob
New OEM Gear Lever Boot
Kenwood DVD Double Din
SF5 OEM Boot Liner
SF5 OEM Cargo Net
V2 WRX Sti Seats purchased but might not fit

Exterior Modifications:

Front Brembo Brakes
Rear Brembo Brakes
Front and Rear Discs
DEPO Smoked Side Repeaters
Front Fog Grill
Replacement Engine Sump Cover
Uprated Bulbs Front and Side

Servicing:

Motul 90PA - 2ltr
Motul 300v 15/50
Motul Inugel Optimal- 5ltr x2
Black Oil Filter & Washer £8.99
Redline LWSP Gear Oil
Motul 600

#13 ·
I'm in no great rush to get the car done as I enjoy playing with it tbh but the first job was to de chrome the fog surrounds. I managed to get some nice new fog grille covers from America. I really like them as they make the car a bit more Subaru and a bit less Chrysler !

As you can see I also swapped out the OEM wheels for STi wheels which I've had for ages and really need to get a Forester for :)

The car actually came on the S202 wheels I bought from Yahoo Japan but these are way too rare and more importantly expensive to run as every day wheels and are safely stored to go on my other resto :)

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah I have 4 now lol :D

S202, GC8 WRX, 555 GF8 and the SF5 :)

I don't have a Yahoo JPN agent so I got Mark at Brave Auto to buy them for me and put them on the car before it shipped. I picked up this S202 exhaust aswell, I literally love the S202 gear it's just my favourite stuff STi made :)

#17 ·
Next job I did was relocate the alarm siren as for some reason they decided to fit it to the firewall preventing me from fitting the nice new tein strut brace I found. :D I fabricated a bracket using the clutch reservoir heat shield to mount it on but unfortunately I don't have a pic to hand. I'll add it after :)

Attachments

#30 ·
I'm undecided at the minute. I am pretty solid on my cleaning routine and even as the family bus it will still only do 2k a year tops. It has some factory sealing from what I can see it's not like the RA. I use my vRS for anything really dirty. The job is such a mucky one I'd want it done professionally and I don't have a goto man for that at the moment.

#29 ·
Next job was a fix of the sloppy gear linkage. Even in 50k miles the slop is noticeable. I have the full kit from ICP but this is a quick fitment of the top bushes. I'll get Rich at FBTuning to fit the bottom side on the ramp to save my back in this instance :)

#37 ·
53R - re: the sti control arms and trainling links, are these the same length as the Forester? i.e. will they fit straight on?

I'm wondering if I could fit standard Impreza control arms and links to mine, it seems these are a lot easier to find...

Cheers
I took some measurements today to be 100% certain but yes they are SF5 arms which can also run on GC8s :)

#38 ·
Many thanks 53R, much appreciated.

Am I correct in thinking that the GC8 are Impreza's from '92 through to 2000? Basically I could fit any standard Impreza suspension parts from these years of Impreza to the Forester?

I'm thinking about fitting the alloy front wishbones down the line at some point as well, do you know if these are a straight swap also?

Cheers

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.